Google eavesdropping tool installed on computers without permission.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Von_Steyr, Jan 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Privacy campaigners and open source developers are up in arms over the secret installing of Google software which is capable of listening in on conversations held in front of a computer.

First spotted by open source developers, the Chromium browser – the open source basis for Google’s Chrome – began remotely installing audio-snooping code that was capable of listening to users.

It was designed to support Chrome’s new “OK, Google” hotword detection – which makes the computer respond when you talk to it – but was installed, and, some users have claimed, it is activated on computers without their permission.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...g-tool-installed-computers-without-permission

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  3. Avenel

Avenel Kapellmeister

what else did they expect using a google browser that also installs 2 background services ?
    anything google = spyware

and this was true since day one.
    i'm stuck with Firefox but the new FF Developer x64 is a big step forward.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Samsung does this with their televisions and mobile devices too. There's a reason why the Galaxy phone was marketed and distributed so vigorously. It's a cool phone and all but, yeah.

Now think about all the affordablly designed Nexus devices thrown out to impoverished countries. If you think this was done so data could be mined for advertising and marketing purposes, that's probably about 5% accurate.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. instantkarma

instantkarma Noisemaker

The video and the Guardian report were posted back in 2015. This is not news guys, Google knows us better than ourselves. For years.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  6. G String

G String Rock Star

And Alex Jones has suddenly fallen in love with Government. Gee, I wonder why.....

7. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Hes been reporting on such stuff for ages.

Guys is anyone considering switching their smart phone for some older pre 2010 mobile phone?
    Im thinking of getting an older Nokia, simple stuff.

8. G String

G String Rock Star

For nearly twenty years he has hosted and promoted a whole litany of serious far-right anti-semites and even neo-Nazis, without ever complaining about any of "all that stuff".

Suddenly he's "discovered" a lot of his audience aren't too keen on Israel.....or Jews. Ten years ago he was promoting *known* Nazi supporters, Holocaust deniers, court-known anti-semites etc. With never a word of complaint - only....."Well guys, BUY THEIR BOOK FROM OUR WEBSITE AND SUBSCRIBE ON YOUTUBE!!!" etc/

These are the folk riding on Trump's coat-tails...........or is it the other way around? yikes.

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Did you bother to take your camera directly into the devils den?
    He did.So what is the problem.
    Everything you`ve stated is typical PC fake news shit allegations and bed time stories.
    Post his "neo nazi" videos man, or stfu, you are derailing a legit topic.

10. G String

G String Rock Star

It's true. <shrug> I do know what I am talking about.

You posted a video of his in the OP, how was I to know I wasn't supposed to refer to it?

I've spent fifteen years watching Alex Jones mixing with the far-right. That's what that video means to me. I've written tens of thousands of words on it. Maybe more. But never mind. Sign o the Times.

11. Kloud

Kloud Guest

Literally everything you do nowadays is monitored :yes: Some of the stuff that is happening is real scary.
    How much is just hearsay and how much is actually factual I personally couldn't be objective about but even a fraction of the stories or rumours that circulate are true it's downright alarming.
    Is real a real scary prospect when you consider the paper trail and data collection that is going on without people consenting or knowledge of what is happening.
    I guess the only saving grace is that you have to try and be somehow objective :dunno:
    Of course there are "real world" threats where this type of information is invaluable.
    It's going to continue and as technology becomes more intrusive can only see such practises escalating.
    However, everyone got a right to take their personal privacy as paramount.
    I guess if you are that concerned you simply have to take active "counter measures" and so forth.
    Suppose you can go and live in complete isolation in some far flung corner of the globe but to what ends or objective purpose :dunno:
    Whether it should be that way, it's a complex argument with many dimensions but it's most definitely unsettling :yes::bow:

12. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

That's the thing about radicals. Their truth seperates the population into believers, non-believers and the indifferent.
    This is nothing against you G String. I wouldn't presume to know who you are and what you believe concerning this kind of stuff.
    The tragedy for me is that the indifferent are usually lumped in with the non-believers leaving the rest in the minority. This type of environment never advocates any change.

Von_Steyer, Nokias were beautifully designed. There was no consumer device more durable except maybe that rugged Nextel line made specifically for construction. There's a reason why those older phones are still used by terrorists, drug dealers and politicians. They are insanely hard to track. To this day, our military and central intelligence can track down any mobile device or computer with ease *unless* it's a Nokia. Its possible, they just have to work harder.

Its a shame that the Maemo OS never caught on. And Symbian was more practical than anything out now. The only phone I know that let you use all of its available memory (except what it needed to operate) for contacts alone. Zero bloat.

I want Nokia back.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I am really thinking of getting that old small brick.They are so cheap.This whole 5"+ smart phone trend has become ridiculous.
    I see these millenials and people my age walking around like zombies.
    Also theres the other thing, having a phone like that would automatically make you more aware of your surroundings and spend time thinking, analyzing or just not touching the phone.
    As Seinfeld said, scrolling trough these big phones with your finger makes your look like a gay french king, lol.
    IMO its like playing tamagochi, you have to feed the damn thing every day otherwise it dies.

14. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Right?
    My question is, between the phone and the user, who's the tamagotchi and who's the one feeding the virtual pet?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. instantkarma

instantkarma Noisemaker

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

That's about as Nokia as this.
    upload_2017-1-22_14-34-39.jpeg

IMO the hardware was never the problem.

17. Avenel

Avenel Kapellmeister

in 2017 the best you can achieve is owning a SIM card registered to someone else.
    but you're still tracked once you log into social networks and all, unless you create brand new accounts and never contact your friends and dont create a contact list, etc.

in any case anyone snooping could recognize your voice, and your IP will be geolocated if you use 3G/4G, if not you'll be geolocated by GPRS anyway.
    once you power on your phone you're into the matrix, there's no magical trick to get out of it, no proxies or anonymizer as with TCP/IP, no TOR or VPNs.

18. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Time to start working on that hack proof phone.
    [​IMG]

19. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

It's scary how simple it was to implement a hookswitch bypass on rotary phones. It could turn any phone into a microphone while it was still hung-up. Nowadays we can do this with bluetooth. Anyone with a bluetooth headset should personalize their PIN. The default password on a wireless headset out-of-the-box is usually 1234 or 0000. WIFI, for all it's useful glory, is even worse. I remember Google sending up hot-air balloons to spread the net. I may sound like a lunatic. Fair enough.

Here's something more agreeable with distortion.

20. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

Will be monitoring this thread, lol. Google Mod

21. robotboy

robotboy Producer

Oh. Well ok then.