Guilty listening pleasure?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Herr Durr, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

RIP Israel Kamakawiwoʻole .. wonder if he singlehandedly sparked the uke resurgence

@returnal had a Welsh lass for a penpal many years ago.. she gave me this on vinyl :)

@eboe first time to hear this.. killllerrrrrr :like: dat a55.. dat verb...whoosh

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2016
  2. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

I am going to show my age here. LOL

The guy was a master at age 13..

3. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

@midi-man yeap seen that movie too... master at 13.. gone at 35.. impressive eh

4. returnal

returnal Rock Star

@Herr Durr I wonder if she was as depressed as the girl who gave it to me on . . . cassette tape!

5. returnal

returnal Rock Star

Yeah, that sounds great . . . and the opening actually reminded me of one of my other great guilty pleasures . . .

6. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Lemmy had an impeccable taste in music, he listened to all sorts, and when I say listened people in his company were not allowed to talk over records :wink:

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

and maybe you won't believe me.. when it started to play I almost thought it was actually a cover of this song...

8. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

A real shame he died to young..

9. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Here si a nice mellow one for you Herr Durr

You might can use this on your long drives also..

10. e-minor

e-minor Platinum Record

You guys have given me a lot of good oldie songs to sample...hmmm

11. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

They were a great band.

12. Impressive

Impressive Guest

Madonna - Live To Tell.
    :rofl:
    And every Owl City song released before 2012. I'm sorry, but Owl City is an amazing guy/musician. I cannot resist songs like "I'll meet you there" "Umbrella Beach" "Dreams Don't Turn to Dust" and "On The Wing". :wink:

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. thethirdperson

thethirdperson Producer

I've always had a soft spot for the cheese. I love older happy hardcore and all the UK hardcore stuff till about 2005. I also was brought up on all the dance music from the mid-90s and have a real soft spot for stuff like the Real McCoy's, La Bouche, Scatman John etc. Like seriously I grew up to all the music on Night at the Roxbury and since my parents are immigrants I was never exposed to classic American music and cheesy dance music is my first love.

I also really had a big thing for Nu and Rap Metal and the likes of Limp Bizkit, Papa Roach, Korn Slipknot and stuff like that in middle school. I actually would love hear some newer Rap Metal but I don't think that genre really exists anymore. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be more than happy to listen to some.

As for the most embarrassing of all the very first CD I ever purchased was the first Backstreet Boys Album. To this day it's still one of my favorite albums but who cares I think Max Martin is really an excellent producer as is Dr Luke for that matter. I'm not the biggest fan of a lot of popular contemporary music but Dr Luke is a seriously gifted producer.

That being said my taste might be embarrassing to some but it's really not stuff I'm personally ashamed of liking. Good music while is a bit subjective is still good music and there's no reason to be ashamed especially consider all that machismo bullshit men have to be raised on. If you like it fuck what anyone else thinks ;)

14. thethirdperson

thethirdperson Producer

Oh and I was one of those guys that was all about Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen that was quite a catchy tune.

And respect to whoever said they like ABBA they are a fantastic group

15. thethirdperson

thethirdperson Producer

Lastly, as of lately I've been on a Nu-disco and 80s music producing kick. So it's only fair that I'm quite fond of the precursors to the genres. I'm especially fond of A-ha and Chic among many many other things. I really love me some good funky cheesy disco music that stuff is fantastic.

16. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

@Herr Durr: your avatar reminds me of this. Elgar's 'Nimrod' from the Enigma Variations. Truly one of my favourite guilty pleasures...

17. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Really a beautiful peace of music.

18. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

@DarthFader and this "Nimrod" is reminded of Beethoven's "Pathétique" Sonata 2nd movement by your post... :wink:

( but I don't feel particularly guilty about it either..)

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  19. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

20. John V

John V Ultrasonic

Oh Shit Here I come!