Graphics cards DO matter for music production... A LOT.

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Torrao, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

Hi, I tested some of it and could maybe notice some minor slow downs...but not very noticable. Now I have received a new Graphic card: MSI GTX 1070 Ti Gaming 8GB so my testing with internal card is over for now.....but I was surprised how well that internal card (Intel HD Graphics 530) handled regular use on my pc. Of course gaming was out of the question...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I agree with what you said about the Intel onboard [oncpu? ;)] GPU @taskforce, but it really seems to work very well for audio workstation use despite hogging the CPU a bit. In my experience, DPC latency is the lowest on such systems. Systems with Nvidia cards work well also, but DPC latency is always about 2-3x bigger, so it can cause problems with working at very low latencies. I personally have one of such systems with an older Nvidia Quadro. It is a great system, but Nvidia's driver, even older ones, greatly contribute to DPC latency being a bit high. Anyway, I usually don't work at really low latencies like 128 samples or lower, so everything works just fine, but for people who need to go lower than that it might make a difference. :wink:

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. GT33

GT33 Kapellmeister

i just order LP 1050ti im gonna use multiple screens, i have no idea if this video was posted before, guy talks about how nebula and convolution reverbs use cuda cores

• List
  4. poly

poly Platinum Record

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  5. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Now that i remembered, have you tried their newer "studio driver" or you still use the older one mate? I dunno if it's supported by your model but wth, it's still a Quadro, it should benefit from a more advanced driver even if it's only for video accel. After all as we 've seen many times in the past the only thing separating Geforce cards from Quadro is more ram and the driver. Architecture is almost identical. Give it a shot maybe ?
    Although they haven't updated their CUDA bridge code for sometime now, back in April this year, Giancarlo from Acustica responding to a question in their forum, said that they have invested in "a lot of computers equipped with high end nvidia cards" and that they will be possibly releasing a new version of their bridge. So this leaves a good hint that they will be reneweing their technology. Meanwhile SLI/NV Link as of recently is only supported in the top tier of Nvidia cards, rendering the usage of multiple cards suitable only for compute acceleration like video, 3d, AI machine learning and of course any other app that supports CUDA like Acustica's Nebula.
    Cheers mates :)

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. KidPix

KidPix Producer

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  7. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Errr,nope, it doesn't. If it did we 'd be using i7s for AI machine learning and render farms not huge stacks of Geforce cards. It is only better suited when it comes to audio processing and plugins due to a series of instruction sets that are not supported by gpus. Each to their own. But still, even for audio, if you are familiar with Nebula you can use your GeForce to add some horse power to what you already have. It is a co-processor after all. More dsp didn't hurt anyone.
    You are describing a gaming machine ? Unless you are a 3D artist and i missed that somehow... There's no justification for a 1200eu GPU to be matched with a ~400eu cpu in an audio workstation. It's just a waste of money. It should be exactly the other way around and with an HEDT i9 on some x299 board, that is if you are still an Intel fanboy. The i7 is dead atm, 5 months now and counting and i7 is the only "old hat" here. When it's resurrected with more cores and HT we talk again :). For the moment, 12 & 16core Ryzen 9s are what the doctor ordered and for the big spenders it's Threadripper3 with 24 and 32cores.
    Cheers

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  9. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

Ai ? Machine learning?
    I was responding to a specific comment .
    About nebula and conv reverb.
    And the title of the thread graphics cards for audio.
    Yes when it comes to non audio I sure do use my rtx card for many other things .
    I said I disagree that a 1050 to was worth it for nebula and cuda audio vst processing.
    That a modern cpu already does more

I agree with you that for other things not related to plugin audio dsp graphics cards can be used for many things.
    Your joking right?
    Amd? lolololol
    ( Unless you mean workstation )

Yes I use my rtx for different things not just entertainment .
    ( Ex I'm working with unreal engine with vr development for music education (
    It's going slow but I'm not in a rush .
    Just time consuming.

