Gritty violin sound

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by aCouch, Sep 24, 2018.

1. aCouch

aCouch Noisemaker

Is there anyway I can make a solo string library sound more grittier. Check out the main theme for the original movie version of Fargo. I really like that sound on violin. Is there any way to make that kind of more gritty effect with some processing?

The sound of really digging into that string, that's what I'm thinking about.

Cheers, aCouch

3. aCouch

aCouch Noisemaker

Actually I think they are playing in such away that there are some extra harmonies in the notes??

4. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

Love this, I did a search and found Tartini tones, when one two string players tune to the same note but one plays a natural harmonic. So much inspire me :yes:

5. lucymilan01

lucymilan01 Member

I do hear some additional notes, sounds like a harp.

6. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

Gotta love necro threads.

It's not the pressure, exactly.

It's a fiddle not a violin, you can make that sound with both tough. The orchestral group is violins, violas, and cellos. You can hear the more dissonant fiddle when it's mixed in near the end of the piece, it sticks out, it is panned right.

More importantly you have on and off double stops and there are layer. KungPaoFist is correct that some of the notes a doubled as in scordatura tuning (GDGD or AEAE) but some you will find are I and V double stops. Both fiddles and violins open strings are a perfect fifth apart in classical or scordatura tuning, meaning a I-V double stop or legato roll-in / roll-out just necessitates a bar between two adjacent strings. The violin/fiddle bridge prevents triads, but there are archaic fiddles with more than 4 strings that incorporate drone strings.

Playing near the bridge, sul ponticello also increases the roughness of the sound and the harmonics the violin/fiddle will produce.

7. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Physical modeling is more flexible than a sample library and allows to play even in unusual way or enriched with harmonics.

8. Dr. Black

Dr. Black Producer

9. LMNOP

LMNOP Newbie

They're the same instrument.

10. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Indiginus' The Fiddle sounds close right out of the box.

11. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

We can have that particular argument some other time (maybe) and it will be about as useful as Mac Vs PC and digital Vs Analogue threads. For the most part and in most cases they can be the same instrument with different options or not for bridge curve, nut height and sound post placement, but that isn't a fixed formula.

Either way the differences or lack thereof matter very little here and are not salient to discussion here.

12. lucymilan01

lucymilan01 Member

Yes, I totally agree with you, modeling offers more flexibility and customization than sample library.