Got banned/restricted on distrokid for no reason

Discussion in 'Internet for Musician' started by amadeok, Jun 18, 2024.

1. Free Agent

Free Agent Platinum Record

What distributor would you recommend not to experience such BS ?

2. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

SAME.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. ryu_shiro_878

ryu_shiro_878 Producer

I'm not opening a reddit link even if God answered it directly.

Edit - What's going on, you just added a Google link now. I'm not debating. I know Kafka the most out of any other authors I've been fortunate to grace my eyes on. Those lines are dumb. Even if he phrased those lines in some other work, the translation here is horrible -- something he'd never in sleep utter. It has nothing to do with Metamorphosis.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2024
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

This is a pretty famous misled attribution and a not so great translation, translation in general is a weak art since languages are very different.

To end this once and for all and move on with it so that we don't spiral down the toilet of this and that here is the letter where it comes from - from the archives of the University of Vienna:

The tangents we take in this place and the arguments they inspire are mind boggling to say the least.

6. ryu_shiro_878

ryu_shiro_878 Producer

Here's the translation:
    II.png III.png

Here, this is from a earlier letter than the above one. I share his views on psychoanalysis. Nice find:

I.png

Nevertheless, nothing of this has anything to do with Metamorphosis.

7. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I am a devotee of Sri Tangental Tack and am pilgraming to his ashram in Tamil Nadu this winter to sit with him.

Namaste and blessings

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. FlIzZY

FlIzZY Newbie

totally agree, I can recommend Amuse...I tried it out when they also had a free subscription where you were able to release 10 Releases a year and only had to split your incomes with them (which never was a thing for a small musician like me) and I nearly never had any issues with them at all. Only two times my Release werent approved, because one time the artwork wasnt allowed and the other time there was a 8 second sample in it which I didnt even knew had a copyright at all :D the gave me a warning, I kicked that Song out of the Release, reuploaded it and a month later it has been released.

Two month ago they changed their service a bit and got rid of the free plan, but since their basic plan only costs like 25 bucks a year that is not a big thing and as soon as I have other stuff to release I will upgrade my plan :D and no, they didnt took down any of my previous Releases...I am pretty happy with their Service and hope it helps you out aswell

9. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

Correct, now that it is solved we can let it rest in peace and everyone can go back to being peaceful.

10. ryu_shiro_878

ryu_shiro_878 Producer

I.png

11. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

If that was the reason I doubt that they would accept 90% of all grindcore albums and songs. 1 minute is the standard length of a song in that genre, and 2 minutes long songs are scarce at best.

My guess is that Spotify/DistroKid is basically trying to gatekeep what music can be uploaded to streaming platforms, and especially to Spotify. They actually don't want all of the independently produced and recorded music uploaded on Spotify, but they want the money that all unsigned artists and bedroom producers are willing to pay to get their songs uploaded. It's just like back in the day with record labels, but even shadier.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Yeah, Spotify recently raised the bar for payouts as well. They demonetised 85% of tracks starting in April. In other words, "your content is distracting from the artists that make us money, would you kindly fuck off".

13. Lad Impala

Lad Impala Platinum Record

everything is attributed to kafka nowadays. i've seem so many fake quotes and fake stories about kafka i don't even care anymore.

14. tnc

tnc Producer

https://www.reddit.com/r/WeAreTheMusicMakers/comments/71fago/distrokid_and_editorial_discretion/
    Quote:

"DistroKid founder here.

In general, stores have told us when they've "had enough" of a certain type of content.
    And they reject it for editorial discretion.

Not saying this example applies to you, but every day it seems 20 people want to upload 100 albums of "city street sounds" or "babbling brook sleep sounds" and eventually the stores were like "that's enough."

Write in to [email protected] (looks like you already did) and hopefully you get a good answer."

The stores (Spotify/Apple etc) just didn't like your uploads....

15. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

By the way, those links were in support of your position that those words do not appear in Metamorphosis.
    The "wrong information" I mentioned is the incorrect attributions.

16. tnc

tnc Producer

What is needed is a distributor that has "stamp of quality" that checks your tracks before you pay anything.
    That is what LABELS / record companies are for.
    Or setup your own site where ppl can download and listen or even pay for your music. Or use bandcamp, reverbnation etc.

I think it is good that they remove shit.. its not a human right to have your shit uploaded everywhere.. (not saying your music is shit, I haven't heard it).

I still hate Spotify and the likes though....

17. Lad Impala

Lad Impala Platinum Record

"Et tu, Brute?"
    - Franz Kafka, Metamorphosis

18. Auen Fred

Auen Fred Ultrasonic

back in the days the small artists anyways did make their main income from gigs and merch , creating lets say a movement .
    same is today .this is still the ultimate to getting known .i know its genrewise but do you think guys like lorn or burial got known thru spotify , they got known thru track count leading into the algo .hippie sabotage thru yt and gigs and so on.for boombap and dnb stuff its yt label pool channels .as soon as you get some views you have some side hustle thru ads.
    i really can understand ppl who want make little income with their music with such services but in the end its more worse moneywise than supermarked lobby does rip off farmers , so its actually a no go to go this route .

me as consumer couldnt care less about spotify .i just need yt and ru , im honest i didnt pay for music since 1993 .working in constraction and then giving myfew money to labels or rich kid artist which own gear i only can dream off no fckn way,. and today for small new artist they must go the hard route like always and ever and still have more possiblity to create revenue without spotify with use of social media and yt .

the thing for example german shit hiphop/rap lele hitmix , spotify playlist is huge reference for an artist to get further up labelwise...bla

Last edited: Jun 19, 2024
  19. ELJUNTADERO2022

ELJUNTADERO2022 Producer

im in the same line here

20. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I would like to point out to a trend on Youtube that may or may not influence other streaming platforms. They push/promote AI made videos, made probably by Youtube, so they don't have to pay that much to real creators. Imagine what happens if/when 50% of the videos on Youtube are made by AI-them. Their revenue doubles. For now, these AI videos are hit and miss in quality, mostly miss, but they're getting better and harder to notice. I wonder if audio streaming services will try to push their own AI "performers" in a similar way? Keep the top popular 5% that bring most of the money, and have a ton of AI made songs, they don't have to pay for anything to anybody. Greed is underestimated, lads...

I've also noticed that a lot of companies are in transition/transitioned to a subscription model, and there are less programs, samples, and plugins you can buy. Data mining and lust to control everything and everyone is going crazy. Capitalism is going crazy with just a handful of corporations running the whole "show". Everybody seems to be more hungry for money than ever. I've never seen so many discounts, offers, sales before. It is crazy. :sad: Can you smell "social credits" somewhere along the line? If you don't have enough social credits, you get "cancelled", or something...

Let's face it - making money from your creativity is going down the drain quickly and all you can do is make art for yourself. Maybe you get lucky and monetise it somehow. It will always be possible, I think... but golden years for streamers of all kind are over. ~2010-2022. Interestingly, rise of the AI/ChatGPT started in 2023. Not a coincidence.

I often chat with the "lad" (ChatGPT 3.5) now. Al is interesting. Knows a lot about Linux terminal. :wink:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List