But yeah the amd will work fine for music production .
    ( Thead title (
    I don't trust and after that 20 years of trash though
    ( Decent in the early 2000's

10. [​IMG]

• Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

For real ? Perhaps take a look at some numbers with a reminder, core for core comparison on Intel 9th gen vs AMD Ryzen 3rd gen gives a tie with a slight edge to Intel's core due to higher boost clocks.
    CPU exploits: Intel= ~200, AMD= ~16.
    Top mainstream cpu: Intel i9 9900K 8core/PCIe gen3 - AMD 3950X 16core/PCIe gen4.
    Top HEDT cpu: Intel 10980XE 18core/24.75mb cache/48 PCIe gen3 lanes - AMD TR3 3970X 32core/144mb cache/64 PCIe gen4 lanes.
    Not sure where you get your facts about those 20 years of trash from AMD. I will not discuss how Intel rose to a virtual desktop cpu monopoly, it belongs to another thread but i will just say it wasn't because of their superior performance. The info's all out there. What's important is Intel's been beaten fair and square. As a friend to a friend, do yourself a favor and check out the Ryzen 9 3900X or even better the 3950X whenever you can:) I have a client who's paid 880eu on pre-order for it, his cpu will arrive by the end of the year or first week of 2020. Soon as i build his machine, i will post my findings with it on various daws and plugs.
    But i 'm off topic and excuse me i just thought i'd set the record a bit more straight.
    So, why bash CUDAwith Nebula, have you tried using your RTX with it? All i was able to get my hands from top tier GPUs lately, was 1080ti and 2070 and the latter is just worse than yours. You have a top tier GPU it would be a shame not to try even if it's with Nebula 3.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

No, I don't disagree with you in that context your refferring to, my comment was to another person In regard to their comment in a different context .
    They mentioned a 1050ti for cuda nebula situation .
    Yes, I messed around a little with the rtx with nebula and other cuda audio dsp , it just a waste of time messing around with it. My system with the i7 overclocked handles as many vst as I want so it's just not the kind of workflow worth it.
    Also I don't focus as much on mixing engineer and mastering any more except for work.
    I focus on realtime composing.
    It's just too easy writing style of little bits at a time being able to back tweak things making music that way feels pointless to me. I mean you can make anything that way .
    But it's so much harder to write and perform 5 mins of music in 5 mins of time .
    It makes you grow 1000 more also .
    Certain things I perfected overtime .
    I try concentrate on areas musically where there the most room for growth.

I focus more on composing while playing in the moment kind of like this .

13. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

1080Ti STRIX is the best card for DAW right now - it literally doesn't heat up at all, fans don't spin even when doing minor video intensive tasks, on the other hand the cooler is huge, takes 3 PCI slots height in case

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  14. playtime

playtime Rock Star

It's a great card, very powerful and maybe an overkill for DAW but you never know :)
    I was planning to upgrade to this one, but went for Sapphire Radeon 8GB RX 590 NITRO+ and am extremely satisfied. It's pushing my 2 Dell 27" 2K screens + 32" HD TV without breaking a sweat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  15. KidPix

KidPix Producer

???????????
    The link I posted is a tweak to diminish the GPU latency, without this tweak the GPU driver may create audio glitches because
    of the higher latency...
    https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...ent-mode-from-adaptive-to-maximum-performance

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

You are trying to re-create the pre-tape era mate? When recording was a one-off straight to vinyl cut and only big names got a chance for a second pass hehe... To be fair that was the time when only really skilled musicians would stand a chance in making a good record. Comps have made us musicians kinda lazy, i try to follow the same as you whenever i can but not too often i admit. I do play a lot though, guitar and piano/keys, jam with my wife too :D.
    I know how much you dislike liquid coolers hehe, but hey, it's the only way to make these monster cards take up only one or two slots max for the cheaper liquid solutions.
    Cheers

17. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

Yes my friend.
    Although I use the modern way a lot too.
    I try challenge myself and work on music things that seem impossible at first , but then after a while it gets easier and you grow a ton .

Here's a great classic .
    It's powerful stuff for almost 100 years old.

18. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I don't know man... can it handle 4 instances of Pro-Q2 in high-res mode?
    :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  19. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

6 ultracrazy instances of Q3 is most it handles without fans starting to spin or causing dropouts at 128 buffer with total PDC of 110592 :unsure:

[​IMG]

(image is scaled down to prevent AZ from freezing) :rofl:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  20. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Holy Mother of Slate Jesus!
    It was a joke but now I get your "creative" rating. So cool! :wink:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1