Hackintosh Dual Boot?

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Duu, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Duu

Duu Noisemaker

I'm currently running xp sp3 32bit. My pc's 64bit capable cpu, motherboard etc. At the time when I bought it I had vista on the machine I was using and I hated it with a passion.....Anyway, I've been looking into Hackintosh and all that's required to achieve this. I'm not sure if I can keep my existing set up and make a dual boot with 10.6 snow leopard on a different partition OR just fit a new Hard dic???.It seems the bios settings are crucial to the initial set up(and loads of other stuff). I've also been toying with the idea of buying all the parts specifically for this task. Has anyone any experience with these machines???. Oh and I don't want to buy a mac lol *no*

3. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

http://www.hackintosh.com/

Or

http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build-a-hackintosh-with-snow-leopard-start-to-finish

And theres prob about another 100 or so

4. Duu

Duu Noisemaker

nice one The Robot I'm almost there i've got all my disc images all the info ready, i'm just thinking of space and ease of use really. A dual boot machine would be ideal for obvcious reasons. My main motivation is I want to run Logic as I used to use it up until version 6 then it went mac only. I know it's gonna be a headache doing this but i reckon it'll be worth it. I might buy a mac and make the full change :unsure:

5. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

i would like to follow on your progress.
    please keep us updated.

6. Duu

Duu Noisemaker

Will do :wink:

7. julzblusky

julzblusky Newbie

Hey there Duu,wondered if you'd got any further with the dual boot?I ran Snow Leopard alongside Windows on a Sony Vaio vgn-bx61mn for quite some time,but just recently removed Windows altogether after buying a new pc,just use the old Sony solely for Logic now and everything works fine apart from the built in wireless,after numerous attempts to get it working I ended up trying an old TP-Link wireless usb dongle and got an instant connection.
    The installation might take a few attempts as i believe the install preferences depend on the machine,I think I went through no more than 7/8 installs using iatkos v3 to get it right and just recently re-installed using iatkos v7 which seemed easier for some reason?
    Anyway let me know how you get on or ask if you think I can help you at all :wink:

8. Duu

Duu Noisemaker

@julzblusky Thanks for that. I will be doing it and it's good to know that you've actually done it, so if I need to pick your brains it's definitely good to know!!!. I'll keep this thread updated with stuff!!. Thanks again

9. tomazzzi

tomazzzi Member

Hello,

Best way is to put it on a separate HD it will save your main OS from from mistakes.

First place to start with is www.insanelymac.com , it s the number one board for hackintosh, everything started here.

Give me more info about your motherboard and graphic card then maybe i can help you.

Hope this helps.

Bye

10. Duu

Duu Noisemaker

@ tomazzzi....Thanks for that it's a good link....I'll post up some more details in a bit.....I too reckon a separate hdd is the way forward it seems there's definiteley some risk to my existing set up which is not an option!!!!. I'll dig out the details of my motherboard and other bits!!!!.......Thanks again!!!!! :wink:

11. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

if u have an AMD CPU u can forget about it.
    but iwould use the à la card mode:
    retail Snow DVD and EFI Boot CD.
    but for AMD its not really working - intel is there straight forward.

some more pages:

http://www.kexts.com
    http://www.osx86project.org/

or if u have money u can buy/ build ur own 100% mac kompartible PC:
    but i can find the page with that offer atm.

12. Duu

Duu Noisemaker

I have got an amd in this machine and I know that defo poses problems....I've been thinking about a dedicated machine for some time ....I'm really not 100% of the what's where's and how's right now to be honest.....I've got as far as I will do it though......everyone's input is apprecited thanks!!!!!

13. Duu

Duu Noisemaker

I've found a Modbin kernal for AMD systems.......as far as I can see the instalation's the same as for an Intel PC but the kernal goes in the root volume.....I'll investigate further!!!!

14. Muze

Muze Newbie

Let us know.

15. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

so what going on after all this time?? it works? probs? gave up?? :dunno:

16. Sonar_Eclipse

Sonar_Eclipse Newbie

I was reminded about hackintosh once again by the titling of this thread, so I decided to tackle the Hackintosh with my Gateway FX P-7805.

I was surprised to find that nothing worked. I did all my research and even tried unsupported methods and even some methods specifically designed for about any scenario. Either I'm not familiar enough with PC modding, or it's just not possible to get hackintosh running on my computer. But it is, because there is a video on youtube in spanish of a guy running snow leopard on my laptop.

I recommend caution before attempting to get this working, and if you are unsure about whether your computer can be modded, then post on some forums. Most of all, Google is your friend and don't neglect to seek information when you need it. Always have a phone or mobile device handy to troubleshoot errors and kernel panics (I got one upon running both iBoots... legacy and standard). Finally, always have a USB stick with Windows or Linux on it. Linux is easy to put on a USB stick, but with Windows it's a little more complicated.

The biggest caveat to setting up any hackintosh system is that most of the methods require an existing Mac to work on (or VMWare in some cases). VMWare can be a pain in the butt if you don't know where to find the correct version (as a Mac OS isn't supported to run on a Windows PC -- but I think there's VMWare fusion), and apparently one of my problems was that I wasn't loading the EFI bootloader to the correct partition of the drive...

But all that's done, and I hope there will be an easer method to run hackintosh in the future. A method only on Windows.

Hope this alerts you all to the troubles ahead.

17. Duu

Duu Noisemaker

Sonar_Eclipse...You're absolutely right, the more I've been looking into this the more I'm starting to realise what a headachce it can be!!!. It's gonna be a while before I get any further with mine as I'm moving house in a couple of weeks. Thanks for your input the VMWare fusion point is interesting as I've heard that too. What I will say is it seems to take multiple attempts and each failed attempt can be for different reasons. Thanks again.....I will update as and when!!!

18. Sonar_Eclipse

Sonar_Eclipse Newbie

It really depends on what computer you're running. I know that there are some pretty good guides on the HP Inspiron out right now as well as many others. You can just go to the forums for that.

My biggest advice to you is to be sure that your computer can be made into a hackintosh. Check here. There's really no point in wasting your time when it can't be done.

As an alternative, I will say that there are also some people online who know how to do this, and it's probably much easier to just pay 15 dollars and watch them do it. Ask them if they'd be willing to guide you through the process. It could be the best 15 dollars you ever spent.