Goodbye Logic. Hello Reaper or Studio One.

Discussion in 'DAW' started by returnal, Feb 20, 2017.

1. blacknblue

blacknblue Producer

No way, man. Too big.

2. returnal

returnal Rock Star

Ha! That's what I figured.

3. LuckySevens

LuckySevens Platinum Record

I don't know what rock you've been hiding under, but there isn't a single DAW out there that's perfect. For anyone OR everyone. If there was, then there wouldn't be choices... and everyone would be using "that perfect DAW".

You'll realize this (without ever admitting to it) in due time because TBH, Logic Pro X is still one of the finest, most stable DAW's available, or 67% of the music industry wouldn't be using it to score films, TV and/or games with it (which BTW, is it's truly main focus and original intent).

If you do commercial music (pop, edm, various other electronic, etc.), yes, there may be better choices scaled back for that purpose (i.e: Ableton LIVE, FL, Studio One, etc.) too.

I'm not judging... I just felt like letting other's know the truth, and that is... you will encounter issues WITH EVERY MUSICAL PRODUCT MADE.
    It's inevitable due to the demands consumers place on developers... so really, it's our own damn fault. Some developers are quicker at figuring things out... and in my opinion Apple is one of the best (not so much at personal requests though).

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  4. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Man, I love this community. You guys freakin ROCK! :headbang:

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. LuckySevens

LuckySevens Platinum Record

Just an FYI... I've had issues with Digital Performer (which I loved and thought I'd never replace!), then Cubase (didn't like it) and then when I tried Logic (10 years ago)... I fell in love with it's never ending depth of usability, at every level. I compose mostly for TV now but did everything from albums to advertising and films too. I have yet to land a game composing job (which I want desperately!) and I may never get the opportunity now... but having worked in film and television plus having seen other game composers use Logic, I know I'm capable of anything with Logic. Nothing else is needed. But... that's just me and the way I've set my computers up and streamlined my workflow.
    Everybody is different with different needs...

Cheers everyone.

6. blacknblue

blacknblue Producer

Oh, that's nothing. I've been working without audio interface for a while now. I'm like a Bruce freaking Willis, you see, in a Die Hard movie. the tougher the conditions, the tougher I am :hahaha: :deep_facepalm: but seriously, though, I don't believe it's so much about the tools. I believe it's about the passion and dedication one has for the thing he's doing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. audiopro

audiopro Member

i think logic pro best interface musician friendly GUI and best arrange workflow. last feature selection-based processing (with 10.3.1) is amazing. i thing the time is logic pro. also will come this july version Logic Pro 11 New EXS24 also many news.. Stay LP..:wink:

8. returnal

returnal Rock Star

I'm pretty sure I never asked for opinions here on what the perfect DAW is. I've been working with "pro" software (Final Cut, Premiere, After Effects, PhotoShop, etc.) in my job long enough to know that everything has its strengths and weaknesses and everything has bugs. Everything. I know that. There is no utopian DAW. And the right DAW for me may not be the right DAW for you - and vice-versa.

It's worth pointing out that I'm not switching DAWs because I wanted to. I would much rather have spent the last two days arranging and recording music rather than fighting with a Logic bug and then getting accustomed to a new DAW interface. I did not start this thread to bash Logic. I did that a bit in my initial post out of sheer frustration, (for which anyone is right to call me out), but breakups are hard and messy. The intent of the thread from the get-go was simply to gauge opinion on which DAW between Reaper and Studio One would be more reliable and efficient. I supposed all my enthusiastic posts about what a delight I'm finding Reaper to be could be construed as "Reaper better than Logic" talk. I don't mean it as such. I'm just relieved that I'm actually enjoying this change instead of loathing it like I thought I would. I certainly didn't want to create a Logic vs. Reaper thread.

I initially went the Logic route because I used and loved Final Cut Pro 7 for work, and I had started fooling around with GarageBand in my spare time, but its capabilities were too limiting. Logic was the next logical step for my music making because it was more powerful than GarageBand and quite familiar and intuitive to use right out of the box . . . this would have been around 2006. In that time I've used it in every updated form they've released, on multiple systems and OS's, and with multiple audio and MIDI interfaces. I have mostly loved it, but I've had some issues as well in that time . . . no big deal. A few days ago I sat down to record around 15 parts in 5 different projects that all feature tempo automation. I quickly found out that the MIDI being sent to my hardware synths was lagging further and further behind the track tempo when there was tempo automation happening - as much as by a 16th note only 1/3rd of the way into a track. When there was a passage of constant tempo the MIDI would catch back up to where it should be. The effect on the ears made me seasick, and the recording were entirely unusable. And I'm not talking intense automation here - I'm talking ramping up from 141bpm to 144bpm and back again. And before anyone says it, yes, I know that many people aren't having this problem.

I attempted numerous different fixes, settings and work arounds for a day and a half to no avail. In the end a very knowledgeable mod on one of the biggest and best Logic forums informed me that indeed it is a bug, (that some others are also experiencing), for which there is currently no known cure, and that to make my recordings with external MIDI hardware I would have to isolate and SMPTE lock all my MIDI regions, and then create a new tempo track with no automation. This was simply not a work around that I saw as viable to my continued workflow in Logic. Time was ticking and I was getting nothing done. I considered my other DAW options as being between Studio One and Reaper and created this thread to gauge other user's experiences with the two. The consensus was clear. I downloaded Reaper and within five minutes I had imported my MIDI files with tempo automation information and was recording my external hardware with very tight timing. I could keep fighting with Logic to see if I can cure the bug . . . but why? My choice, right now today, is to continue fighting with this Logic bug or make music in Reaper. It's only one person's experience and choice, but for me, today, the choice is clear.

Will Reaper have bugs? Of course. My unfortunate experience with Logic over the years has been that the bugs I have contended with have been the sorts of things that require major workarounds or make it impossible to make music until they are sorted out. They haven't been the "how come I can only open this folder if I click near the top left corner" kind of bugs. Its performance has just not been as reliable as any other piece of "pro" software I've used over the years. My experience might very well be a rare anomaly. Many people are probably getting fabulous performance out of Logic, but I can't keep using it because of the performance other people are getting.

In terms of defending or bashing Logic I'll simply add that I've yet to hear one single person who has used Logic and Reaper tell me that Logic is the more reliable, powerful and efficient software. People will tell you that Reaper has a steeper learning curve and people will tell you that Logic's MIDI editing capabilities are stronger than Reaper's . . . but I've heard no one say that Logic's CPU usage outshines Reaper. My priorities when I first started using Logic was to find something intuitive and accessible. Ten years later my priorities have changed a bit.

I wish Logic and I could have continued together. We had a beautiful thing once. But we've grown apart over the years and lately she's been very cranky with me. I wish her all the best. God knows she's cute and comes from a rich family. I'm sure someone else will find her and love her just as quickly as I'm leaving her and forgetting her.

9. returnal

returnal Rock Star

Next you're going to tell me that you're now recording and mixing on nothing more than 1980's Casio calculator! :rofl:

10. returnal

returnal Rock Star

I'm sure it'll continue to be awesome and become more awesome. I'm going in a different direction, but I hope (and assume) Logic will continue to rock for you! :mates:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017