Griz Can't hold me down (bam bam sound)

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by anthony doyle, Apr 1, 2019.

1. anthony doyle

anthony doyle Kapellmeister

I'm wondering how to recreate this sound at 53 seconds. Its a kind of a bam bam sound. A little bit like black sabbath War Pigs. So, I use a kick drum with a crash, do I need a sub bass as well ? Am I just cutting the volume of the crash to silence it instantly ? Would it specifically be a rock drum set kick drum ? Is there anything else I need that I'm not hearing (compression, eq etc)?

The original iconic sound:
    War Pigs Similar sound at 52 seconds, power chords from guitars added, with cymbal sound

3. anthony doyle

no responses , closing thread

4. notsoloud

notsoloud Guest

It's just a kick with a clenched cymbal. You could emulate the shortness of the cymbal with a gate. Anything else that's giving it character is the transients of the guitar and bass.

5. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Although, depending on which drum plugin is being used, many now have the potential for cymbal mutes.
    No gate needed.

6. notsoloud

notsoloud Guest

I was referring to the the original drumming technique of clenching a cymbal...that it's the same as gating. Gating has the advantage of locking in the timing of the hit. A sample may not stop ringing when you want it to. Of course you can just cut the sample. That might be a better option. I'll ask John Bonham and Keith Moon during my nightly seance.

7. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

A simple cymbal mute (grabbing the cymbal after hitting it)? Not sure what sound you are referring to exactly.
    You could emulate cymbal mute/clench with a fast lowpass filter cutfoff (sweep) automation.
    /drummer since age 4

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  8. notsoloud

notsoloud Guest

Best Answer
    But the real secret of getting it tight is muting the cymbal to the same length of the bass and guitar mutes. Everyone has to stop at the same time. That's why the Black Sabbath version and every other band makes this technique work. If all players aren't locked in to the start of the beat, but also the end point it will sound sloppy....meaning that cymbal mute can't still be ringing after the end point.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. anthony doyle

Hi , thanks for all the responses , I thought there might be a low sub bass frequency aswell as the kick drum to make it sound heavier. From the responses, it seems like people are saying its just the kick drum and cymbal clenched/muted. I also wasn't sure if there was a specific technique used to cut off the cymbal sound, whether it was automation or cut sample. It seems like there is the cymbal clenching option and the automation option and both could be used, so great.

Thanks again

10. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

I know. The technique is called 'cymbal mute', when you grab the cymbal. I have 2 instruments that provide this, and have different velocity samples for it. Similar to how an open hat gets cut by a closed hat, type of thing.
    Incidentally, the Black Sabbath example isn't actually very well muted! It rings on...

Gating doesn't sound as authentic as actual cymbal mute samples, which dull the tone exactly as happens when you grab the cymbal.