Good Bit Reduction & Downsample Plugin?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cav Emp, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Just as the title states.

All I want is something that is simple and sounds good. The native Ableton one is pretty decent, but I find it goes from subtle to harsh really quickly. I always know when I hear a sound that has Ableton's Redux on it. Decimort is great sounding but has a lot more bells and whistles than I need and I find the interface to be kind of hard to read so I ditched it. Any suggestions appreciated.

3. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

Chipcrusher from Plogue must be the must tasteful around.
    The harsh can be avoided with complementary fx, eq, com and any soft distortion must do the job.
    I never liked decimort... deleted a long time ago.
    The important question is why you do not like? For sure they can be avoided in Decimort... its because you are lazy to push off the buttons?:bleh::winker::mates:

4. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

what about the melda bit-reduction plugin?

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. bigFlow

bigFlow Ultrasonic

If I need this kind of plugin I use Decimort, I like it very much :)

6. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Sort of :). I just really dislike the interface - I feel like I have to squint to read it. It's nice that it has its own filters and stuff, but I can add those before/after the crusher without the visual headache. Believe me, I know Decimort is good at what it does and if I want a stereo bitcrusher it's pretty much the only game in town unless I want to set up an effect rack for it. But sometimes I just want a quick and dirty bitcrusher with big writing that says TURN THIS KNOB. Now that I think of it, i believe Sonalksis has one like that! :wink:

@ArticStorm I've never really tried Melda stuff, I'll check it out. Thanks!

7. dikkiedik

dikkiedik Member

One of the most natural and musical I have used must be Speakerphone from AudioEase. Blows Chipcrusher out of the water for me personally...

8. davea

davea Platinum Record

9. D-Music

D-Music Rock Star

10. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

CamelAudio Camel Crusher is a good one, it has tonnes of options that come along with it... like you can bitcrush your sound and add a quick flanger to it to get some interesting processing effects and add a filter or some distortion to it...it's really cool and super easy to use despite all the features...

And if you don't want the full featured one, I do believe they have a free one as well with more simplified features...

In fact, I don't know why it's no longer in my library...gotta grab a hold of this one again :)

11. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

@D-Music Funny - I was in chat less than a week ago singing the praises of P&M. I love the simplicity of their plugins for quick-and-dirty sort of jobs like I described here. Degradiator is more than decent. Thanks!

@( . ) ( . ) you must be talking about CamelPhat. I used to like that one, though at the time I wasn't competent enough to get the most out of it. I was using a k'd version for a while and it only came in 32 bit so eventually I gave it up because jbridge was causing cpu spikes. Now that I've started buying the plugs I can actually afford it doesn't appear to be possible to buy Camel Audio Stuff. Shame. At least I still have Camel Crusher.

12. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

oh shit that's right I confused the names. The free version was called Camel Crusher, and the paid one is CamelPhat...

Also, for some unkown reason, the company has gone... there was a discussion about it a while back but I had just heard about it today while looking for their website... it's sad really but their plugins are still really usable and they made some really great stuff...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  13. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

I tested a lot. I liked the good old E-Phonic (simple and efffective).
    And morfiki Redupcer. This one get a very nice morphing system OhmForce-like.

14. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

@( . ) ( . ) they were bought by Apple I believe. Now Alchemy is a part of Logic apparently :sad:

@Pipotron3000 never heard of either of those. I'll look em up, thanks. Edit: holy crap, I took a trip over to KVR and there are some REALLY cool looking free plugins there. Good lord, I don't even have time to explore all this!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  15. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

ahh that would explain why their website redirects to Logic X... shame...

Does Logic come with CamlePhat? Cuz if it does that would literally be taking the piss...

16. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

Only Alchemy...for now ;)

17. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

18. Hans242

Hans242 Producer

Cav Emp already mentioned it: Sonalksis Digital Grimebox is really good, too. :)

19. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

Decimort, the high and low pass options are a blessing when it comes to removing aliasing.
    Toneboosters timemachine is another one I like, low cpu usage too.

20. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

That's what I'm actually using... ;)

21. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

[​IMG]

Today I putted Decimort on my master channel, purely for the fun of it.
    But no matter what I tried with ozone, which is the plugin coming directly after that. does not register any bit reduction.

and yes I know reading a bit resolution readout is strange in itself.

but something is funny about Decimort, seems like it first reduces the bit rate and then adds an emulation of some sort or some other processing which is putting you right back in the 32-/64- bits realm.

which is ok if that is what you are looking for, but I'm gonna take the other plugs on a ride