Going offline forever - advice?

Discussion in 'PC' started by Don Emerson, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Don Emerson

Don Emerson Noisemaker

I'm planning on going completely offline with my music PC. As many people here have experience with going offline, I hope they will share some tips.

I'm on a Windows 10, 1809 (x64)

Useful software/tips to install?
    Anything in Windows that makes sense to disable (other than AV)?
    Other advice for maintaining an offline PC?

3. PartyShit

PartyShit Producer

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

op you are funny...
    :mad::lmao:
    its same like online without the huge amount of online shizzle
    ---
    fck updates
    fck at least 60% of services
    install a lite win os

check pc sub...there are win7 win10 threads check the services to disable..

6. Gyro Gearloose

when you not want to connect to ohter puters much more can be disabled...all remote..all bla...check win7 thread

7. Gyro Gearloose

first put windows in lowest security mode...no security pop ups anymore--
    i bet there ppl with highest windows security mode and workin with that pc :hillbilly::hahaha:

8. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

These suggestions are in order of increasing paranoia.

So right, first off kill off all your networking in Windows. For some this might be good enough.

Then, go to your machine's BIOS and disable any onboard networking devices, i.e. Wifi and Ethernet. If you've got Wifi/WLAN sticks or Ethernet cards then obviously remove all of these.

Then you might set up a BIOS password so nobody can turn any non-removable things on.

Always check the stuff for malware even if they come from a legit source. Preferably by two different pieces of software.

If you don't use USB, you can disable that in the BIOS and only turn it on when you need to update offline. Additional USB security can by had by setting up a virtual machine, use USB passthrough. Copy your updates to the VM, rescan etc. etc.

Then (and yes, I've seen people do this, but they were mainly netsec pros or paranoids) epoxy any optional ports so nobody can "accidentally" connect the machine anywhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

to add to @phumb-reh's advice, make sure you turn the power supply off as well to make sure there aren't any electrons from the outside invading ur pc as well...

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Bandit

Bandit Producer

My studio computer has been 'offline' for many years. I update Windows 2-3 times a year by shortly plugin it in. On Win 10 1909 x64, since a few weeks, runs like a charm.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Just a thought but for those who wish to use their studio computer with the net. I suggest Spybot's Anti Beacon. Eset's Firewall Security, Then go to Firefox (If that is your browser of choice) type in the browser :-

About:Config (accept the risks and continue)

in the search bar that opens, type the word telemetry and enter.

any lines that show the word 'true' on them, double click and they will turn to false. (DON'T alter anything else)

This will stop your browser dialling home!

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. evolasme

evolasme Producer

My PC is "offline" internet blocked from my router but it does live in my network, i use my mac to get updates as needed and just copy all that from the mac to the pc everything cheaked in the mac for nastiness so no firewalls /anti virus etc needed running on the pc all internet related stuff in win 10 is turned off or disabled or removed

13. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Best tip for staying offline

14. Graf

Graf Platinum Record

dual boot is working nicely here. i went with linux mint for front side and a builders install W10 (fluffless) for my music stuff. think of it as a great big sandboxie and microsoft has never seen the internet. theres lots on youtube how to do it, and was pretty easy even for a simpleton like me. its getting more popular so you dont need to be a linux expert anymore

so right now im here on linux, when i want to work on music i reboot to windows. i unplug the wire myself but you can set it up disabled as well

15. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

This is especially useful. It saves you a great deal of the time disabling services and stuff, although not all. Disable everything you don't use, not only network.

That's a nice balance.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

If you want to be offline with your music PC why bother with all of the above? If I were in your position I would install a build like Oprekin's Win10Pro_1909.476v3_LitePlus. As its name states, this build is extremely lite on sys resources, all the additional Microfuck bloatware has been removed, it is per se an off line build, and he updates it. I am a user of this build, have suggested it to several members here and they are super happy with its performance. If you can't find it, let me know and I will send you a copy.

Edit: I noticed you also asked for advice as to maintaining an off line PC. Just make sure you have the latest drivers, Microfuck Visual C, and .NET Framework. With those you are going to be fine. Remember, if ain't broke, don't fix it.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

I forgot to add a VERY important programme I use called Shadow Defender. I guess you would call it a sandbox for windows!

To use, set up computer how you want, then when you switch off, it will start up exactly the same as the previous start up.

It is a legitimate programme so I should be OK putting a link here:- https://www.shadowdefender.com/

I can advise how to set it up and give a working key (Not in here of course) if anyone is interested.

18. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

Some of my work machines are ALWAYS offline... (granted I am OSX), and I actually have a mechanical on/off switch for the ethernet access to it..... the clock had drifted quite a bit off until i just had to clone and install a new ssd for updating OSX and needed to set up a few things online....

but yeah, in absence of cloud services and whatnot, i like to keep my work machines offline, as don't need them online, have a laptop next to me for whatever I need in that regard, and all good...