Gotye Somebody that i used to know chorus synth

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by anthony doyle, Dec 4, 2022.

1. anthony doyle

anthony doyle Kapellmeister

Pretty big song, I'm sure somebody knows this. What is the synth in the chorus from ? software ? specific synth ? Sound is at 1:33

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

You mean the high pitched lead sound? That pizzicato part is a (toy?) xylophone or Marimba, but I am not sure of the lead. Got me. Which is still much better than Got Ye? "Look, he was never in the band. He doesn't even know who we are. It was just that one song". js

I bet it is Kontakt. final guess.

4. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

guitar with vibrato FX ? the notes timbre feels like from different strings on guitar. Synth sounds more balanced.

5. reziduchamp

reziduchamp Platinum Record

That's a synth. It has modulation (or vibrato), its not coming from a string. It sounds quite consistent too. The stringed instrument that hits at the same time has a plucked transient that sounds like a guitar maybe. I think it has a mod delay as well, it seems to rise in modulation - its hard to tell because it isn't exposed enough... I don't think it has any changes in velocity either, so unless it was a sampled string it would change in character on every pluck. It doesn't have a transient either...

The decay makes me think it might be a spring reverb and that might be part of the character you're looking for

You might get something similar taking a string sample, guitar sample or even something mad like a cello or double bass 3 or 4 octaves up as your waveform, then modulate it with an LFO modulating the 'oscillator' (sample?) at a high amount and probably add it to the Filter as well... It has quite a pure pitch, so I don't think you want too much movement around the pitch or it will fall out of key, just a fast oscillation for that vibrato effect

I think what makes this sound appeal is that its high energy feels wrong. Its position feels quite deep in the mix with the reverb and lack of transient, but it has a lot of high end energy, which gives it that feeling like its up close and present... It feels so much brighter late in the track, like they lifted the high end even more

Dunno if that's any use to you. If you want to build something similar without much effort go for a string (cello) sample in a Nexus or Serum and modulate it at a high speed and put an attack on the oscillator. You'll probably get something similar but unique

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. reziduchamp

Had a quick go on a Jupiter. Its probably capable of getting close. I think you need a Spring Reverb to finish the sound, I added one quickly and roughly and it sounds like they probably added something similar

Built in Ableton if you want it as a Group ADG

7. anthony doyle

@clone: The lead high pitched synth with the vibrato. I guess it could be done on guitar as well but I thought it sounded more like a synth. Not the toy xylophone/marimba sound.

8. anthony doyle

I found a setting called Vibranet Retro Vibrato Amp in Keyscape's library . I think this is the instrument used.

Attached Files:

9. anthony doyle

I added a phaser (classic phaser) to the setting in keyscape from the free phaser vst you get with mixcraft.

10. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

It's a Lowrey D575 Cotillion organ.

11. reziduchamp

Sounds really close to me. Are you happy with that? The phaser was a nice touch

12. Dimentagon

Dimentagon Rock Star

Wally owns a bunch of stuff but he's pretty into his old synths and lots of modulation. If there's a toy Piano or xylophone.. its real and reprocessed. Lots of strange guitar modulation happening in this track.
    Here's the Track he sampled and gave the Late Louis Bonfa 45% of the track

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. anthony doyle

Thank you, it sounds quite similar. I think I am happy with this setting for this type of sound although Moogerfooger has said its a Lowrey Organ.

14. anthony doyle

More info about the song. Sampletron was used for the mellotron flute sounds at 2:36 - 2:40. Says IK software was also used during the chorus. Mellotron flutes and maybe Chamberlins.
    Source:https://www.futureproducers.com/for...gotyes-“somebody-that-i-used-to-know”.435129/

Winner of three Grammys, including Record of the Year plus Number 1 in the Billboard charts, Gotye's massive single "Somebody That I Used to Know" from the album "Making Mirrors" has been a global phenomenon – with almost 400 MILLION YouTube views, and still growing. And naturally, Wally De Backer, Gotye's real name, is an IK fan!
    He began recording his third album, Making Mirrors, in March 2011 in his own studio in Melbourne, Australia. "Somebody That I Used to Know" was the 3rd track on the album and was released as a single in July 2011.
    Wally has made extensive use of SampleMoog and SampleTron, he told us:
    "I used SampleTron in Somebody That I Used To Know for the flute part in Kimbra's verse, and also in the choruses. It was the Mellotron flutes, there may have been Chamberlins too".
    The band also uses them when playing live:
    "Tim Shiel (samples and keyboards in my band) and I use both SampleMoog and SampleTron in our live performances also. We're using them on multiple computers!"
    He then continued:
    "I've used IK Multimedia's SampleTron and SampleMoog extensively during the recording of Making Mirrors and in the Gotye live show. They are excellent multi-samplers, with good control over layering and manipulating patches. And there's a broad selection of hard-to-find instruments represented. Thanks, IK, for making groovy software!"

Check out the video of "Somebody That I Used to Know" - listen carefully to the flute sound behind Kimbra's voice when she starts singing, unmistakably SampleTron!
    You’ll hear it again, together with SampleMoog, throughout the Making Mirrors album.
    For full information about the music of Gotye, we recommend a visit to his website here.

15. anthony doyle

16. clone

clone Audiosexual

that reads like nothing but an advertisement. actually, it even sounds like a lot of the BS stories that always accompany a good song put out by a major label.

I read that the sound was from the Cotillion organ in above post. If you YT the model#, there is a "cover" of it using a different model organ but it's the same manufacturer and sound. It mentions a story that he first got this model organ from his parents who bought it for him for $100.

There is a really good amount of room for embellishment here. Et voila! A product you can buy with that sampled model # in it. yeah, ok.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2022
  17. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

I'm holding fast to the Lowrey. The vibrato is a dead giveaway in my opinion.

18. CosmicJhin

CosmicJhin Noisemaker

this is a vid with the stems @ 7:50 you can listen to the single audio track a little better than in the full track if that helps

edit:
    "Finally, the 'Synth' part is another instrumental hook [playing G-A-C-G-A-F-C]. It has some Speakerphone reverb, and some Avid AIR Stereo Width, plus the Phoenix Cranesong Luminescent plug-in to give it more width and shine.” - a quote of an interview of Francois Tetaz who mixed the song

full interview here: https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/mixing-gotyes-somebody-used-know-francois-tetaz

Last edited: Dec 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. anthony doyle

Thanks for that CosmicJhin, thats a huge help to hear it isolated.