Guide to: Clean OS + bulk VST install + backup & recovery?

Discussion in 'PC' started by molatov, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

It's true, many plugins use some kind of hardware ID to register.
    I almost forgot... legit plugins... legit plugins.. rings a bell :rofl:

2. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

I am in a transition phase back from mac (hackintosh) to PC and I've gotta say, the way Windows handles plugins is a horrible f***ing mess!
    An Extra Folder for VST2s, VST3s, 32 Bit, 64 Bit and on top of that a specific user folder in hidden folders… just a horrible mess. In Mac you have exactly 2 Main Locations with 1 subfolder for every plugin type and that's it!

And then I start Presonus Studio One and the scanning of every single plugin fails – legit plugins, btw! What's wrong? Is it a WIndows 10 thing?

3. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

That's why I force the installation of vst2 x64 in a custom folder + subfolder for each brand.

I do the same with another custom folder for the (few) old 32 bit vsts, bridged to my x64 custom folder.

I delete manually all other vst3 and vst2 32, not required but usually default installed.

I forgot: even if installation is not customizable or there is some mismatch like double nested folders, you can move manually where you like the vsts - they'll work in anyway.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  4. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

Back when i first learned how to symlink manually, I wanted to symlink my Documents folder to my other drives where i keep "my" stuff.
    But I realized the OS and programs might not like that newer data all those other folders in my "Documents" folder, so it is not was easy as just relinking it.
    Well I realized the first time I saw a "My Documents" folder, that it was not "mine" after all. There was stuff in it and it kept appearing even thought I did not put it there! It is used more like an accessible "Program Data" folder designed to make casual users be unable to find their files! So, I placed a shortcut to "My" folder on MY other drive and tried to keep out of "Documents"- HAHA
    I tried to avoid having programs put stuff in there, but that is a losing game.
    These days I just symlink anything that is so big it bloats backups (backup program ignores the links) so long as it will be compatible with an older restored backup.
    Of course I want the rest of those those folders to be current and matching ONLY to the complete setup, because they match the state of the OS/ & registry, and I don't link anything that the OS or programs won't work without, or is a mess to restore!

Yeah, I did not figure out what was wrong but I saw it didn't work on posting. I'll have to check that out!

5. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

I recently cloned my drive with macrium,I even tried eseus but after starting the clone it always mounted the EFI partition aswell. I ried removing the driveletter etc , no luck, even teh support had no clue. I never hat this before. Idea ?

6. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

You're right, it's a mess. But it is not Windows placing the plugins but the Apps e.g. Steinberg's DAW. They started to place the VST3 in yet another path without any logical need.

Normally there wouldn't even be a need for different paths for 32 and 64 bit plugins. The DAW would analyze the .DLLs interface/header and determine what will be the right one in the given circumstances. And that works: Ableton for instance won't even bother about 32bit DLLs.

For me I placed all VST Plugins into C:\Program Data\... and a subdirectory VST2x32, VST2x64, VST3 and set a symbolic link into the positions where the several DAWs and Apps try to find them. This way easily find the directories and don't have problems with write permissions (you don't need Admin Rights for C:\Program Data\...)

7. webhead

webhead Audiosexual

I have to format and install a new windows on my computer in a couple of months. My way is just writing down. I'm using the same OS over 9 years but this time I can't clone it. I have to format, so I'll just note my main plugins and libraries. I don't use much of them. After a while, if I forget any of them, I'll install when I need it.