GPU overheating in DAW

Discussion in 'PC' started by Ozmosis, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Ozmosis

Ozmosis Producer

Hi,

How you all doing?
    Hopefully someone may be able to help...
    Recently (last couple of months or so) my system has been locking up ie. desktop/system freezing (not BSOD) and the only way out is to do a hard reboot. At first I thought it was a drive with bad sectors and removed all (except OS SSD drive) only to find it was still happening.

However after many weeks of trying to find a cause/solution I discovered that it is my GPU (which is a Quadro K4200) that's overheating to 85 degrees+. Strangely it only happens when an actual project is loaded in Studio One; it can take 12hrs or 12 minutes to occur. I thought perhaps it was an issue with S1 v3, yet no one on the Presonus forums was reporting the same issue. Anyway by lowering the GPU settings from performance mode to optimal, it appeared as though the temperature was better. Historically it had always been okay in the past on performance mode, so was still a little confused.

Anyway I recently bought a pair of Pioneer DJM800 and installed Rekordbox to manage mp3s...
    What I've found is that it does the same thing with Rekordbox, only with this application the temp ramps up almost immediately once opened and the system hangs, yet i hadn't change the GPU settings from optimal so I'm stumped!! I've had the card for just over a year and as i said before it never used to have this issue. The GPU fan is working and I checked it for fluff/obstructions etc.

A temporary solution has been to use the NZXT Hue+ application (that control's my LED's) as it has some system customisation options for GPU fan speed based on temperature, which is helping but i'd like to fix the root cause of the problem rather simply band-aid.

I'm wondering if it's the Nvidia drivers screwing things up, I cant see some of the control options that one would usually expect to control the GPU fans. I can't think what else it could be so I'm probably going to reinstall the drivers for the GFX card later this evening, when I have some time on my hands. Firstly to test with the Windows legacy drivers for Nvidia.. and then with latest Nvidia drivers. We've probably all had issues rolling back to older drivers in the past so thought to ask around here first!!

I should probably mention that the OS is Win7 and Nvidia driver version is 22.21.13.8541 (8/21/17)

Anyone else had the same issue and found a solution, or has any idea's for what I could try?
    Sorry it's a long winded post, I'm trying to explain the situation as best I can...

Cheers

[EDIT] Seems that the NZXT Hue+ software could be what's causing the issues!! grr

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  3. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

just sell the gfx card and buy something designed for non-demanding home use, nVidia GT630 or so

4. Recoil

Recoil Guest