Guitar Pedal Type of Reverbs (vsts)

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by zero-frag, Jan 20, 2015.

1. zero-frag

zero-frag Producer

Hi,

I recently got into ambient sound design and I can't quite find the reverb that I want. I would like to achieve a sound somewhat similar to good reverb guitar pedals, but with VST's.

So I'm looking for unrealistic, very ambient, FX types of reverbs. Not realistic convolution ones.

So far, I found valhalla reverbs to be very good, Native Instruments RC24 is pretty nice and Waves RVerb is quite good too.

Do you guys have any other suggestions ?

3. Clandestine

Clandestine Platinum Record

Good digital Reverbs, AMS RMX16 Digital Reverb or Lexicon 224 but they UAD-2 maybe outside that the Eventide 2016 lots to choose from.

4. gorri

gorri Ultrasonic

If you use cubase/nuendo, try fiddle with Roomworks and the hold button. If used intelligently, it can make both cool FX and nice ambience..

K-))

5. audioplg

audioplg Ultrasonic

if you want unrealistic have a look at 2caudio Aether.
    also with convolution reverbs as well as the many thousands of impulses you can download you can put any sound into them to use as an impulse.

been doing that for years but with some its only come to noticed more recently as in this example
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABMBcstWZqU

6. chopin4525

chopin4525 Producer

Guitar Rig has a wide array of different reverbs and delays. ;)

7. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ Zero-Frag,

!?! :dunno:

Why not 'Convolution Reverbs' ? It's in that field that you may certainly find the most 'unrealistic', 'very ambient', 'FX Types of Reverb', 'Complex', 'unusual',... Reverbs ! *yes*

What you must to do (at my humble opinion !) is to simply find unusual, unrealistic, complex,... 'Impulse Responses' ('IRs') to load within any 'Convolution Engine(s)' (Plugins) that you have at hand, or to simply find some Convolution Engine(s) that are available for FREE through Internet. By the way, some of these are at least as good that some 'commercial' ones, to not say better in some cases !!! *yes*

And for these 'unusual' Impulse Responses, check the following Collections/Libraries (among others !) :

'Spirit Canyon Audio Kaleidoskopy Impulse Responses'

'Spirit Canyon Audio Sanitarium Impulse Responses'

and if I was you, I'll pay a great attention to the following 5 'Syverb Impulse Responses' Libraries *yes* :

'Syverb Impulse Responses'

Nevertheless, if you plan to use 'usual' Reverbs (by 'usual', I mean usual/common 'VST Plugins'), try to use/find either some 'Non-Linear' Reverb Plugin(s), or at least to use 'Non-Linear' Algorithms, Presets,... if available. *yes* :wink:

8. zero-frag

zero-frag Producer

Thanks ! For some reason I always thought of convolution reverbs as purely realistic reverbs for orchestral stuff and the likes. I've watched a few videos on convolution reverbs, I'm definitely gonna give it a try and try some funky impulses

9. chopin4525

chopin4525 Producer

You got it. Using convolution you can get very creative, that's why I suggested Guitar Rig. The convolution inside is named Reflektor and has more to do with sound design patches rather than creating super-realistic spaces. :wink:

10. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

ariesverb (free) has a sublime cavernous reverb... haven't heard anything commercially as good...

112db redline reverb has some nice presets that you tweak to your satisfaction....lots of knobs etc. on the interface

also toraverb.. have gotten some otherworldly sounds with that and piano one... *yes*

11. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Producer

IR`s are a interesting way to go, loads to find for free. If I remember right ... Von Geschaftemacher has been posting nice links ...
    Very ambient if favoured is the multi-plug Molekular(Reaktor) perhaps more like a case full of pedals, rather steep to find in to but there is nothing like it. Sounds amazing, beyond imagination, fucking ... and yes, CPU hungry.

12. zero-frag

zero-frag Producer

Seems like Ariesverb is no longer free unfortunately. I just had a go with Toraverb, it's amazing, exactly the kind of verb I was looking for, thanks !

Thanks ! I'll check out his posts for IR. And I'll give a shot to molekular too, I only scratched the surface when I tried it. :)

13. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

14. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

i am in love with the Ableton Reverb, its perfect for ambient and with the different cpu settings, you can get some nice effects too. other good reverbs are the Vallhala stuff.