Guitar Sound

Discussion in 'Rock, Metal' started by gompo, Mar 28, 2014.

1. gompo

gompo Ultrasonic

hi,

First of all, i have never played with a guitar vst's or kontakt libraries.
    I am looking forward in creating a electric guitar sound (like David Guetta - Ain't a Party ),
    which vst or library should i prefer ?
    Is it mandatory to use a guitar rig & what is the basic function of guitar rig???

3. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

the guitar in David's song sounds a bit like Red Hot Chilli Peppers guitar sounds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcXfpS5qATg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfOdWSiyWoc

Guitar Rig is just a set of FX plugins which you will need to get those guitar sounds. If you are going down the kontakt route then use a clean guitar sound and route it through the fx. There are lots of guitar fx suites to try, personally I like amplitube, and its not as greedy with pc resources as NI Guitar Rig is.

You may be able to find some presets that someone else has created for some of the guitar fx vst's, but you should be able to find a preset already installed (try funk guitar sounds) and will only need a little tweaking to get close to that sound

4. gompo

gompo Ultrasonic

bro still a doubt,
    which vst should i go for???

5. imjoeyokay

imjoeyokay Newbie

Hi, I personally use a Kontakt library called Shreddage 2 for my digital guitar work alongside Guitar Rig and an external amp sim plugin called LeCab.

The function of Guitar Rig is to simulate a typical guitar effects setup. This is usually your Amp Head - > Effects -> Cabinet

While Guitar Rig isn't necessary it is a helpful and easy to use program for guitar effects. Another good alternative is Pod Farm, and many people even get away with more basic effects built into most DAWs.

For example here is a project I composed entirely with Shreddage, Guitar Rig and Trillian (A bass synthesizer)

http://soundcloud.com/tydirium/smokerface

Best of luck!

6. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

I think RHCP mainly use Fenders so try that as a starting point for the guitar sound tonality. Use a clean sound and then route it through the guitar fx.

7. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Get a stratocaster (the guitar used in both videos). Stratocasters have a pretty distinct sound compared to telecasters (for those of us who play guitar), even though telecasters will get the job done aswell. Plug it in. Play/record it. Add pedal/amp/cabinet simulator plugin. Compress. Use some slight overdrive (in that fx-order). done.

Can't be done with synth plugins.

8. gompo

gompo Ultrasonic

Your project is awesome.. :)

Thanks,around 60% of what i want...
    :)

9. tater_one

tater_one Kapellmeister

Ok buddy, this is what u want!

You're looking for a vst that actually makes the guitar noises. That would mean you need samples of guitar noises. There are a few choices. There is Ample Sound, Rob Papen - RG, and Sugar Bytes Guitarist. These are guitar models which are standalone vsti's.They are kinda crappy if you ask me.

Then there is a few collections of samples for Native Instruments Kontakt. This is probably your best bet. There is Vir 2 - Electricity, Prominy - V-Metal, Impact Soundworks - Shreddage, etc. These are samples that can be played with a midi keyboard through the vsti Kontakt.

So you would pick which samples you like, play them with your midi keyboard through Kontakt, then use a guitar modeling vst like Guitar Rig or Amplitube to add the distortion or fx you prefer!

I think that is the part you are stuck on! Guitar Rig is just a fx suite, it doesn't make any noise on its own. It just adds distortion or flanger or whatever to your audio you pass through it. You have to make the audio first to send to it. You would use Kontakt samples, or any other kind of audio sample, then run it through Guitar Rig to get the desired distortion.

If I wanted a RHCP sound, I would load Prominy - SC into Kontakt, which is a collection of Fender guitar samples (which is huge by the way), then once I played my midi keyboard and recorded a riff of guitar audio. Then I would load Guitar Rig on the same track and add some light distortion and a hint of reverb to get the RHCP sound!

So no, you don't have to use Guitar Rig or Kontakt. You could use any vst you want to add distortion and fx instead of Guitar Rig. But Guitar Rig and others like Amplitube, TH2, etc, are guitar oriented and designed to get good guitar sounds. Same as Kontakt. No you don't have to use it, you could use any samples of guitar you wanted. But, those Kontakt libraries are designed to be easier to use and get better quality sounds.

Personally, I play guitar, and I think learning how to use all these vst's is just as hard as learning how to play the guitar for real. Then when you know how to play guitar, you will realize that all these vst's will fall short of the real thing!

Good Luck mang!

10. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

me too, guitar anytime rather than samples :wink:

11. gompo

gompo Ultrasonic

Thanks, this is really awesome.. :)