Guys Do You Like this Type of music

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by Mat O, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Mat O

Mat O Guest

Guys Do You Like this Type of music

3. dtmd

dtmd Platinum Record

what kind or type is (no, but..) that? what about gals?
    nice time of posting.. and song lenght..

4. DJK

DJK Rock Star

solid mix

5. Mat O

Mat O Guest

Done on 50 $ Creative speakers and 5$ USB Soundcard, but In a well treated room. No mixing is done, Just the programming and balancing with automation.

6. hani king

hani king Platinum Record

very nice track ,i dont dont know about you guys
    but i remembered the exorcist theme while listening to mat o track phoenix
    could be the theme bell sounds ?
    cool

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  7. Mat O

Mat O Guest

Thanks for the Comments, Hani .... DJK....

8. Pupi

Pupi Noisemaker

Nice

9. electriclash

electriclash Guest

good ear :like::like:

10. Kinghtsurfer

Kinghtsurfer Audiosexual

Great mix... Love that tight low end... If you did this on cheap speakers, your mixing skills rock!

Musically not entirely my cup of tea... but a great listen nonetheless.

11. Mat O

Mat O Guest

I do have a lynx Hilo, a modified HS 80m and a Senheiser HD 650. Haven't used any of that in a long time. May be the smaller speakers are doing it for me.

12. Shitty speaker can make you focus on the midrange because they can be more prominent. About 8 years ago when I came back to recording I had a 2.1 computer speaker system that someone gave me. I like the mixes from back then. It forced mr to really focus on the midrange. Mixes translated really well. The high end only went up to something like 14.5 khz and I had to really dial in how much of that sub woofer I needed to hear in a room that had literally no tuning with bare walls, ceiling and floor. Those were the days.

Your mix and music really aren't my thing, but since I am on the road while traveling (and will be for the next three weeks will be away from my monitoring), listening only with Sennheisser IE80 ear buds through a tab, can't criticize anything I am hearing. It sounds good to me.

13. Mat O

Mat O Guest

Hey,Superliquidsunshine what kind of music you mixed back then,,, can u post something you did on 2.1 speakers

14. There is only one piece that I have a copy of but needs be remastered as I misplaced the original mix and the stems file I had archived. The one on Soundcloud which is about six or seven years old is actually uploaded from mp3. Peter's Dance, basically a haunting melody that subtly morphs between orchestral instruments, written for a friend when I found out that he was diagnosed with a terminal disease. I am out of the country but will work it when I come home and send it to you. The low end is trashed and needs some semblance of separation. Give me three weeks.

15. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

You should use some kind of stereo imager, sounds well balanced but almost mono, all in the center.

16. Mat O

Mat O Guest

Thanks for the comment ,Rudolf

17. Mat O

Mat O Guest

I listened to the soundcloud version, Peters dance seems fine to me... clean

18. Clean, yes, but it lost so very much in translation from the original mix. It is an mp3 downloaded from soundcloud and then re-uped back to soundcloud. It lost depth, width as well as everything below about 90hz is muddled and horrid. It must either be re-mastered or re- recorded, and I really don't know if I want to recreate it, although it might turn out well, I don't know if I can recapture the feelings I had when it poured out of me that weekend those years ago, or at the moment I could handle it emotionally. I'm having a rough go right now.

19. Mat O

Mat O Guest

What parts have you recorded in that song ? The resonance on the first note sets it up nicely, what have you done on the first note for that prolonged note length, Do u remember? and the piano motif in the middle layered with some ambient noise have u done it purposely to add contrast or is it a dusty ( no offense intended ) piano sound? Sorry.. too many questions:)

20. It was a bunch of years ago that I created this track so I will try my best to answer your query.

I was really sick with the flu and had a temperature of over 102° and stayed home while my wife and daughter were traveling for an ice skating competition that my daughter was competing in that weekend when I heard that my friend Peter was diagnosed with Lou Gerhig's Disease. I was very sad. Peter was a filmaker (his grandfather a most well known German language novelist, creativity runs in the family) who had moved on to painting and was doing well, his work selling for over 10K and being collected by those in the know (it doesn't hurt if your wife is a curator at The Getty Museum and knows everybody in the art world). Peter said that he was at peace with his fate and would "go out dancing", which would be the fuel of my fire, impetus and foundation of the piece that I would write for him, a gift as well as a vehicle to express my love to him.

I had just gotten back into recording and also had been turned onto the scene by a student that I was tutoring/mentoring who wished to focus on writing and recording a song for his big sophmore project at the International School. He gave me a warez copy of FL Studio 7, brought over a horrible little Behringer 25 key keyboard controller, the least expensive one he could find and so we had the makings of a little ITB studio. I had no sound card or microphone and just 20 buck speakers. The off-brand headphones I had sucked, so monitoring, to say the least, was a challenge.

I had played the instruments that come with the DAW and didn't like the sounds. After looking around the internet discovered a thing called a torrent. One of the instruments I found that was available to try was Rob Papen's Albino. That bell sound at the beginning is a patch from that. The other instrument that I played on the track, all the oboes, clarinet sounds, violin and viola are from the original Miroslav Philharmonik instrument that took forever to download and forever and a day to figure out how to unrar and to install as well. I was a newbie and no savvy for anything related to computers and am pretty much the same now.

I didn't use the piano roll. I recorded most tracks in real time and in a few places made my own loops. The reverb is Fruity Reverb. The piano is also the piano that comes with the DAW and the crackly and airy sound is from a sample. The EQ that I used and thought that sounded totally amazing and still do was the Nuendo equalizer which I found at Magesy.

21. Mat O

Mat O Guest

Thanks for taking the time,,,,:like: