Green Screen and Dongle Drops

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by reziduchamp, Apr 10, 2018.

1. reziduchamp

reziduchamp Platinum Record

I've abandoned Cubase for now. Just wiping my 10 USB boot stick, gonna do a format, clean Win 7 install and see if I get the old issues back. I'm not even installing Cubase or the dongle. If the system and Ableton are stable I'll get rid of Cubase. Its too square for me production-wise and stops me being creative, so it makes sense. Just hope Ableton 10 runs smoothly on 7 and if not I'll put 10 back in. I think I'll stick to Ableton now that I've been bothered learning it. Real headache to understand coming from Cubase and Logic for so long.

2. reziduchamp

I did try that previously. Since removing the dongle I haven't noticed any issues so far, but I have only done a few hours in Ableton so its no gauge of whether the issues are gone. Haven't had any screen drops yet though. Think I'll have this nervous edge for the rest of my days, even if I ever get a stable system and DAW :D

3. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

This is very interesting. So it seems like either the e-licenser or the e-licenser USB stick is the problem afterall. First time I've heard of problems with e-licenser. Thanks for bringing this thread up, reziduchamp! :wink:

Shame you can't test it with Cubase and no e-licenser, though.

4. reziduchamp

I honestly can't say that for sure. I don't know what has been causing issues for so long, but its my suspicion. Could be faulty hardware, I just don't know. The green screen was a new thing whilst copying between Cubase and Ableton, but it has never been a stable system. Its USB related, 100% certain, its just a question of whether that's the motherboard's USB or the dongle causing some talkback issues. My money is on that, but I just don't know. When I got the motherboard I had mouse lag as well, but Asus created a fix for that only recently. Seems to only relate to Logitech and both of my main mice are Logitech. After that I've had all USB issues. Everything that fails is on the USB bus, but I don't know if the eLicenser is capable of maybe sending call messages that choke the CPU or USB bus temporarily, which would explain everything else failing from time to time. Its always USB devices that fail and ASUS swear there are no issues with their devices and the shop that sold me the configuration says there's never been any issues with the same setup for other people, which also indicates the Dongle as the culprit... but who knows...

5. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

It's always a good choice to use the DAW you like the most. A comfort zone when writing or recording is important.
    These days comparing full featured DAW's is like the chicken and the egg analogy. They all do something really well and have similar principles and features.
    While having multiple options is nice, I am not convinced that having ten different DAW's on the same computer is a good thing, regardless of the options that presents.
    Steinberg is pretty good in support to aid with issues. With Cubase I tend to go to the source because they made it and I figure if they do not know, then nobody does other than speculation. We all want to help each other, but sometimes, even with the best of intent, it can unnecessarily complicate things.

6. Infidel

Infidel Producer

That is what I was thinking of but had cranial gastritis.