Great plugin for Pianos/Orchestral

Discussion in 'Software' started by budzmaster, Nov 17, 2011.

1. budzmaster

budzmaster Newbie

Hey guys,

I am wondering if anyone knows of a plugin or samplepack for kontakt that has a few really nice samples for Pianos/orchestral instruments.

The reason I ask this is because I know there are plenty of sample packs for Kontakt that are either strictly pianos and are like 2-10gb and other orchestral packs that are even larger.

What I am looking for is one really nice sounding piano/horns/strings/ensemble etc... all in one pack or plugin.

I like to keep my HD relatively unfilled with endless samples and plugins that dont sound good or that I would never use.

I used to use the miroslav philharmonic plugin that was actually really nice... but I was wondering if there was anything better.

Thanks again fellas!

btw... I make electrohouse/dubstep/prog house/and ambient chill shit :)

3. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

VSL Horizon Opus 1 & 2 for kontakt.
    Piano: i guess the alicia keys will do the job.

4. budzmaster

budzmaster Newbie

Dude Alicia Keys is 7gb.

Miroslav Philharmonic is like 3 something. And thats not just pianos ;)

5. ArticStorm

i just tried alicia keys again and i have to say - yh its worth the 7GB.
    Miroslav Philharmonic is crack - i had to delete 'cos the vst isnt workign with ableton live.
    but u can try to convert it to kontakt.
    vsl is around 20GB both version together. when u use the ncw converting.

6. duskwings

duskwings Platinum Record

quality wieght a lot and takes a lot of space,the pianos included in komplete are awesome,if edit them to get rid of some unnatural overtones,concerning strings i think LASS are among the best,also in terms odf editing options,but don t expect to get great sounds with a small library,if what u look for is realism.
    just a question,do u keep your data nad samples all together in the same drive?

7. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Newbie

If you are space restricted it will be hard to find an all-in-one that is small.With that said......a good small piano program would be truepianos.....for orchestral,that will be tough to find small.You could DL Kontakt 3 or 4 factory library and just keep what you need out of it.They use VSL orchestra samples and have pianos as well.

8. biohazardzero

biohazardzero Newbie

well to be honest ik multimedia is great and small sometimes sounds a bit better than some kontakt libraries. pianoes on the other hand is hard, the bigger libraries sound better.

9. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

Yeah, I'll get on board with that one and say that Sampletank is far far better then it's size would have you believe... if you're looking for a relatively small all in one deal, it's not a bad one to check into.

10. ArticStorm

its not the size - its not working with new daws - thats the problem guys.
    for example ableton will not save the presets/ changes u made inside a preset.

11. biohazardzero

biohazardzero Newbie

im using it in logic pro 9 with snow leopard no issues.

12. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

As long as I run Live as admin I never have any problems with it, but honestly it's been awhile since I tried to get too in depth with it. I abandoned it for other ones, like Omnisphere and Kontakt and Alchemy, for awhile, and then came back to it and was like, ya know, this really is pretty darn good.

13. budzmaster

budzmaster Newbie

Great responses guys, thank you many times!

When you say sampletank, do you mean actually SampleTank 2... or were you referring to Miroslav Philharmonic?

Same company, thats why I am trying to just clarify :)

14. budzmaster

budzmaster Newbie

Oh and also...

I would be down to download a huge library, like for kontakt... but only if it included a bunch of different instruments that sounded awesome... especially in the type of music i like to make.

15. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

Sampletank 2, sorry. Of course you could play all the different products from within Sampletank2, like Miroslav, SampleMoog, SampleTron, and SonicSynth. Seems like everything IK puts out is pretty good really...

16. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

Garritan Personal Orchestra <------- Small and useful :wink:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Oct04/articles/garritan.htm <--- vers 1

They released v1 then 2 then 4, dunno what happened to 3

Read 1st criticize later *yes*

17. Bump

Bump Kapellmeister

Philharmonik is the end all be all for strings/orchestral

Piano - Truepianos and Pianoteq

18. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

I usually extract the best instruments out of different libraries because there's hardly one containing only great samples.
    There are two things I do to reduce the sometimes enormous size of sample data:
    First, I often batch-resample down from 24 to 16 bits using dither & noise shaping.
    The recording levels are usually high enough (well, always check!) so you simply won't hear any difference.
    Then, if you're ready to put a little work, reduce the amount of samples by picking the "most relevant", deleting intermediate ones and remapping the remaining samples in order to fill the remaining spaces (Kontakt is great for this task).

Selecting which samples to keep is a very personal decision, and after some work you'll have a compact but great-sounding collection of just the instruments you adore.
    Really much fun to play with.

Note that this is only possible thanks to AiR, Dynamics and Assign who brought us Kontakt versions that allow for such re-mapping even of protected libraries.

19. ArticStorm

+1

20. siugwai

siugwai Newbie

Piano - $$$ = pianoteq +1 (its awesome with a little bit tweaking, from bright rock , soft pop to mellow jazz tone) and its only 60 Mb!!!
    no$$$ = Alicia's key, best library for piano in that price

String - definately go for LASS ( LA SCORING STRING) no$$$ go for its lite version, really no $$$ you may try NI session string( >2GB!!!!ONLY!!) , its not the best but good yet affordable with good articulations and expression ! (LA STRING YOU CAN CHOOSE TO INSTALL 16 BIT ONLY, JUST SIMPLY DELETE THE 24 BIT DATA, AND ITS SMALL >20GB I GUESS)

Orchestral - PROJECT SAM SYMPHOBIA (~30Gb) , its really cool for film score Have everything in the Orchestra, if no $$ just go for Project Sam Orchestral Brass (>10Gb) , plus LA String its good enough to do most of the thing

Brass & Woodwind extra-- Highly recommend Chris Hein Horns V2 and V4 (~10Gb) , including brass solo and section as well as some woodwinds, best for big band /swing/ Jazz

21. barka2011

barka2011 Guest

My favorite is Best Service - Galaxy II K4 series.