Group of people singing

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Triple, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Triple

Triple Member

Hi!
    I'm thinking of having a group of people singing in a fragment of my pop song.
    How many vocalists should sing the same vocal line so that the vocal feels as sung by a group of people?

I mean something like a group singing in this track at 2:42 :

Can you guess how many people might have sung in this Madeon track?

Do you have some tips on producing vocals sung by a group of vocalists?

Thank you!

3. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

@Triple
    Ive done something similar with adlibs in a track before. There were 4 of us in my home studio at the time. We each did a take, then I panned them a little and ran them through quikquak crowd chamber. You can turn the verb down/off in the plugin

Tip? Not everyone should be upfront. Choose the the most intelligible ones for the "leads" and roll just a little highs of the others to set em back a little bit

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  4. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Four.
    Double-track all singing (1-2 meters, omndirectional) three times. Pan LCR.

If you want more like Madeon you can just vocode with all the voices.

5. solo83

solo83 Platinum Record

I usually cut a lot of midrange out of background vocals and boost the high end (sometimes drastically) to give them that light floating effect around the lead. Also with background vocals you have to make them sit further back in the imagery stage in relation to the lead vocals. To get that distant sound I usually dial up the ER (early reflections) on my reverb as needed.