Hackintosh: Dangers?

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by J Addison, Aug 16, 2017.

1. sham69

sham69 Ultrasonic

There should not be any damage done to your hardware by trying to make a hackintosh,

the worst thing that could happen IMO is to be not working properly and/or mess up with your BIOS/UEFi settings,

so backing up your BIOS settings and/or make some screen capture of the most important ones to be safe,

and be prepare to make a lot of research before to start,
    watch and read some succesfull tutorials with the same hardware specs of your computer,

You'll need to choose the proper version version of MacOSX (El Capitan or Sierra, I doubt an older one will work well) in combination with CPU/motherboard/Gfx

Do you have an audio card with proper drivers for OSX ? sometimes onboard audio (from the motherboard) don't work very well.

good luck with it,

I'm using my hackintosh ( multi boot with Yosemite, El Capitan and Linux Debian) for a year and a half now, it's working good though with some limitations :

• not always very good behavior after long "sleep" state, so most of the time I avoid sleep state, it's not a problem with the use of SSD which boot very fast,
    • can't use both bluetooth magic mouse and keyboard, so I use a USB keyboard and magic mouse,
    • I don't use Face Time or othe specific little Apple apps/tools wich requires some specific authorization, although the connection to Applestore works ok no problem to download from there.
    • I don't use onboard audio from motherboard, so I use HDMI audio from my screen and audio from Avid Mbox 3, both OK.

2. statik

statik Audiosexual

.....fuck my brain, maybe i should get some sleep after these 48 hours orso

oh well one good thing though, if steve jobs comes for me due to this bizarre insult he wont be able to eat my brain as i'm pretty it ran away somewhere in the last forementioned 48 hours

3. Federico Bulangat

Federico Bulangat Newbie

Rest assured Mr Addison, an operating system can't 'fry' your hardware. Changing settings in the BIOS won't fry it either.
    Updating the BIOS could potentially brick it but I doubt you'd need to do that anyway.
    If you've bought wisely, which it looks like you have, you'll have minimal issues installing OSX on a separate HDD on your PC.
    Use 2 separate HDD's (one for windows and one for OSX). Disconnect your windows drive if you're still worried about accidentally overwriting your windows partition.

And unless you're careless with OSX Disk Utility, running OSX will not affect your windows partition, unless you navigate there, which you can, and start deleting stuff, which you could if you had a utility to rewrite to NTFS formatted drives (which may be a standard feature in later versions of OSX - not sure though as I'm still on OSX 10.8.5 :rofl:)
    But the question is, what software do you want to use on a mac, unless it's Logic Pro, that you can't use on a PC?
    I suspect that because you're here, you may be inclined to use the odd crack or two :dunno:.
    At present, there is much more choice available for Windows than Mac. AAX is a problem for mac warez users, whereas in windows, there are lots of AAX goodies. Having said that, I'm a mac (hackintosh) user and I've bought everything I need that make money with so I'm not too bothered about the lack of warez for mac.
    The benefit of Mac IMHO is stability and functionality, but that's when comparing Windows 7 to OSX 10.8.
    Operating systems have evolved a bit over recent years so I don't know how Windows 10 stacks up to OSX Sierra but I imagine it's still not a sleek.
    Word of warning - there are still a number of developers that don't yet support the latest OSX, so you'd probably be wise to install an earlier version, rather than Sierra.

4. blacknblue

blacknblue Producer

dropping it on your foot?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List