Guitarists: Which Plectrum Do You Favor

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Lois Lane, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I've so far broken two of my favorite picks, both casein Charmed Life and each of which cost about $35. I'm feeling foolish. One I snapped while I was putting it in the "pick pocket" of my jeans, the red one which was super special, and a blue beveled number which was divided in two when I closed the leather holder of my Elliot McKinney capo, it was in the pick pocket. I still have three left but am now seriously paranoid about them breaking. If they are destroyed I will just use and be very happy with the Blue Chips which I love.

Funny side story...I was in my back yard playing what in my mind was my Martin D-15M while thinking that it sounded amazing with the new Phosphor Bronze strings that put on the day before, so much different than the Martin Retro that were on it, more punchy and brighter than it ever had been. I looked down and I was actually playing the D-18. I laughed at myself as I am sure you are doing right about now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  2. oldskoolproductions

oldskoolproductions Producer

My favorite Guitar Picks would be the Black Hole and the Switchblade from V-Picks. They both have teh same specs, but the black hole has a hole in the center for better grip.

[​IMG]

3. Strat4ever

Strat4ever Rock Star

I used Dunlop Nylons from the thin white right up to the hard black , but for most part it was the medium greys. I've used Dunlop almost exclusively since the 70's, they didn't break like the plastic or tortoise shell picks, I've had metal picks made from quarters and some from gem stones made for me by friends, but the JD Nylons were always my favorites they used to be around $1.00 for a dozen. I used to buy them in a plastic case of 50 assorted for about $5.00. Now the prices they charge today are ridiculous $11.50+tax for a 12 pack, I bought one pack because I needed them at the time. Since then I ordered 100 nylon guitar picks of a brand called Alice from China which cost me $10.00 free S&H, I gave away about half to guitarist friends, because I don't need 100 but that was the package deal I got. they are every bit as good a JD picks. So JD lost a loyal customer of well over 45 years, And now since the others I told about the deal liked the picks I gave them, they want to order some also.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. tylerv

tylerv Platinum Record

dunlop jazz III has my go to for the last couple of years. great for precise fast picking.
    jazz3.jpeg

i also like the dunlop big stubby 2.0 mm for when i want a slightly larger pick
    bigstubby.jpeg

5. lpu2n

lpu2n Producer

I use a very stiff bass pick I got at a concert as my primary guitar pick. :rofl:
    I play a lot of metal and I find downpicking, alternate picking and chugging so much easier with a very hard pick. Some people think I'm crazy, but it's just down to personal preference. Now I'm used to it and other picks feel to weak to me.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Tob

Tob Platinum Record

Depends on what I play, I tend to swap ...

But if I had to pick one it would be, good old simple ...

[​IMG]

7. rollerball

rollerball Platinum Record

For studio use and general playing, I use something very similar to this:
    Same shape and thickness, but a different brand.

For live, I really love the Dunlop Max Grip Jazz III picks. They have extreme amounts of grip and there's no way they can slip out of your hands. Really helpful since my hands get very sweaty.

[​IMG]

8. oldskoolproductions

oldskoolproductions Producer

[​IMG]

Better then rest...

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. Daddy Lovebone

Daddy Lovebone Ultrasonic

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. eXACT_Beats_

eXACT_Beats_ Rock Star

11. tylerv

tylerv Platinum Record

man, i need to check that maxgrip jazz III out. ive never come across one but looks like it may be the "perfect" pick

• List
  12. JCF22

JCF22 Member

13. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Has anyone ever tried a toenail?

14. JCF22

JCF22 Member

yeah but i just couldn't get a good enough grip on her toe

15. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

Which plectrum?
    I like the yellow ones.
    GUEST_3c3bdcd8-f1a3-4aa7-810a-bbfa9961f5ff.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...for guitar and bass respectively. I used to use slightly lighter gauge for guitar (0,88mm I think), but then noticed I liked the picks I used for bass worked better for guitar as well.

17. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Although the online store is closed until this weekend as last month orders broke records and the small 2 man shop needs to play catchup, Charmed Life is using a new material which is a polymer much like Vespol (Blue Chip picks are fabricated from it) with qualities such as sliding effortlessly over the strings and sticking in your fingers like nobody's business. They are also stupid expensive but I've asked a couple of 1.0mm picks to be added to my order of three of the galalith (casein) that I've been waiting for.

I somehow misplaced my Blue Chip TD40. I am really pissed at myself.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  18. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

• List
  19. Daddy Lovebone

Daddy Lovebone Ultrasonic

Hey there midi-man, I'm not implying that an inexpensive pick is cheap or no good, but rather what I am saying is that since the Walmart family is the wealthiest in the country and that they pay their employees peanuts, don't hire full time so they don't need to pay benefits, care not one iota about the working conditions of their supply chain toilers and only look at the bottom line to line their pockets, that I vote no with my wallet because I just don't cotton to their awful, ranking turd odor tactics and refuse to give them my business. The picks seem to be made well though.

20. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Yes they do as you have stated. I am sorry I misinterpreted your original statement. The picks are pretty good when your hands get sweaty those notches on the tail help in holding them