GOOD GOD!!.. anyone catch newest GodspeedYou Black EMperor! ALbum

Discussion in 'Music' started by GreatJobChamp, Sep 17, 2017.

1. GreatJobChamp

GreatJobChamp Producer

Still crushin it... I can quite easily say... best band of all time.. but then I hold off for like 5 minutes, until I have to admit that there;s many amazing bands that tie for first... for different reasons... but with GYBE!... I can hold out the longest, before taking it back somewhat.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Willum

Willum Rock Star

Best band of all time, lol.

I lasted just 15 seconds before i had to stop it.

It sounds tuneless, discordant and like every instrument is just slightly out of tune with each other.

4. Yuri

Yuri Rock Star

I'm a fan and am off see them next month. Haven't listened to the new album yet, but I don't think anything will top Lift Your Skinny Fists for me, Storm kills me every time.

5. safran5020

safran5020 Platinum Record

@GreatJobChamp , I sincerely hope that you made of irony there.
    Elementary school bands sounds way better then this.

But of course, this is only my humble opinion.

Cheers !

6. PopstarKiller

PopstarKiller Platinum Record

Always found them overrated, still does.

7. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

A very muddy mix, no clarity and instrument separation. Too bad since it sounds interesting albeit too congested and lacks direction.

Hype.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2017
  8. tone

tone Member

lol
    The comments here....Many people seem to have a hard time grasping the idea of varying aesthetics. A post-rock band with punk rock roots going from Glen Branca, to Ennio Morricone...Dont expect a EDM type of mix :) I can assure you the type of sound and mixes are a philosophical choice. If its not your bag, I get it, but please...

Im from Montreal and I've seen them live many times. It was simply grandiose and intense. Seeing as they have had SO MUCH praise, I might find them slightly overrated, but thats just cause the hype was so big.

9. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

Not even close to what i concider "best band"
    have you ever heard of early Dream Theater, Yes, Rush, Kansas, Frank Zappa,s Mother of invention King Crimson, Dixie Dregs i say almost all progrock progmetal bands is way better than that band.

But then again common people thought Oasis was the best band in the world and before them they thought Guns N Roses was the best band.

10. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Why does this specific tune reminds me The Piper at the Gates of Dawn from Pink Floyd in 1967?

Update (after listening for more than 10 minutes):
    OMG, the more I listen to this the more it sounds like they copy/pasted Pink Floyd... fifty years (too) late!

I will not argue with you because of course this is your personal taste. I will just agree to disagree.

On a general note, I believe that there's no such a thing as "best band of all time" but there are good bands that might sound better than others at a specific stage of your life in a specific context.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

This one.

12. electriclash

electriclash Guest

There's only so much a band can do but yeah... bass presence straight out of set the controls for the heart of the sun
    [​IMG]

I've let it play for a bit.. not bad, kinda velvet underground with the cale viola drones, then hits the post-rock elements; nice, big triumphant chordings - definitely some Who influence in there too*

eh, good on you Champ, enjoy :yes::yes:

*bit of this as well

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. GreatJobChamp

GreatJobChamp Producer

@tone

clearly a number of those closer to the pre-programmed end of the spectrum

"I am robot... what do i listen to hollywood.. please tell me" (as I motion my arms robotically and speak in monotone computer voice).

if you are of the pre-programmed type... where the top 20 music has been your reference point for what "music" is (created for those with minimal brain activity and attention), you NEED... absolutely MUST HAVE the second chorus by 17 seconds into the song...

Their structure and style is long and drawn out... the idea of understanding Godspeed in 15 seconds is the biggest fucking laugh in the world.

Its dischordant... exactly. what;s your point.

It took me awhile to listen to this band... I first bought Yanqui uxo, and would throw it in, but after 5 minutes, "it" wasn't happening fast enough... but THE DAY I LET GO of that PRECONCEIVED BOUNDARY... holy shit man wow... If I were to first hear Luciferian Towers album, perhaps, in my less developed listening state, I too would have thought it was shit... try listening to Yanqui UXO... make yourself slow the FUCK DOWN, and listen. ANd their previous albums... there shit is unreal man.. you people, I can honestly tell you, that YOU are actually the ones missing out. I have been on YOUR SIDE of this argument before... so I know exactly what you are thinking.

And yes, you that listen to nothing but EDM genres... you don't get that with regular music... where bands play, and are doing the orchestral thing with layered instruments, then an element of masking will have to occur.

You have missed the boat completely... I knew this would have it's response from those that do not yet understand something like this.

its cool though... I get it

14. GreatJobChamp

GreatJobChamp Producer

You have to check out their earlier albums.. Try Yanqui UXO... listen to that until you can anticipate all the changes and odd meter stuff.... you will come into a new level of musical interest that is WELL WORTH THE EFFORT to slow the fuck down on how a song is "SUPPOSED" to be structured.

15. GreatJobChamp

GreatJobChamp Producer

Lift year fists is down right insane... every single person here is missing out... it took TIIIIIIMMMEEEE for me to listen to this band and "get it"... probably more than any other, "straight to the frontal lobe" , 2-pump-chump pop structure music ever would.... and probably longer than some ambient stuff like Geir Jensen and Biosphere might have for me in the beginning...

It's cool though... i am surrounded by people like these daily... and haven't killed any yet... or myself for that matter, so not worried about it.

To each their own.

Yay bacon