Green Screen and Dongle Drops

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by reziduchamp, Apr 10, 2018.

1. reziduchamp

reziduchamp Producer

Does anybody every get a green screen on their Cubase? Seems to happen whilst having Ableton open at the same time.

I get a screen flash where its like the whole screen blanks out from top to bottom, like the computer just broke or something. Then the menu in Cubase is sometimes blanked out and I can't hit save etc. Have to close it by Ctrl Alt Del.

I get the soundcard dropping off pretty often and the Soundcard box pops up for a split second. Sometimes Ableton loses its soundcard connection when it happens. Every session this happens. Sometimes plugins are whited out as well. It happens not just with Waves (looks similar to the 30 plugins error that was supposedly fixed) but other plugins as well by other manufacturers.

It also seems to crash Ableton once its happened.

Anyone know what is causing this?

Attached Files:

3. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

No I don't know what's causing it, but if I found out both open at the same time caused all that to happen, I would make sure that I never had them open at the same time in future!

4. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

But he may need them both i.e rewire.
    It could be simple as graphic drivers or maybe even worse the whole motherboard is coming to an end

5. reziduchamp

reziduchamp Producer

Some of the symptoms happen with just Cubase open. Losing soundcard connection etc. I'm just converting my tracks to Ableton and I think I've finished today so I'm probably ditching Cubase now. They aren't rewired - both are accessing the soundcard together, so that might be an issue and could even be the cause, but it doesn't explain the soundcard dropping out, which happens with just Cubase attached. Its either the USB on the motherboard or the eLicenser Dongle. Other USB issues have resolved recently with the BIOS update. I'll be trying Ableton without the dongle attached in the coming days and hope this is the end of my issues. Its been non-stop since upgrading my PC and using Cubase 8.5.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. reziduchamp

reziduchamp Producer

Wouldn't be surprised if its the motherboard. Had these conversations about its USB since I bought it last year. Its never worked properly and cost over £2000 for the full setup, but I can't rule out the eLicenser as the cause yet. I'll find out when I'm using Ableton and unplugged the eLicenser if these dropouts stop. Just one more track to convert and then its gone if that's the cause.

Graphics Card could be a cause. I've tried swapping though and don't use a fanned card. I have AMD and NVidia and neither has ever fixed the old issues. These new issues are a nightmare.

Computer is a 6800k btw and an ASUS motherboard. Supposed to be rock solid.

7. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

you've probably already tried this, but try using different USB plug on computer, or change the usb cable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. reziduchamp

reziduchamp Producer

Yep already tried it but thanks for the suggestion. Tried allsorts. Turned off USB 3/3.1 in the BIOS, changed all the other USB related BIOS settings as well. Changed the Audient's USB cable as well just this week and no difference.

9. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

10. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

Are you using a WI-FI net connection? Do you see any DPC spikes coincidental to the card dropout. You don't mention which soundcard/interface your're using - have you the latest (or most recognisably stable) ASIO driver for it?

11. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

P.S. You mentioned the card while i was typing... i had a similar problem on one of my machines which used a scarlett 214. The problem went away ONLY if i used a USB 2 port...

12. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

Possible. ASIO is a single client driver. If both DAWs are using the soundcard, you're running ASIO in a wrapper, "multiclient ASIO" -- basically an ASIO server, afaik; all apps are talking to the server, not the driver itself. This adds overhead/latency & (possibly) what you describe.
    TL;DR: Try a different ASIO driver (preferably true ASIO); there are many (free, generic) multiclient ASIO drivers out there if you need to run more than one app at once, also stuff like https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/ (which I never tried).

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. reziduchamp

reziduchamp Producer

Yep. Did this a few times with just Cubase running, but that wasn't related to these green screens. Geeks at the shop never spotted anything in the LatencyMon and another App, I forget which. Computer says its running fine. I think this is an extension of the same issues though with the green screens. I think its either USB or the Dongle.

14. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

15. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

... because in my experience many USB3 drivers aren't as reliably backwards compatible/friendly as they would have users believe!

16. reziduchamp

reziduchamp Producer

Sorry, I have an Audient ID14. No Internet connection running, totally offline. Shouldn't have any such interferences. I have the latest drivers, I checked today and they've been out for ages, so I'm guessing they're pretty solid. I haven't had Task Manager running whilst it spikes. Its too rare to keep that running, but it happens maybe 2-5 times per session and I often have to reboot both programs, opening Abeton first so that it doesn't ReWire.

I've always had Cubase doing those ASIO spikes into the red since I bought it. It can be standing still with hardly anything loaded (I have 6 cores and they should be able to handle anything I can throw at it) and I get spikes into the red. I also get a burst of sound when it happens like a loud click, but that was before these green screens.

17. reziduchamp

reziduchamp Producer

Yeah good call. I've swapped USB 2, 3, 3.1 etc. Doesn't make any difference. I also had a Novation Launchkey 49 plugged in that often just disconnects itself and its random whether it gets launched on booting Cubase, so I ditched that and went back to my old EMu and that's a lot more stable. Don't get the random keyboard issues. Could just be a coincidence that I bought a lot of crap equipment at the same time. Its always USB related in some way.

18. reziduchamp

reziduchamp Producer

Ah good call. I'll have to try that then. That could be what's causing the green screens and the computer to collapse effectively if two programs are both trying to access the soundcard at once. Always seems to collapse at random times though, so it can be at a standstill or running either of the DAWs and it just pops up randomly. Can even be accessing a synth when I'm copying settings from Cubase, into a save file and then opening in Ableton, so if its ASIO related that's a bit weird if nothing is going through the soundcard at the time.

The most logical place to look for this, in my opinion, is something related to anti-piracy in the eLicenser. As I understand it its always calling home, so if there are bugs in Cubase its going to collapse at random times. This is kind of what it feels like, because its so random and unpredictable that its hard to put it down to say the Audient hardware, or the mouse calling home for example. As the other comments have suggested, all good calls, things like WiFi might interfere at random times, but there's nothing really that could do that, unless its related to the mouse wireless dongle, but I thought that is Bluetooth? Regardless, its hard to think that such a small device could cause so much damage. Its just a mouse location, not something that causes Cubase ASIO to spike from 10% to 100%.

19. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

Er, you're not using a USB hub on your PC are you? Cos any number of cheap (or indeed not-so-cheap) hubs would exhibit all of the above symptoms.

20. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

Just read your above comment - seriously, try connecting a regular mouse to your PC, instead of the wireless one, as soon as you can!

21. reziduchamp

reziduchamp Producer

Yeah thanks, this isn't the issue. I've disabled USB3 deliberately and forgot to re-enable it since and can't be bothered to be honest, I don't use it and don't need it. USB3 has been suggested by the computer shop as a possible cause, but that's obviously not it if its disabled. The only thing that ties everything together is either the USB buss in my computer is crap, or the eLicenser is crap.

Audient is using USB 2.0 and it should be fine. If it was a spike because I'm using too much power that would make sense, but these spikes can happen at a standstill. The Cubase ASIO spikes can be when its doing nothing, so its not like the soundcard is asking for power. I've even had a green screen freeze thing happen on just booting both programs. Its just random. Everything about this PC has been random since I got it. It was built to run Cubase only, so its not like its a gaming PC as well or online.

It could be related to having two programs open at the same time using a lot of CPU. Ableton handles it fine. When its not playing it settles at between 1% and 3% or something. Could be part of the green screen issue I guess.