Glide guitar with VST

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by Zenarcist, Jun 5, 2023.

1. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Anybody have any ideas about creating a convincing glide guitar modulation without buying a Jazzmaster/Jaguar?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
  3. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

I don't know what you've tried so far or what exactly you're trying to accomplish, but I'd start with something like ISW Telos and automate the pitch lane. If the Kontakt pitch shifter sounds unsatisfactory, I'd try something like Kuassa Whammo and automate that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Isn't glide guitar playing essentially grabbing all the time the whammy bar? That's a tough nut to crack

5. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Shreddage guitars should work. I'm not entirely up on the whole glide guitar thing but I used to do effects like that (sort of a Steve Vai thing) by setting the pitch bend from a whole step up to 4 or 5 whole steps, or even an octave. That way you get a more controllable wobble in the middle, plus you can do better dives and stuff.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. D____R

D____R Kapellmeister

How good would it be if there was a plugin that was just a button you could press to add a guitar tremolo arm effect to audio. Set the effect amount and just press it in and out to add that lovely MBV shoegazey wobble without any complicated extras or drawing automation or anything like that.

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

Logic stock Tremelo plugin is easy as it gets. https://music.tutsplus.com/quick-tip-creating-a-radiohead-like-tremolo-piano--audio-5359t

8. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

That's it, I've got the tone but not the modulation.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

That's why whammy bars are almost impossible to emulate. Besides pitch-shift/vibrato they also introduce some wah-like effect.
    As far as I know, as someone said before, I think Whammo is literally the first plugin that tries to emulate the whammy bar.

But it depends of the particular sound you wanna achieve. I'll have to listen to some classic examples because the ones I've in mind are metal solos. And oh boy do they sound glorious. It's like the guitar is singing. Hell yeah

10. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Never really thought about it but yeah, a real whammy changes the relationship between the strings and the pickup, at least on a big drop. A subtle thing but it would be interesting to really try to emulate.

11. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

As you well say it effectively changes the physics of the guitar. So there's no way to sample that. Too much range of effects.
    The best we can do is add pitch-shift with a bit of wah. That's what Whammo does.

Anyways, if @Zenarcist can do the pitch shifting what I would try is a bit of wah automated to be kind of synced to the pitch-shifting.
    I say this because I'm pretty sure he plays guitar so he's not using an VSTi and perhaps neither a pitch-shifter. The least processing the better.

Kuassa also has a very good wah effect, WF67700 whatever. Gonna google a bit.

Kuassa Whammo:

Kuassa WF3607 (careful because this demo is "too" good. the guitar parts chosen, and other effects all together are incredibly good sounding. Now you can watch and drool warned ;) ):