Guitar Pups bridge replacement - Seymour Duncan "Distortion" or "JB"

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Mister Grimm, Apr 18, 2020.

?

Seymour Duncan bridge "Distortion" or "JB" ???

1. Distortion SH-6

25.0%
  2. JB SH-4

75.0%
  1. Mister Grimm

Mister Grimm Kapellmeister

Hi all, recently a buddy sold me 2 guitars:
    Schecter Omen extreme 6 diamond series FR (from 2008 if i'm correct) with a flight case and an Epiphone SG (2006 model , i'm not 100% sure) with an emg 81 installed in bridge.
    All those goodies for 200 euros and in great condition! It was a friendly price so i stood lucky...

NOW ON TOPIC !

The schecter guitar is marvelous ! Really heavy 'cause its mahogany with maple top
    but it feels like a great instrument,and playes like one! With just a little twiking, minor trush rod rotation i got to set it up and got it in great shape! It feels solid and i m into invest some more euros to it for even better sound.

And now the question , i m about to change the pups , i think the ones it already "wears" are not bad but anyway i m thinking of upgrading and i'm between Seymour Duncan JB or Distortion, heard that mahogany pairs great with both of these in bridge possition, any recomendations ? Which one is more ballanced in a mahogany gutiar with maple top? I'm mostly recording and mixing rock, heavy rock, metal !

Also any recomendation for pickups that pair with them for neck replacement?

Thanks in advance!

3. n0xin

n0xin Rock Star

I really don't think that You should replace that PUP if your preferences are heavy rock and metal. My 2 cents would be, try to sett up PUP height against strings, and enjoy! (they are active PUPs so don't worry about "wearing" them)
    Also a great price for that guitar! :thumbsup:

4. AudioTee

AudioTee Kapellmeister

I don't know if SD offers this feature on their website, but I would listen to both before you make your decision and compare with what you have now.

5. ThrashHead

ThrashHead Platinum Record

You're right, those SD pickups sound much better in heavy bodied guitars. Put them in a light body and they are really "tinny" thin sounding. I just got rid of one in a PRS tremonti because it sounded like playing through a soda can.

What don't you like about the EMG pups though? They are kickass for hard rock and metal.

6. Mister Grimm

Mister Grimm Kapellmeister

My schecter does not wear emgs, just schecter passive pups (which are nice tbh) but i want to upgrade my setup for better recording features, cleaner tone, better responce !
    Iown a bc-rich assassin with 81-85 and i m not happy, actually i am a bassist and did not had many guitars to compare ....Now that i have i really know that i m not a huge fan (imho emgs 81-85 is good for drop tuning but i play in standard and drop D)

7. Torrao

Torrao Platinum Record

OK, if you play in standard tuning ANYTHING will work to record hard rock or metal. So if you don't like EMGs (and I don't blame you), the Seymour Duncans will work just fine. I prefer alnico pickups so my vote goes to the JB.

The JB and the Distortion are the same pickup with a different magnet, so if you end up not liking it you can just buy another magnet and change it. It's pretty easy.

8. Bent

Bent Noisemaker

I've used both in numerous guitars. The JB distorts better across a range of tones, the distortion is more treble focused.