Grafic card passive cooling?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by phloopy, Apr 10, 2017.

1. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Hi

I need a new grafic card - no doubt - Im having loads of issiues with the one I´ve installed on my audio PC - it´s TOO OLD and a lot of plugs will not "dance with it"!!

What I need to know is this:

What would you guys suggest - we´re talking about a grafic card that can run two monitors, passive cooling and cheap as hell!

Thanks in advance

Win7 64bit here!

Cheers

3. ddoctor

ddoctor Kapellmeister

This one seems to be the only one that suits your (and my!) needs;
    GeForce GT710 Gigabyte 1GB DDR3
    Asus probably has his version but no difference.

4. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Passive cooling GPUs are pretty much non-existent now as they are no longer needed. Newer GPUs have a built in custom fan curve or allow you to input your own. This means that most have the fans totally off (i.e. passive) unless the GPU gets to a certain load before they come on. Here's a short and quick explanation of fan curves.

If you do insist on a passive one though, I think this is the most recent model available.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  5. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Thanks ddoctor, but I´ve been several places and they all looks like this:
    http://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N710D3-1GL#ov
    Not really passive IMHO - But I could be wrong.

Thanks Bunford. You´re prolly right. I´m not playing games etc so I guess even a grafic card with a fan can do the job?!?

Cheers

6. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

7. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

the old geforce gtx750 acts as a passive one when not running 3d apps, and is not expensive today (second hand)...

runs fine on win7 x64

8. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Any chance you could point me to a cheap non-passive grafic card you find fancy?

9. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

I disagree. Plus:
    http://eu.palit.com/palit/vgapro.php?id=2823&lang=de

10. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

11. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Disagree with which bit?

This coverage of that Palit suggests they are surprised at card this as they're no longer needed, primarily because they don't work now with newer GPUs as they produce too much heat to be passively cooled. My gut feeling would be that it would be ok for a single monitor, but if you pwoered 2 or 3 monitors off this then it wold increase demand onit, and thus increase the boost, i.e. increasing the heat. Whether it would still run effectively or just crash at that point seems like a bit of an unknown on this card at the moment it seems with not much coverage of the card.

This review gives it a pretty positive review though. Also, note it seems to be power throttled to reduce heat rather than thermally throttled, so you won't really know where that limit is until you hit it. If all your needs are below that power consumption, then you'll be good to go with this, otherwise it may be unstable for your needs. Only you will know that.

12. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Well, low noise is still some noise especially if the rest of your machine is passive or inaudilble. But you're right, I have a cpu fan and case fans that are inaudible. But still, I wouldn't take chances. As the cooler cloggs up over time the fans will spin up more.

13. ddoctor

ddoctor Kapellmeister

14. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro Staff Member

AMD HD7750 or nVidia GTX750 - both are available in passive formats, and could be quite cheap when purchased used.
    As for new offerings, GTX1050ti is also passive, but as it's relatively recent card, it's also expensive.

15. Willum

Willum Rock Star

I actually have one of these, http://www.palit.com/palit/vgapro.php?id=2378&lang=en, a GeForce® GTX 750 Ti KalmX (2048MB GDDR5) in my studio machine.

I've been using it for about 3 years now with 2 monitors, 2560x1440 @60Hz and 1280x1024 @75Hz.

I've also used it to run some games on, warcraft, eve online, fallout, etc and all ran fine @2560x1440 as well.

16. Paul M.

Paul M. Member