Going Legit - questions about Cubase 7

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by kfirpr, Nov 20, 2013.

1. kfirpr

kfirpr Newbie

Hi Guys
    I want to purchased Cubase 7 and in an ongoing process buy all of my plugins (some of them which I already bought)
    My main concern is if everything should run smoothly with R2R kontakt 5 and couple of plugins like Zebra and Ozone until I will have the $$ ??

3. Gulliver

Gulliver Member

Should be fine, since all your mentioned plug-ins use a different protection method than Cubase.

Respect to you for going legit, I am in the process of doing the same :mates:
    Already purchased my DAW and most of my mixing plug-ins.

4. chippy33

chippy33 Kapellmeister

I run a fully legit Cubase 7 setup. Kontakt, waves etc all work beautifully. Am also slowly in the process of buying the plugins I use. Have fun.

5. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

All work fine in Cubase 7 as well as Nuendo 6 :wink:

6. kfirpr

kfirpr Newbie

Thanks guys :wink:
    another technical questions, Will I need to re-install kontakt 5 and plugins or just direct the DAW to the vst folder?
    will project files from Cubase 5 will work as well?

7. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

Re-direct and projects from 5 will work.​

8. teknomix

teknomix Kapellmeister

Hi, simply tell to Cubase the folder where you have all VST plugins (dll's) installed.

good luck.

9. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

fyi, Cubase needs less CPU power for the VST related things because they are/can be preprocessed by the added ASIO Guard system (introduced in Cubase 7 * series)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFT8NMOj9JU

really cool :)

10. dokx1

dokx1 Ultrasonic

Nice to see if so has the financial background at least to go legit wiht the 'trial stuff'

I'd love to do that too one day, unfortunatly concerning Cubase: dongle = no deal for me. :sad:

11. drakem20

drakem20 Member

OUCH. Not so!!
    ASIO GUARD actually tends to clock down the CPU. When you use some advanced Libraries like AGT or AGG by Ample Sounds (requiers a LOT of of latency) is PITA
    Switch it off and invest in a RME card. Best and fastest drivers on Earth at the moment. :wink:

12. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

Yes buying your DAW is the only way to go the reason is you have tech support and stability if some one is serious about Music production you need your DAW to be stable i Have been using Cubase for Years and i am using Cubase 5 with Mac and every thing for me with all plugins Work great i am going to Cubase 7 to soon

all my projects are Kontakt 4 and 5 and battery 4 with no problems :wink:

13. Cordelay

Cordelay Ultrasonic

Bought Live 9 Suite last month and sooo glad I did it. Making the investment made want to really learn the program... I was sticking to Cubase 5 (legit 4) and learned PT in the process, but I found myself loving Live's live posibilities as a performer, aside the DAW possibilities, of course.

14. digrev

digrev Noisemaker

ableton plus Cubase or any other daw = u need nothing else!

15. allshallfade

allshallfade Newbie

Good on you for going legit! :wink: I'm a Cubase 7 guy as well- all of the DAWs definitely have something to offer, but expression maps alone have made Cubase invaluable to me for orchestral usage.

The only thing to watch out for is if you use the 'legit' version of Kontakt, you can have some trouble using... less legit libraries. It doesn't apply the other way around (legally bought libraries work fine in an "acquired" version of kontakt). So either make sure you buy all of your libraries before buying kontakt, or buy kontakt for the support and legal fallback, but keep using the other version of kontakt (if you still intend to try before buying or save to buy the rest of your libraries).

Sorta tricky to explain! I use the second option- haven't had a problem yet.

16. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

IZ LEGIT BRUH!!!

props to you...I'm thinking of slowly going legit as well once I manage to actually come out of my 0 dollars after taxes drought...hopefully one day I can find another job that actually blows me instead...

but I haven't visited AudioZ in a long while so :wink:

17. kfirpr

kfirpr Newbie

Hi Guys
    Bought it yesterday and it works flawlessly. The fact that I don't have to use jbridge anymore is worth this alone! plus everything loads much faster.
    So what do you think about this asio guard? I see it checked at my settings

allshallfade
    I also use Cubase with orchestral libraries, how do you use this expression maps? whats the difference on just drawing the keyswitch in the midi editor?

18. allshallfade

allshallfade Newbie

Asio guard is ok I guess, not really as huge a deal as some would claim. All I know is that it most likely doesn't apply to Kontakt, which is all I really care about to be honest! It's fine to leave it enabled, just remember that it is in case something does go wonky- it's just another thing that you might have to troubleshoot and turn off at times.

Check out some of the videos on expression maps both within Cubase and on youtube- they'll explain how to use it better than I ever could.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6njWjRIlzcE

The above is just an overview on what Expression maps are, not how to create your own.

That said, it's more for creating your own keyswitches than anything else, and allowing Cubase to keep track of them easily (meaning you can play back at any moment of a project, and it will keep track of what keyswitch should be playing, instead of in the past where you would often have the wrong articulations playing if you started playback at the wrong spot).

It's also in a separate controller lane with everything named. If you only work with one or two instruments, sure it's easy to keep track of the fact that for Library A, C-1 is Legato, D-1 is Staccato, and for Library B C-1 is Legato and D-1 is Tremolo, etc. But when you have a full orchestral template loaded with 8+ different libraries, it's much more intuitive to have a lane with the articulations themselves named.

I use expression maps for libraries like Berlin Woodwinds and LASS - even though you can customize the keyswitches within Kontakt, it's nice to have an indicator of everything right within my DAW. All I have to do is glance at the expression maps panel (to left of the track name) while in mid recording if I forget which keyswitch is on what note, instead of having to keep Kontakt open at all times. On top of that, it allows you to basically transform keyswitches for libraries like Embertone Friedlander violin (they don't allow you to change the keyswitch keys within the patch for some reason) to whatever keys you use on your midi controller, meaning you don't have to have 8 different profiles on your midi keyboard for a ton of different keyswitches as many did in the past.

On top of all of that, if you use Cubase's built in score editor (I don't very often, but it can be ok for printing out a very very rough draft of sheet music if a musician needs it early for some reason), you can assign expression map keyswitches to articulations in the score (a dot for your staccato keyswitch, a ">" for accent, etc.).

Like I said, a real game changer for orchestral stuff if you work in that field.

19. kfirpr

kfirpr Newbie

Thank you for the explenation about expression maps, i will implement this in my template soon!

20. kfirpr

kfirpr Newbie

allshallfade
    Just quick question, Do you use Vienna ensemble pro 5? :thumbsup:

21. allshallfade

allshallfade Newbie

Just answered your pm, sorry. Work has been insane lately!