Goodbye Acid 7 - Hello Reaper 4

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by kearnsy, May 19, 2014.

1. kearnsy

kearnsy Banned

I've decided to make the jump to reaper from acid 7

I love acid and there'll always be a soft spot in my heart for it after using it since version 4, but after reading around I've found it it can't use more than 3gb ram, is this right guys?

After installing the new AD2 Drums and EZ Drums 2 that came out the other day, it wasn't being picked up as a 64 bit plug in only a 32 bit, and when i was loading them both up together it was saying there's a RAM memory problem, even though i have 8GB installed on my pc

So, what do you reaper folk think then, will it be a smooth transition do you think?

Have i made the right choice instead of one of the big hitters like cubase or logic?

Cheers folks

3. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

you have not lot of choice with x64

* Live 9
    * Samplitude X
    * Studio one 2
    * Reaper 4
    * Sonar

If you understand what I mean, or you have...

4. remix

remix Platinum Record

Yeah sadly Acid is only 32bit...

i still use it and love it...

i will say one thing tho, i now use studio one 2 as well, its the nearest thing i found to acid but with loadsa extra features...

5. faunus

faunus Ultrasonic

i think you can use a vst bridge like jbridge to run 64bit vstis to 32 bit host !
    i did it with cubase 5 32 bit and jbridge !

6. fataltone

fataltone Newbie

yes studio one 2 is going to be very close to what Acid is with a lot more features I +1 on that statement

7. kearnsy

kearnsy Banned

*Googles studio one 2 immediately* '0)

8. ThaiZen

ThaiZen Newbie

I vote you use Reaper x64, it will bridge 32bit plugins automatically, has a well laid out workflow space & 100's of themes to choose from. I currently use Reaper & love this DAW!! Top notch software, easy to use & endless options to configure. I tried Studio One 2 & did not like it myself, the work space & layout seemed cramped & too small for my Laptop screen ( 15.6 - 1920x1080 )I find Reaper lays out well in a laptop & coming from a Sonar DAW it is very similar in layout & workflow space. Test drive it yourself & see...

9. kearnsy

kearnsy Banned

Yeah I've been playing with it for a bit here and there since yesterday

I do like it, a lot, but I've been used to acid pro for that long and knowing where everything is that it's getting a bit frustrating when I'm like "Where's the bloody pen and eraser tools?", and "where is this and that"

It's just a case of getting used to where everything is, I'm liking it, and i'm going to force myself to learn to use it so i can move away from Acid

I suppose if Sony brought out acid 8, i'd jump back bit according to the guys on the web it don't look likely

10. orgcha

orgcha Ultrasonic

Reaper is the most under-rated DAW around. There is SO much you can do with it and the support forum is beyond comparison. You'll never have a question that can't be answered there.

Code:
    http://forum.cockos.com/index.php

11. kearnsy

kearnsy Banned

Cheers dude, i'll check it out

12. vanhaze

vanhaze Platinum Record

+1 The people on that forum are very,very helpful.
    I have been helped alot on that forum.

Please dig deep enough in Reaper and soon you will find that this is just an awesome DAW !
    And i know it, i used Live, Logic , Protools and Cubase for your years, switched to a year ago Reaper and now i am never gonna look back.
    It's just a great feeling to use Reaper.
    Don't get overwhelmed by all the functionality, 1000's of menu items and the "odd" routing in Reaper, where you have only 1 type of Track.
    Again, dig into it at slow place, give yourself time to learn all the aspects.

Welcome aboard ! :wink:

Robbie

13. kearnsy

kearnsy Banned

Thanks man, looking forward to it, i love it already

14. DexVegas

DexVegas Newbie

Can't you Rewire Acid into Reaper? Might make transitioning easier.

15. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

i think it has to be accepted that acid is no more. sony didn't really show willing to develop it - their reputation with software is terrible. i loved acid and used it solely for a very long time. but as it progressed it got more bloated, more buggy, unbelievably cak-handed implementation of midi and a mixer only arriving when it was to late in the game and ableton and reaper et al basically swallowed up everything acid could do and spat it back with bells on. i can't think of a daw now that cannot do what acid did and usually a lot more...
    it's terrible but you can only maintain loyalty for so long with software. even if acid 8 came out now it would be hard to see ( impossible imho) what on earth they could bring to the table. i think they are going to carry on developing vegas as their flagship product which i also love a lot, but that's rare for sony stuff in my book.
    i use reaper now ( for proper mastering and arranging stuff : ).. i still use fl studio to which i love just for playing about with stuff. and as is pointed out above rewire means i can mash all this stuff together quite happily.
    acid is dead - long live acid
    etc : )