Good but mid grade sound cards

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by supermanXDX, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Duu

Duu Noisemaker

+1 For Focusrite. I've used the saffire 6 (google for pics,sorry), for ages now with no problems, but I'm looking at getting the new Scarlet 816 in a few weeks.....Personally I reckon I'll always stay with Focusrite....But that's me!!!!.........Good luck!!!!

2. ionutz

ionutz Newbie

I'd go with the MOTU Ultralite MK3!

3. Taper

Taper Noisemaker

I am on a Sonic Core / Creamware DSP music enviroment, the Xite 1. This is not mid grade nor cheap. But due the Xite came into the market, there are a lot of used PCI cards like Pulsar out there. Maybe it is worth a look around ebay and such. The best system / idea imho.

4. Muze

Muze Newbie

Firstly;

www.dawbench.com

Secondly. The thing with PCI and PCI-E is that with internal stuff you can get latency as low as 64 or 32 samples. Depending on the quality of the driver. Today's I5/I7 and AMD hexacores is that they are screamingly fast. But if the connection is over USB or firewire there is some latency to the sound. I have not yet seen a USB or firewire card wich can go as low as 64 samples.

This is why I think PCI or PCI-Express are still the way to go for critical studio use. And that's allso why for the bigger studios Protools HD is a blessing.

If you can live with 128 samples or above many audio interfaces will be fine. But it is best to stick with those that are allready a year or so on the market. Since 10 years people are used to be test persons. But such is bad for studio productivity and the bond with any clients.

5. supermanXDX

supermanXDX Newbie

so many tnx guys ... Please reply more.... :wink:

6. tomazzzi

tomazzzi Member

I second motu, rocks solid, great features and great price.

I have a 828mk2 & a 828mk3, happy with both.