Guitarists: Which Wha Wha Plugin Actually Sounds Good?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Lois Lane, Oct 17, 2022.

1. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

No, because I know how I play, I know how I'd be wah-ing while I'm doing it so then I just do it with the mouse on playback. If I have a chance I'll find a solo. I also tried HoRNet wah but it seems buggy.

2. Strat4ever

Strat4ever Rock Star

I don't use a Wah plugin because If I have to bother to use an expression pedal I may as well just use a real Wah, I have my original Crybaby that I bought in the early 70's as well as a Behringer HB-01 Hellbabe , this is a lot more practical and simpler, besides being well constructed and sturdier than a lightweight plastic expression pedal.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
  3. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Straight out of the Omnisphere 2.8 Manual.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

Wah Wah

The WAH-WAH FX unit was modeled after classic wah-wah pedals of the 1970s. It’s a fun and versatile effect that doesn’t sound like any of the other Trilian Filters. This FX unit works both as a sweeping wah-wah and also as an “auto-wah” envelope filter effect by using the controls on Page 2.

PAGE ONE CONTROLS

[SWEEP LFO] RATE
    Controls the speed of the LFO’s Sweeps.
    When Synced: 16x, 8x, 7x, 6x, 5x, 4x, 3x, 2x, 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64, 1/2D, 1/4D, 1/8D, 1/16D, 1/2T, 1/4T, 1/8T, 1/16T
    Unsynced: 0 ~ 8.8 Hz

[SWEEP LFO] DEPTH
    Controls the sweep range of the LFO.
    Range: OFF ~ 100%

[SWEEP LFO] SYNC
    Engages and disengages synchronization of the LFO rate with the host’s tempo.

[TONE] FREQ
    Controls the Center Frequency range of the filter wah.
    Range: -10 ~ +10%

[TONE] Q
    Controls the Resonance or emphasis of the wah frequency.
    Range: -10 ~ +10%

[TONE] WIDE
    A phase reversal that inverts the left and right modulation for a stereo wah effect.

PAGE TWO CONTROLS

[AUTO ENV] THRESHOLD
    The audio level at which the Envelope Follower modulation begins.
    Range 0 ~ -90 dB

[AUTO ENV] ATTACK
    The time of the Envelope Follower modulation beginning slope.
    Range 200 ~ 8000 ms

[AUTO ENV] RELEASE
    The time of the Envelope Follower modulation ending slope.
    Range 25 ~ 1500 ms

[AUTO ENV] POLARITY
    The polarity of the Envelope Follower modulation.
    Choices: HIGH/LOW, LOW/HIGH

SOURCE
    Drop-down menu that allows a choice between LFO and AUTO-ENV as the source of the wah-wah modulation.

LEVEL
    Adjusts the overall output.
    Range: 0 ~ 13 dB
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crying Wah

The CRYING WAH is modeled after the classic Vox™ Cry Baby wah-wah pedal, used by Clapton and Hendrix, and pretty much everyone else! It includes a nice compressor at the end of the path to compress the filtered signal.

PEDAL
    Controls the frequency (wah) of the filter.
    Range: 0 ~ 10.0

[AUTO WAH] SENS
    Controls the depth of the envelope applied to the filter.
    Range: 0% ~ 100%

[AUTO WAH] ENV
    Controls the response of the envelope follower. The envelope reacts faster at lower settings and slower at higher settings.
    Range: 0.1 Sec ~ 1.5 Sec

[COMPRESSOR] INPUT
    Sets the input level to the compressor.
    Range: -12.0 ~ 12.0

[COMPRESSOR] SUSTAIN*
    Controls both the threshold and output gain of the compression effect. Higher settings lower the threshold and cause more gain to be made up, while lowering the attack.
    Range: 0 dB ~ 36 dB

[COMPRESSOR] RELEASE
    Adjusts the amount of time that the compressor takes to stop compressing once the audio has dipped under the threshold level.
    Range: 0.1 Sec ~ 2.5 Sec

[COMPRESSOR] GAIN
    A gain make-up stage that adjusts the overall output to compensate for compression level reduction.
    Range: -inf dB ~ 9.54 dB

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. ampworks

ampworks Producer

The Helix ones are the best i think, but also the old line 6 amp farm ones are ok too.

5. madbuzzin

madbuzzin Platinum Record

I'm talking about how using a foot seems like it can crate more natural variations than automating with a mouse/knob. Thats what I was curious about. Wha on guitar seems to be more feel, while wha on a synth or something can get away with being more calculated. I dont know. I have a sustain pedal that came with my midi keyboard, may try to automate that with a wha and see if my buddy I record like it

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I guess I really should have demoed the Kuassa before spending instead of listening to a video. I don't really like it as no matter how I tweak it. I guess I'll go ahead and buy a Morley, plugins be damned!

7. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I guess it depends on your skills. You can also automate it with a fader if you're good at it.
    I even used a gamepad stick to automate the wah pedal position of a guitar solo track back in the day. Lots of fun.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. Sylenth.Will.Fall

I get that with a pedal, our brains are instantly drawn to the feel of an 'on' or 'off' option, but could you not persevere with it for a few days?

9. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Yes, sure I will. To my ears the frequencies shifting at every spot on the pedal no matter how I play with the wha unit are both irritating and unnarural. I've used humbuckers as well as single coil guitars to the same result. With Archetype Plini and Fortin, AmpliTube, Guitar Rig etc, it's basically all the same thing. My Strymon Iridium isn't with me which is what I'd usually play through, but I'll take your advice and keep on keeping on. Thanks.

10. Sylenth.Will.Fall

@Lois Lane

I've been looking to see if I can find any Mu-Tron bargains on EBAY. The best I came up with was £400 or $450 (+taxes) You weren't kidding when you said they were going for silly money. (Most were around the 1500 mark)
    One other possibility though is Amazon sell lots of Wah Pedals. Morley/ Dunlop etc.starting around the £50 mark. If you are an Amazon Prime member, you get to send them back if they aren't right for you.