Going from Win7 to Win10, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'FL Studio' started by not sure, Jan 7, 2016.

1. lerkjurk

lerkjurk Platinum Record

TYVM, i do not want to sound greedy but we can pls have hash so i know i get what you expect to get pls?

2. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Every OS is the best, if it works best for one person. There simply is not one best OS for any purpose. I know OSX, Linux .., Win 7-8-9(10). Properly set up, each works fine. I see no need to switch OS if one is perfectly fine with the one he/she uses. The last quantum of speed is not worth it to change either.
    Anyway, if you want to know evry OS thoroughly enough to set it up perfectly, you won't have time enough to use it for making music :). So what, let's make music, not OS testing...Have a nice sunday :wink:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. not sure

not sure Ultrasonic

There's always one guy like;
    this discussion is pointless, go make music.

4. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

It's very stupid of me to not provide you with a hash, yes! :facepalm: Thank you for pointing it out!

Download is here: https://audiosex.pro/threads/going-from-win7-to-win10-is-it-worth-it.22724/page-3#post-166305

*HASH* Windows7SP1Lite.iso
    CRC32: 471EC257
    CRC64: 30070D830FA2E5B7
    SHA1: 3D1065F3F0F768EC7F765D207FCB5C3C6FD4BCE5
    SHA256: 8F5A3AB4223036DC5E5FD70AA25504DEB22934D5B0E71E6DF2635E27D21EF351
    MD5: EE93BA8344AA1128010B6A1AB3522DD6

So now you can check the ISO file you downloaded with a hash of your choice. If the number here matches the number you get on your computer your download is OK. I should have put it in the archive, forgetful me. I've been quite busy lately and a bit tired, so please forgive me for this stupid mistake.

I thought this version was made by "Nil" but I checked the size and it doesn't match. Where did I get this best version... A couple of months ago I downloaded several Windows 7 x64 lite versions and after some days of testing I distinctly remember thinking "this one made by Nil seems to be the best and it's the smallest one". Now I'm not sure who deserves the credit for this version. Version made by Mr. Nil is still available on torrent sites and it's also great, so you can download that one if you like. There is not much info about it either, though, just a Windows 7 lite *.INI report. it's like a log file of the changes that's been applied and it's not that easy to figure out what's been cut out and what's not.

Cheers! :mates:

p.s. I kinda agree with what you said, twoheart. :mates: Or at least I completely understand what you mean. I absolutely hate it when I have to deal with some OS related problems while working with audio! That's why I try to provide myself, my clients, and you, with an OS that is a pleasure to work with and gives you no headache so you can make music, not deal with the problems. And that is my biggest problem with W10 and all MS default installations of Windows since Windows 95. :sad: I don't like doing this, either, but someone has to do it. :wink:

5. Eduardo Perez Rios

Eduardo Perez Rios Noisemaker

not worth it windows 7 is best!

6. Ankit

Ankit Guest

If all of your plugins and drivers supports windows 10, then sure it is worth it but you will have to tweak it for efficiency.

7. Spacely

Spacely Producer

Anybody have a good link I could get for Win Ice? if so please PM me thanks in advance.

8. NYCGRIFF

NYCGRIFF Audiosexual

You hit the nail squarely on its head, my friend! For me, that's the end of this saga.

9. TranceDarker

TranceDarker Member

If people share their opinion about Win 10 , please share how VSTs and VSTi work too .

If Daw works good on Win10 , it does not mean VST and VSTi work perfect.

There are a lot of old skool people here who still works with old VSTs .

Thanks

10. lerkjurk

lerkjurk Platinum Record

TYVM my friend, i appreciate your time very much, and sorry to make extra work for you. With OS i try to always check this to make sure some middlemen did not tamper. Most i try to use MS hash and start fresh, but time is not infinite.

Yes i try not to use torrent anymore and any link i find of NIL images, hash does not match. Who know what have changed.

Since you say you try many lite versions i must ask, have you ever try any of the LiTE8 versions? I see they have many on their site, i have dl and will try soon after i try yours. Sadly they do not provide hash, but they have infos on site of what have been removed.

