Good (& cheap) mic for singers?

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Highdom, Oct 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. tvandlover

tvandlover Kapellmeister

I like the way people mention a 100 dollar mic as being a cheap one. I dream of just an sm 58. Try to think globally chaps.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Platinum Record

Its definitely not cheap, used more as a live performance mic then in studio for some reason, on that note would an SM57 be better for vocals? I think so IMO. Some great stuff was made with a Tascam 4 track and one of these BTW. The most important thing to have is skills.

I also forgot how good the beta 58's sound as well.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 6:33 PM
  3. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Oktava
    Russian mics, super cheap. Especially if dollar grows, it is cheaper. But there was audio comparison on their site. Compared with neumann, akg etc. So, almost no difference, or subtle. High Quality for 100-250 bugs is a steal. Tube ones cost a bit more. But much less than US/EU models in Russia, even before financial/economical crisis.
    There are condenser, tube, etc mics on their site.
    Believe or not but Oktava is highest quality and lowest price

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Scarlett

Scarlett Newbie

The worst mike for vocals is the RodeNT1A. I hated that thing with my soul AND heart. But then I found out it's great for Overheads (Drums) so I had to buy a 2nd one, hahaha, omg, the irony.

I love on the other hand Ik Multimedia Studio Mic (XLR version). I had once a MXL 990 and listening back to some recordings it was pretty neat, as well as a Blue Bluebird. Chinese microphones look amazing but they sck so much (videos on youtube are never reliable, I learned that the hard way).

If by any chance you can test microphones by recording with them and listening back AFTER it was recorded so you only listen to the recording and not also while you are singing, there is where you can tell which one you like the most.

5. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

I've heard some recordings done on these by a guy that was trying to sell me his analog studio equipment, and they had a really open sound to them. I agree, they're great mics.

6. superliquidsunshine

superliquidsunshine Audiosexual

Everywhere at once but no place in particular
    I went with the ElectoVoice RE-20 as it works better for my needs.

Everything is realtive, one person's cheap is another's I can only dream of.

I bought one for cheap, good as new from a bass player for $100 but it was terrible paired with my voice and every acoustic gutar I own. I gave it to a friend in Michigan who needed a mic, any mic. This one qualified. It's freq. spectrum is too smilely face for anything I use it on.

7. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Platinum Record

Love the rich fullness of that RE 20!

8. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Excellent choice my friend. I just saw the thread so i 'm late to the party, however, i have tested the mic i link a couple of years ago and has proven to be beyond my expectations, especially for the money it costs. It will handle vocals adequately and i found it suitable for acoustic gtrs fine as well.
    Cheers mate.
    PS: And its beautiful too lol
    https://www.bluedesigns.com/products/spark-sl/

9. superliquidsunshine

superliquidsunshine Audiosexual

Everywhere at once but no place in particular
    I like the Spark much more than the more expensive Bluebird, and now that they changed it from orange I also enjoy the view. It is also cool in black...
    [​IMG]

10. asad12

asad12 Platinum Record

I was going to recommend a mic mod by Michael Jolly but he’s not doing that anymore. Check eBay for mic mods by him only. I don’t know about other mod brands. They very good mics and very worth it to wait and save your money. They go for less thank $500 US dollars brand new. You find cheaper used ones.