'Godfather of House Music' Frankie Knuckles Dead at 59

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by vsan, Apr 1, 2014.

1. vsan

vsan Member

Chicago House Music Legend Frankie Knuckles Dead at 59

[​IMG]

"The Godfather of House Music", Frankie Knuckles Dead At 59. It is being reported that Knuckles passed away of complications related to Type II Diabetes.

Knuckles was born in the Bronx in 1955, and became a disco DJ in the early 1970s, spinning with childhood friend and garage pioneer Larry Levan at the Continental Baths. In 1977, the Warehouse nightclub opened in Chicago, and Knuckles moved to the city to become its premier DJ.
    As legend has it, the music Knuckles would spin at "The Warehouse" became extremely popular among his regular clubgoers, who would then go to record stores to request "house" music—music spun at "The Warehouse."

What Knuckles would spin evolved into its own genre, as producers used drum machines to produce less expensive version of popular dance styles. Knuckles would also begin to do his own edits, remaking disco tracks to make them work better for his dance floor.

The Warehouse became the crucible of a genre that would conquer the world and can still be heard on radio stations to this day. In 1983, Knuckles moved from The Warehouse to his own club, the Power Plant.

Knuckles also became a producer, recording iconic versions of Jamie Principle's "Your Love," "Baby Wants To Ride," and "Cold World." Other singles included 1991's elegaic teardrop anthem "The Whistle Song":

Knuckles was, however, primarily known for his skills as a DJ. He had tour dates coming up in April, and had just DJd at the UK's Ministry of Sound club on Saturday evening.

In 2004, the City of Chicago renamed a stretch of Jefferson Street near the site of the old Warehouse "The Godfather of House Music" Frankie Knuckles Way.

[​IMG]

Rest in Peace dear Godfather. Big Respect. :bow:

3. Xtra8

Xtra8 Member

Sad devastating news!! The first hour I was reading everything that I could find about this news and listening to Frankie's music and what happened after an hour of browsing and listening I found myself dancing to music and playing on keyboard along the recordings! That's the power of love that Frankie's music do!!!

4. remix

remix Platinum Record

Very sad...he was a true pioneer.

5. PumasNFatLaces

PumasNFatLaces Ultrasonic

Momma always said, "When you get a telephone call at 2 o'clock in the morning it's usually bad news coming. I got that call this morning on this legend Godfather of House Music. 59 is young and Diabetes is no joke. I gotta get tested and to the brethren here on this board, take care of yourselves and get tested. I wanna see and hear from all, Music is our salvation. Peace and Love.

6. chd

chd Newbie

BIG +1

damn, im shocked...house has lost its father...Derick May and Todd Terry hope you guys are healthy! :(

7. supersharpshooter

supersharpshooter Member

Sad to lose an influential producer.

Your Love & Baby Wants a Ride were actually Jamie Principle tracks initially though.

8. PumasNFatLaces

PumasNFatLaces Ultrasonic

You right on that, Frankie was more responsible for playing alot of tracks that other DJs thought wouldn't sit well on the dancefloor. So he was a great selector. Ron Hardy Larry Levan also fits in that category. Often imitated but never duplicated in that sense, I guess. I still got cassettes of early Frankie mixes from 82-84 from the radio station in Chicago. Priceless mixing skills and song selections.