(My dl match yours hash now i feel more comfort+safe)

Also, for LTSB who was mentioned in this thread, from my reading and testing there is still telemetry inside this edition, it is almost same as other editions. We must wait for microsoft to fix this like they say they will in future. Funny also is Embedded version is same as LTSB now, only some registry keys are different.

11. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

@lerkjurk For my tests I chose this Windows 8.1 lite version: Windows 8.1_Pro_update 1_ x64 lite en_us.iso

You can still find it on kat dot cr torrent site. Since there is no "nlite" program that I know of for making W8 lite versions as there is for XP and W7, people are unable to make W8 lite versions easily. That's why there aren't so many W8 lite versions around. Yet. I'm sure someone will make an nlite-like program for making W8 lite at some point. :winker:

12. lerkjurk

lerkjurk Platinum Record

@SineWave Oh no, i think maybe you have not heard of this, the group is called LiTE8, they have some win8 lites but also 7 and 10.

Also: For those interested, check out Simplix Pack Update. It have all update after SP1 in single 600mb file without windows 10 or telemetry updates :like:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. Ankit

Ankit Guest

Any links??

14. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

STOP "tweaking" (aka messing up) with the OS or using "lite" versions. Everything is fine until a DAW upgrade requests a certain component/service which is disabled or uninstalled then the sh!t hits the fan and you come back on forum asking for fixes. Few weeks ago a fella disabled Aero layer then was nervous about Cubase not starting up or something like that. But if you still want to tweak your OS here's a hint: close all apps and keep only your DAW open. Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  15. lerkjurk

lerkjurk Platinum Record

Cubendo needing aero :deep_facepalm:

16. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Hello to the free community. To anyone wishing to avoid all the new nasty big brother craze by MS, Win 7 is the only current OS to choose or at worse if you have upgraded, Win 8.1. There are just too many reasons to mention why Win10 is a no-no and the web is full of articles about it so i guess there is no need to elaborate on what is common knowledge by now :) . Here is the ultimate -to my knowledge- guide for a free from the nasty updates Win7 and Win 8.1, be sure to read carefully and apply the changes as instructed :
    http://techne.alaya.net/?p=12499
    Cheers !!

17. lerkjurk

lerkjurk Platinum Record

Just google lite8 os, they facebook should be top result.
    Welcome to the community!

18. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Taskforce's link and some comments there reminded me that you should be aware of Windows 10 being only free for a year. Afterwards there will be some kind of a subscription fee. Hook them up and then make them pay scheme... same as cable, ISP, mobile operators that offer you their services for free first few months. That scheme makes far more money in the long run even if it was just like $24.95 per month. Multiple that with millions, if not billions of users... :wink: They're not stupid.

I almost forgot, thank you lerkjurk for the info on Windows 8 lite! There is a new nLite version called NTLite that supports Win7,8, and 10 here: https://www.ntlite.com/ They probably use that. :wink:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  19. lerkjurk

lerkjurk Platinum Record

From what i read aroudn internet NTLite is nice but many bugs and when you remove some stuff it leave many files. They dont want to pay until this is fix, and look like dev does not fix until ppl buy? :D

Ppl say Winreducer is better. This one is totally free unlike ntlite which have disable many removal until pay. Then other ppl say the best way is to use the offical dism tool by ms to remove components.

Oh i forgot other option, Win ToolKit. Also freeware.

20. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Damn I'm getting old and senile. I should stick to making tunes. :rofl:

Thank you *so much* for the info lerkjurk! It's very easy to believe what you said about NTLite since it took them many years to make a proper version of nLite for Windows XP. Like 5 years or something, probably more.

I'm definitely interested in trying this official dism tool [MS made a tool for Windows components removal?! It's hard to believe that!] or Winreducer, or Win Toolkit. I'm going to check them out. :wink:

It makes me so happy to know there are other options. As soon as I saw this NTLite webpage I thought "how many years it's going to take them for this NTLite to work properly?" :rofl:

Great work! :mates: