Good vocalrecording in an untreated room?

Discussion in 'Studio' started by namurtik, Jun 15, 2024.

1. namurtik

namurtik Noisemaker

Hello everyone!
    I'm a rapper and until a few years ago I had something like a career. But I got sick, lost everything, have no more listeners and no more money. Now I've bought an Apollo and a Slate ML1 with my last money and would like to start all over again. I can't afford a studio at the moment, so I have to record in my bedroom. Unfortunately, the walls are very empty and I haven't treated them. What can I do with small budget to make the cleanest and best vocal recordings possible? I have seen that these micshields are no good. What would you do if you were me?

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Heavy curtains (ceiling to floor) on two connected walls (with some spacing) and a dynamic mic like Shure SM7b or similar (pointing toward the absorbed/dampened corner).

Remember that mics are directional (cardioid) so they pick up most of the sound what you are "aiming it at" (your mouth and what's behind you) - not so much what is behind the microphone (like a reflection shield).
    Condenser mics also capture more of the room/ambience than a dynamic mic.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Far and away the best reflection filter made is the Aston Halo. It is actually quite remarkable

• Like Like x 5
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Jomexe

Jomexe Ultrasonic

A mic shield is worth having, especially with an omnidirectional mic as it can help block background noises. Thick curtains (behind the vocalist's back) are also helpful.

However, another approach, or an additional one, would be to use a reverb remover. I haven't tried any of these myself, but they might be helpful:

https://integraudio.com/5-best-reverb-removal-plugins/

https://www.production-expert.com/p...lar-de-reverb-plugins-take-our-listening-test

The second link has some before/after examples. I was surprised how effective the plugins are! To my ears, some sound better than others, but they all do the job.

The winner of the listening tests seems to be Acon DeVerberate. (Listed on the sister site.)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2024
  6. chrizzz

chrizzz Newbie

Undo a metal coat hanger and shape it into a circle then borrow some nylons (tights) and stretch them over the circle, then fabricate an adapter to place it before the mic, works well as a very cheap popper stopper (a tennis racquet with nylons over them would also work) as for room sound do as baxter said ↑ Heavy curtains (ceiling to floor).
    jomexe is right about getting software to get rid of reverb, i use Accentize dxRevive and start low with the wet/dry mix then up the percentage after every pass.

7. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

The best mic in this situation is a Shure SM7B, forget about condensers :wink:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. canbi

canbi Ultrasonic

diy?

9. tylerv

tylerv Platinum Record

line the walls and cieling of one of your closets with the heaviest blankets/quilts you own. moving blankets are excellent for this. don't forget the back side of the door. if you have a micshield as well use that too. it doesn't hurt.

thats going to be your absolute best route on virtually no $$. honestly is more than capable of getting you a great flat dry vocal track.

10. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

No, a DIY would be nearly impossible to super hard to replicate the Aston. It is really big and made of a proprietary felt. If my room wasn't a good sounding one I'd get the the Halo if I could afford it, and the OP sounds like he's not flush right now. It's not cheap, around 260 bucks near me.

Zero cost solution...

11. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

I built a furniture grade PVC vocal booth, held together with bungee cords and c-clamped "acoustic-grade" moving blankets all over it like this : 3.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg Also use a laptop in the booth to control main DAW with TEAMVIEWER over the LAN for vocal takes.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  12. namurtik

namurtik Noisemaker

@bluerover wow!! This is amazing! What blankets did you use?

@tylerv Thanks! I once heard that the recording would be muffled. I assume that's not true?

@Lois Lane Thanks!!

@Zenarcist understand, but I have a kondensator now :/

@Baxter okay thank you :)

@chrizzz Thank you! Have you tried with Clarity? or RX?

13. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual