Going to Dubspot!

Discussion in 'Education' started by euxyh103, Dec 16, 2013.

1. euxyh103

euxyh103 Newbie

Hi all,
    I'm moving to NYC this week (!) for my Dubspot experience.
    I've learned a lot from AudioZ site and this forum, but thought it will be better to get hands on from the pros while living in New York for few months!

I'm taking the entire program for Music Theory/Ableton Live certificate (although I'm working with Cubase...)/Mixing and Mastering/Sound Design/DJing (Course finals: Play a set at one of New York's top clubs! :break:

I hope everything will go well and I'll learn new things and techniques. I'll try and keep you updated with how's everything!

Wish me luck...
    :thumbsup:

3. thisis theend

thisis theend Member

Yeah, good luck man and have fun. NYC is a great place :boombox:

4. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

NYC is great but are you sure you want to pay that much money? I'm sure you'll get a lot of helpful tips and advice but in my opinion they simply rape you on tuition. Anyway I wish you all the best of luck in your musical journey. It would be awesome of you if you would share some of the stuff you're learning with other members here that could never afford such a luxury. And I'd send you 48 hour Uploaded.net coupons every so often as a thank you.

5. dreaded

dreaded Newbie

I just about passed out when I saw those prices!

6. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

So what were you all saying about professional tutoring? :rofl:

Yeah they're straight up insane. :wow: That shit better come with a hot chick and a new computer. :rofl:

7. pilz971

pilz971 Kapellmeister

Hope you have a ball Bro! :dancing:

Lucky git! :bleh:

I truly hope you get not just everything you want, but also everything you NEED out of your experience. :wink:

8. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

No, these people have some balls to charge that much. :snuffy:

9. vibes

vibes Newbie

I'm gonna do pointblank soon........sometime early next year....online though...doing their ableton live certificate....can't afford 11K ...lol :)

10. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

Awesome! Have fun and learn tons!

11. euxyh103

euxyh103 Newbie

Thanks all!

I was thinking first about SAE in L.A. or NY. they want 20K(!) for their program.
    Was at Dubspot open house few months ago, looks great.

12. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

to be honest its really high, but on the hand they got some fresh new equip.

but on the hand, its freaking insane and i think teaching yourself the whole stuff makes more fun.
    SAE has similar price around the globe - ive checked 2 years ago, but after seeing that prices and what i could learn there and what i could be later - i decided its better to keep sound design, production as hobby only and graduate in something fundamental.

13. New Model No.15

New Model No.15 Newbie

holy shit! is 11K for real? i mean what does a dubspot "diploma" mean anyway? its hilarious.

smart though.. its very similar to the gold rush or bitcoin mining! why try to make money form the end goal when you can sell equipment to the masses trying like hell instead? much more profitable and predictable *yes*

you cant count on making money OR success from music :sad:, what you CAN count on is a human beings greed to get their own slice of the pie *yes*
    [/RANT]

14. euxyh103

euxyh103 Newbie

Here's a quote from sae:

The cost of the program is $21,512, but that includes the Apple Laptop Package (details attached).

15. dokx1

dokx1 Ultrasonic

Exactly my thoughts. In the end most of the people who take that courses do not know much more than I do, after a couple of years of self studying books, tutorials, forums and Youtube.

I'd rather study audio engineering on a regular university (which is completely free where I live) than producing some tech house beats on fancy equipment. :rofl:

16. davea

davea Platinum Record

It's an experience to live. Timothy have the chance to make it. Go man. Take evey little thing you can get. Not only the tuto but everything.
    You can meet cool folks there, stay in touch with them, begin workin' with them or so … Visit NY maybe make a 'lil tour to Boston @ Berkley school of music and see how things goes with musicians. Go into clubs …

I don't know if you are a kid or a man ;-) But who cares, go !

After said that, be sure to don't fool yourself. Work hard. This chance is quite rare theses days.

I wish you all the best, and let us know, for sure :)

Cheers

17. euxyh103

euxyh103 Newbie

Thanks davea!
    Will do.

Let you know in the end if it was fun, good, bad, useful, useless or whatever. Stay tuned!

18. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

There's a quote in Europe: "It's not stupid who charges the price, it's stupid who pays it." :rofl: Whateva', I don't judge anybody, I just remembered about this quote. :mates:

19. New Model No.15

New Model No.15 Newbie

Best of luck timothy! hope you kill it and nice for sticking with cubase! (it stoo easy to find someone to teach you ableton these days)
    didnt mean to sound overly negative, please give us an review of the course when your done! peace

20. Adrios

Adrios Newbie

One of my friends studied at Dubspot for three months. The program was the same with yours. He's still an amateur even if he learned lots of techniques.
    It takes time to master on music production.
    No school, no course can make you expert but contribute to your path. Make your own practices and just have fun at learning new things @ Dubspot.

YouTube Tutorials are the best stuff these days. I studied 2 years Sound Engineering&Music Production, learned nothing. Learned by own.

21. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

Nice Good Luck to you and success be careful on the Streets of NYC :grooves: