[GUIDE] Installing ProTools 10 on macOS Sierra (or any OSX > 10.9)

Discussion in 'Pro Tools' started by 5teezo, Jun 24, 2017.

1. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Usually you can't install ProTools 10 on any OSX greater than version 10.9 without editing the SystemVersion.plist File to change the System Version to 10.9. BUT since System Integrity Protection was introduced in El Capitan(?) it got more complicated to copy over the necessary SystemVersion.plist file into the system folder. Plus, there was always the risk of your computer not restarting if you did something wrong.

So this guy made a tutorial to remove the Version Check of the Installer itself so that you actually don't have to mess with your system Files and also can use the installer later on any other OSX. Basically he extracts the Installer, edits out the System Version-Check and repacks it again. It requires Terminal, copy/paste and editing skills. But there's a step by step guide as well as a video tutorial.

Homepage: https://mto.io/pt10sierra

Video Tutorial:

EDIT: On my System (10.12.5), vanilla ProTools 10.3.10 does not start, BUT 10.3.9 starts as expected. You just have to find the right install which works for you I guess. You can download the .dmg Files from AVID.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  3. Soulmattho

Soulmattho Newbie

Remark: Only the legit (iLok) ProTools 10 Version works on Sierra. In my tests the "Openssh iLok free" version won't start.

On El Capitan both versions work, ignoring the graphic glitch.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. DonnieDarkko

DonnieDarkko Newbie

it works! thank you very much

5. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    Wow, great find. Thank you, @5teezo. However, I still haven't found a reason to leave Mavericks behind.

6. MORTIX

MORTIX Kapellmeister

Is the glitch in the plugin menu still present with this method?
    Thanks!

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  7. Ritz

Ritz Newbie

Hi there, it is extremely interesting to see what can be done. I come 2 years after this post to try to install pro tools 11 on high Sierra or Mojave. I'm using it on Sierra today because I could import my apps from a former system. But a clean way to install on mac would be very appreciated and the page linked seems no longer available. Also I have a question. I have a 2018 version of pro tools installed with the PT 10 LE(+ CPTK). How can you manage to have channel strip working on BOTH PT versions? Many thanks.