Graphics cards DO matter for music production... A LOT.

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Torrao, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Torrao

Torrao Platinum Record

The "Drivers" tab shows the data in ms.

2. Blorg

Blorg Producer

Right, the drivers tab shows that the *longest time* the graphic driver has grabbed from one of the cores is
    [​IMG]
    That's .2ms. My ASIO buffer's set to 6ms, so 1/30th the length of my buffer. Meaning that if that worst-case scenario was happening 100% of the time, the vid driver would monopolize one of my cores, leaving the other cores to do their stuff.
    But worst case scenarios don't happen 100% of the time -- the grand total % of the time spent in ISRs is .18%.
    See?

3. Torrao

Torrao Platinum Record

That's not the point. The point is not just latency, but the interruptions caused by the crappy interaction between Nvidia, DXkernel and hal.dll drivers. If you can't use the lowest buffer for tracking because the audio crackles BUT you can if you disable the video card... You know the rest.

A 0.18ms latency for the Nvidia driver is fine. Mine definetely wasn't like that. If you don't have the issues described in this thread (as some other people posting screenshots so have), then congrats! :)

4. ddiggles

ddiggles Member

Unfortunately with the current state of crypto mining, it makes it cost prohibitive to switch to anything remotely modern / capable from AMD. :(

5. kokorico

kokorico Platinum Record

The problem : I have to edit some videos. But he onboard GPU is maybe enough strong.:dunno:
    I'm going to sell my Nvidia graphics card and buy an AMD card.

6. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Yes, it's not just the highest execution that counts, it's the DPC count that counts. See how USB has high DPC count numbers, too? But if you're using a USB audio interface, that's good. I'm trying to avoid USB with anything like a plague, but it's very hard. Anyway, none of this is as bad as any of the network drivers, but especially wireless and bluetooth. Always disable these if you want clean audio without crackles.

Speaking of Nvidia, sometimes disabling its throttling features, just like CPU, can help with performance. I have disabled both SpeedStep and Nvidia Powermizer on my laptop and it helped a lot. Of course, when I'm running on battery, this all gets enabled, but I'm never doing music on battery.

http://www.overclock.net/t/683583/how-to-adjust-nvidias-powermizer

7. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

@Blorg, you should have circled the "Reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Speed Step and Cool n Quiet in the BIOS for more accurate results." :wink:

You should disable Speed Step and Cool n Quiet anyway if you want to run more demanding VST synths like u-he ones.

8. Blorg

Blorg Producer

What does that even mean? The app gives me 2 numbers
    Reported CPU speed: 340MHz
    Measured CPU speed: 1MHz
    Both are off by several orders of magnitude = junk. I mean, this isn't rocket science. An app that can't read my CPU make & current/max clock (windows shell command: wmic cpu get name,CurrentClockSpeed,MaxClockSpeed) is not to be taken too seriously :dont:.
    What you need is a no-nonsense serial port mouse & a quality Compaq AT keyboard.
    And that wasteful monitor -- into the trash it goes! The graphics subsystem is a resource hog second to none! Offload all that pointless processing on a nice VT100 or, better yet, a rusty teletype, and recoup yourself a fraction of that 0.18% CPU time you're currently wasting:guru:

9. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I don't understand it, either, why some apps can't just read from the registry what CPU is in the PC and adjust the frequencies accordingly, but I guess they want to do it the hard way, for some reason? ;) However, when you disable all the throttling, the result should be accurate.

A nice VT100? Anytime! :rofl:

10. Torrao

Torrao Platinum Record

I feel your pain. It took me a while to find one at a sane price. I wanted to try a recent AMD card, didn't care much about the model. I ended up with a MSI RX470 for 150€. The guy sent me the original invoice which was around 220€ new, so he wasn't taking profit at all contrary to all these f*cking miners.

11. ddiggles

ddiggles Member

Dang, did you score it locally? Online? Curious where the best places would be to look.

12. Torrao

Torrao Platinum Record

Yup, locally. He was a very nice guy also!

13. spacetime

spacetime Platinum Record

great for bringing attention to this detail

i was about to buy a new 1030 card but this is obviously a no no based on the info in this thread

14. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Hmmm, 1030 is not a high-end card and it's low-power and quiet. I actually recommend it. But you have to install only the basic driver for it and disable/uninstall any crap that the driver installs with it. I wouldn't go with the latest driver, either. Maybe just use the latest one from the VGA manufacturer's website. They don't put it there for nothing.

15. joem

joem Producer

sli gtx 1080 tis over here no issues

16. T2000

T2000 Ultrasonic

"hal.dll "

Arghhh!

Had a world of pain with that on an HP G3 450 laptop. Real mistake it seems

17. spacetime

personally i have a low power rig

hence the interest in that 1030 card for dual 4k output

However after reading all of this here, i assume its a power drawing issue with the cards using very little power when performing less demanding tasks, then surge fast to high power, creating flactuations in the power supply to the rest of the system, hence crackling

Maybe with a huge power supply one does not have any issues but i rather stay with HD then risk damaging a perfectly working setup

18. Torrao

Torrao Platinum Record

Nope. Playing a song when performing the tests is enough to see plenty of interrupts caused by the involved drivers. I see plenty of reluctance to accept that Nvidia drivers are worse than AMD for audio, but that's the truth. If you don't plan on gaming I wouldn't insist on having a Nvidia card.

But if you do... Well, life is all about compromises so choose your poison!

19. spacetime

well, the specific drivers are likely to handle the power management, sincerely doubt its black magic behind all of this

I would buy a comparable AMD card, but there are none that i know of which would fit a dell SFF pc, pretty small box

20. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

sprry for the little OT... I have an Acer Aspire V3-571G with a GeForce 710M and Intel integrate VGA (or GPU? dunno). I'd like to try disabling my nVidia card and use for some times only Intel. if I disable drivers of nVidia card under "Device Manager", would it be a nice solution to try?
    thanks