Guitar tuner - Lazy solution and interesting too!

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by phloopy, Jan 27, 2018.

1. electriclash

electriclash Guest

:dunno: what a downer; everyone shitting on this new tech without a single person having tried it. Time is valuable. But to each their own :metal::metal::cheers:

2. electriclash

electriclash Guest

3. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Exactly the reason I got one of these. I play six string and twelve string acoustics, and go jam with different people. Some play standard, some half step down. This thing makes it dead easy to adjust and retune for these jam sessions, either the six or the twelve. And if you think I'm being lazy with the twelve stringer, haha, I don't care. It took a restringing session down to 20 minutes.
    Works great in a live venue, I can tune while someone is talking to me, lol.
    There's a bass version that's supposed to be coming out too. The first version used the mic on your phone, so I doubt it would have worked as well (not at all in a venue) the Roadie 2 picks up the vibration through the tuning pegs. It's also got a tune up feature for guitars with sticky nuts where it always tunes up to the note. All in all, it's a great piece of tech so far. I've had it for almost a month now.

4. DoubleSharp

DoubleSharp Platinum Record

One slight issue...

A guitar can never be 'perfectly' tuned. Some (many) of the frets are (slightly) out. Playing out of open C Major chord position requires a very subtle but slight change in comparison to playing an open position E chord, at least in my opinion. And that is part of the beauty of guitar.

Does this auto tuner allow for those subtle cents of difference ? It sort of defeats the point if the human has to then turn the tuning peg, even if it's an 8th of a turn.

Dare I say that for the $129 you could get some really good tuning pegs/machines that would be $$$ better spent.

Still very cool. Especially for roadies.

In the studio this is a far more interesting tool. At least it would be to me if I was recording a lot of guitar. A guitar that 'never' goes out of tune...

https://www.evertune.com/faq/faq.php

It's a shame no one seems to have done a really good youtube video on the Evertune bridge. Maybe it's not as good as they say....

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Daaamn, that's stupid (video in the OP)!
    We actually play live and need to tune quickly in between songs. TC Electronic Polytune (pedal) all the way (tuning all strings at the same time). Takes 5 seconds tops.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

I wouldn't use this in a studio. All instruments tune to the same tuner.
    It's just a matter of convenience, really. For example, retuning a floating tremolo guitar after changing strings requires several passes before you can lock it down. After it's locked down, you still have to use a regular tuner to fine tune it. But this gets you through the passes alot quicker.
    Time will tell how it stands up, and how sturdy/roadworthy it is. Seems to hold a charge pretty well.
    The app works well for creating your alternate tunings. I've got 6 string standard, 1/2 step down, drop D and they all work well. It tunes my 7 string also. Also have the same tunings for the 12 string.
    I had a buddy who had the Gibson auto tuners on a Les Paul. One of the servos broke, and then it was useless. But yeah, when it worked, 4 seconds tops to get it tuned.
    I liked this one because it works with so many instruments that I have.

7. Riot7

Riot7 Platinum Record

You can get the tronical tuners for about the same price.

It baffles me why more guitar companies haven't started putting these things on their guitars by default. The technology works. Those things are amazing.

• List
  8. "Gimme ur E" works for me and has for decades. I won't play cowbell though because it has always has hurt my ears and messes up my hearing. If it was a cowbell or nada, it would just have to be nada. I have also always have done my best to stay as far away from the drummer and/or percussionist as I possibly could during gigs or rehearsals. Ouch!

I have a couple different tuners on my phone and tablet if I need one.

I too have the Polytune in the clip-on version. I bought one for my daughter and one for myself. Mine I think disappeared when I believe my wife vacuumed it up and threw away the full bag before I realized that it was missing and could rescue it. I procured my daughter's when she decided to stop playing the violin. I still think I'll get the Peterson one of these days.

9. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Agreed Baxter :wink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List