Hacking Reason's Redrum Patterns in Logic Pro X

Discussion in 'Logic' started by FadedShadows, Feb 7, 2018.

1. FadedShadows

FadedShadows Ultrasonic

Had a question come in the other day and decided to make a video about it. In the end, I was surprised at how well the drums sounded when I Rewired a Reason Redrum rack into Logic. Keep in mind; you can use any version of Reason to do this in Logic Pro as the Redrum drum machine is almost timeless.

In this video (Part 3 of my youtube Rewire series), I go a little deeper down the Rewire rabbit hole and show that you can hack the MIDI patterns in Reason Redrum and how to edit those patterns in Logic, plus import in new patterns from Logic's MIDI loop library and have Redrum play them. I also show how to route & separate audio tracks from Reason into the individual bus channels within Logic Pro. The result was shocking to me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Vader

Vader Platinum Record

22 minutes of boring bla,bla, bla.....

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. FadedShadows

FadedShadows Ultrasonic

I'm glad it's so boring for you! :cool: Here's an idea! Instead of mouthing off, how about giving some constructive tips, my goal is to become better at what I do, and serve all the wannabe dark lords out there!, or are you too Techno Dark for that? :dunno:

5. Config

Config Kapellmeister

6. FadedShadows

FadedShadows Ultrasonic

My Point exactly! Reason makes it extremely hard to do MIDI out, to record the MIDI values, aka Redrum Patterns, coming from Redrum into the Logic while in Rewire mode, without monkeying with some 3rd party virtual MIDI cabling, especially on a crApple. ;-) I used MIDIPipe, but just could not get Redrum to pass the MIDI data back into Logic to record, that is why I said that. Im sure its a lot easier to do with Ableton on a PC with Tobias's virtual MIDI solution.

I agree with you, Ableton on PC is the bomb, especially with Reason! I love how it is effortless to route MIDI; IMHO Reason just does not do it so well. There are other issues that Piss me off about crApple and why I plan to move to an all PC platform by the end of this year, I'm just keeping my old macpro to migrate my projects. I really like the new Bitwig and MAGIX Samplitude Pro X, I'm even venturing into the land of Vienna Ensemble Pro, I love what I can do with it, Amazing how It works in VMware. And I hear that VE Pro v6 now supports Rewire.

7. vanhaze

vanhaze Platinum Record

8. Config

Config Kapellmeister

Oh i didn't noticed that Loopmidi is Windows only.
    Well, it's pretty easy to setup and start with a simple click and now i have added 24 midi bridges myself (you can add even more by clicking the plus sign).

Attached Files:

9. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Tobias Erichsen's virtual MIDI tools are emulations of the IAC Driver and Network Setup Utilities that are, natively, built into macOS.

Don't hate.