Hacintosh beyond Mojave?

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by northwinds, Feb 6, 2022.

1. northwinds

northwinds Kapellmeister

Hi all,
    I've been running a Hacintosh for quite a few years now on various different builds and have been very happy with it.
    With with the latest version sof the mac OS written primarily with the M1 chip in mind, is there any likely future for the hacintosh?
    I'm still sitting on Mojave as upgrading a hac is always a pain - how is everyone else doing?
    I'd love to explore new features in the latest version of Logic, but is it worth it?

3. luminosity

luminosity Ultrasonic

Right now im also on Mojave, i will upgrade my pc next month (i9 12900k) and i will go back to Windows.

Not sure but i dont think there is future.
    All that stuff is coded for the m1 and for running those things on a normal cpu its getting "emulated" with rosetta no?

I can also imagein that in a few years OSX only supports fully M* processors?
    Maybe im wrong but thats my guess.

4. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

I guess Mojave is still far from being obsolete.
    If you use Logic, going back to Windows is not an option.
    If you don't use Logic, which other software/plug-in/driver has exclusive advantage for M1 mac?

5. vuldegger

vuldegger Producer

i was on high sierra for a while, was working perfectly. then i realised how restricted macos is, so i went back to good ole w10

6. notrace

notrace Producer

This seems to be the new direction for Hackintosh! She's supposed to be doing a tutorial on how this is done shortly.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. luminosity

luminosity Ultrasonic

WTF, she talks about VM stuff? :D

Sure you can run it like this in the future but you will not get the full performance out of your hardware. Because it is still kinda "emulated" and thats costs more performance. In the "old" why you can make like OSX uses your components nativly.

8. northwinds

northwinds Kapellmeister

Yeah i watched this a while back, but not really the route I want to take :-(

9. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

How about using OpenCore Legacy Patcher?

10. clone

clone Audiosexual

Logic 10.6,10.7 updates aside, is there some other reason to upgrade your OS past Mojave? Because I cannot think of any which are audio production related.

11. itsybitsy_

itsybitsy_ Kapellmeister

I have a dualboot Win10/OpenCore hackintosh with Big Sur on a H370 rig with i7-8700. Everything is smooth as silk.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. northwinds

northwinds Kapellmeister

Now that sounds interesting - any details please?

13. northwinds

northwinds Kapellmeister

I've not as yet tried opencore - I've used all the previous installers and boot loaders - any hints on the opencore installation?

14. itsybitsy_

itsybitsy_ Kapellmeister

There is a detailed guide here:
    https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/prerequisites.html
    You can also search for OpenCore EFIs for your motherboard and stuff on Github.
    Don't forget a full NVRAM reset before installing!

15. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

depends what you want to see,
    I got Big Sur running on my i7-4770, igpu, 32GB ram hackintosh, works okay for basic Office and YouTube stuff,
    I basically stopped using my i7-5820K 1080Ti hackintosh which was stuck on High Sierra due to Apple/nVidia war and lack of driver support, I'm using it as gaming PC only nowadays,
    I'm using mostly M1 MacMini now, it matches performance of any recent 6-core Intel while being dead silent and fully supported by latest Apple ecosystem,
    if I wanted to go hackintosh again, sole reason would be high-end graphics and other expandability via PCIe - in that case I'd have to spend crazy amount of money because graphics cards remain unavailable or extremely expensive - 1555$ for AMD RX 6800 XT is way over my budget!

she's really cringy in her videos, her supposed magic is nothing fancy, and she earns money from doing basic stuff for noobs, her behaviour hurts hackintosh community philosophy (sorry for rant, but that's what she's all about)

:chilling:

16. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

smae here, I don't even have macOS installed on my PC anymore.

17. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

Basically what he said.

Regarding Teresa’s videos, Some people might find it cringey, but others find them useful. Her new way involves installing an OS over ProxMox, which is nice, but I really want to find out if installing MacOS (or Win/Linux) over ProxMox as a VM or a container will allow me to use it for audio/video production.

18. itsybitsy_

itsybitsy_ Kapellmeister

I like Teresa, she is funny as hell. The hypervisor way is suitable if you are using different OSes at the same time or changing hardware often. I don't think that the hypervisor itself is hogging the system, so you can use it for a/v work (but don't forget, she is using a 700 usd 16 core i9 so it's really a monster rig).
    I am doing my graphics/video work on MacOS and music/gaming on Windows, but not the at same time :) So that's why I am happy with the dualboot OpenCore system.

19. luckyLuke7

luckyLuke7 Ultrasonic

The future is Linux but that's for another discussion. There will be some m1 clones available on aliexpress during the next 5 years.
    Apple would change again to some new tech by the end of the decade.
    **Hacintosh is so much powerful and the bang for the buck you get that apple had to move their architecture as it was embarrassing.