grouping tracks in live

Discussion in 'Live' started by davpat, Oct 24, 2013.

1. davpat

davpat Newbie

how do i go around this, im going to start grouping some tracks for better organizing in arrangemnet view. but when i group them the group track is cliping going in to the red. the individual tracks arent. so im thinkin thats not importatnt

3. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

inb4 all the Live know it alls come and help you out:

"HEY LOOK AT ME I KNOW HOW TO MIX AND CREATE SUBGROUPS 'N SHIT"

:rofl:

4. SpectricsMusic

SpectricsMusic Newbie

look if they are routed to returntracks and if so select as routing ´sends only´

5. thisis theend

thisis theend Member

Man, I remember back in the 80's when 'live grouping' simply meant getting it on with some hot groupies.
    Music… you've changed :blues:

6. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

^groupies are and will never ever be considered "Hot". It is not an opinion...it is an inarguable fact. Nope...don't...don't try to argue with it now...ah....ah...ah...shhhhhh...

to answer your question davpat the reason why your group channel is clipping is because it is taking the sum of your tracks and adding them as one in the group...so it takes the sum of the signals of the individual tracks. It is important because it will tell you whether your tracks are clipping...and I'm guessing you can't tell that from the master because you have a limiter going...

So basically grouping your tracks means creating a submix so you can get related elements and process them as one...this generally gives a better mix yadi yada...

So a good way to group tracks is for eg. Get all your drum elements and group them into one track...then apply overall processing over that channel...you can do whatever from limiting to compression to some overall EQ...maybe some slight GroupVerb, some effects processing. Then you can get all your bass elements and group them into one and do the same. And then the same for your effects...put them alltogether as one...and same for your Chords...

In the end you should narrow down everything into a few channels eg. Drums, Bass, Chords, FX etc. That is a typical mainstream sellout group structure...

Hope this kinda helped... :wink:

7. thisis theend

thisis theend Member

Duuuuude, I was talkin bout their body temperature, not their looks. Ya know, like they was all hot'n'sweaty from dancin at the gig :break:

8. davpat

davpat Newbie

Ok Hk thanx for that. thats what i thought its the sum of all the levels in the group. so are you saying that it doesnt matter if the group track clips as long as the sub tracks dont in it dont. i think i know almost all ableton inside out know i just wanted to clear some things to work in a more efficiant way.
    im busy seting a template so i dont have to set the groups up every time i start a new project with the difrent colors.

can i put a compresor on the group of the percusions and compresssquash all my percs together so they sound all the same.?? i like to eq the seperatly and put some delay on seperatly. im now using the sends only for the reverb

9. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

I couldnt explain it better HKPotential.

The advantage of grouping this tracks is that you can now adjust their volumes in that way that the sum does not goes into red. I do it that way. Anyway, if you start producing start your tracks with -10 to -12 db. And later you can maximise them at the masterchannel later. I use izotopes ozone or waves ultra- or multimaximizers.

Cheers

10. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

So you got it on with sweaty groupies AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH you badass motherfucker :rofl:

And davpat it is NEVER orite for anything to clip and go in the red...then it means your master will clip... you have a brickwall limiter on your master so you can't tell that it's clipping...red = bad. *yes*

Also I'm pretty suspicious that you are trolling given the way you ask questions but still...

11. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

If you just want to use grouping for organizational purposes just set all the outputs of the tracks in the group to "Master", instead of "Group". Then you are basically using that feature like a folder instead of as a Bus track. I also didn't really get the idea of groups at first and thought of them purely as an organizing thing to get a huge group of related tracks out of sight. But in a way you got lucky since it showed you that your tracks were actually most likely clipping and it was just the limiter on the master keeping you from seeing that. Theoretically the summed level at the Group bus should be the same as it would be at the Master bus... and yeah it sounds like you need to leave yourself a LOT more head room. Some people even say -18db to -8db is an ideal level.