GIK 242 Acoustic Panels

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Vincent Price, Nov 11, 2022.

1. Vincent Price

Vincent Price Kapellmeister

Hello

Hope everyone is doing well

I am looking at buying a pack of 3 GIK Acoustics 242 panels (the 600mm x 1200mm)

I have light blue walls in my studio and wanting people opinions of what colour to buy in terms of panels

I always have difficulty with what colour to buy, ie phones etc

So I thought I’d ask for your opinions

I don’t want anything too light that I don’t really notice it etc, but mind you…I do plan to put led strips on the back of them so that could make them stand out

Attached Files:

3. Fowly

Fowly Platinum Record

Hard to tell when we see so little of your room, but I would pick their off-white/cream fabric, espcially if colored lighting is an option. If you want them to stand out a little more, maybe their coffee shade could be great. Based on what I see, I'll absolutely go for a cozy aesthetic.

4. Vincent Price

Yeah I am going for a cosy look, this is what I have so far.

Attached Files:

5. dondada

dondada Rock Star

i always like it bright, white or earthy tones and do the mood with light

but i must say you probably fare better with
    Primacoustic
    like London 8 or a custom set

6. Vincent Price

I am trying to keep it under £300

7. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

I'd go for something light (dark stuff can give the impression that it's a smaller room), but not too light, mostly because of dust and stuff that can do a number on light colours overtime, specially on "unsealed" places like most home studios. Maybe Baltic? (242 colour)

Have you considered DIY?

Also, maybe you should start by moving things around first. I don't want to turn this into an acoustics discussion since that's a bit offtopic, but you're right next to a big mirror, which is bad on itself but it's also sitting right where you'd usually want some kind of absorber to be.

8. Vincent Price

There isn’t a lot I can do about that mirror, it’s either keep the desk where it is or have the
    Desk against the wall opposite the mirror so the speakers bounce off the mirror…

9. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

It's not that bad, you can always build/buy some free standing panels later on, or just cover the mirror with something that isn't fixed to it, like a heavy courtain or something. It's just that in general it looks like a bad position, the mirror, that what seems to be a concave solid wall behind the speakers.

Who knows? Maybe that's actually the best spot in the room acoustically, irregular rooms are weird. But if you're going to spend money on fancy panels and want to keep the budget below £300 (so not a lot of panels), might as well do everything at hand to make them work as good as they can.

But anyway, this is about colour so i'll just shut up now.

10. dondada

dondada Rock Star

it is

11. Vincent Price

Right…this is the colour of the walls. It is like a light blue colour. I’m thinking either brilliant white or off white, what you think. I’m worried that if I go brilliant white it’ll be too white and will probably get dirty a lot quicker than other colours

I was looking at the Austen colour but I think that it’ll be too dark (I know guy Michael more has that colour) but he has white walls. And as you said darker will make the room look smaller.

so I thinking maybe the ‘off-white’ colour…what you think?

Attached Files:

12. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

Best Answer
    I think it's the most discrete option, in the way that you won't notice the panel as much as the led surrounding it (which might be what you're after), using other colours can make both complement each other. If you use other colours you probably want to match them with something that's already on the room and will be there for a while like the carpet or the forniture, here's what off-white and other options would look like. I'd go for the Tan or Red one, it works better with the desk and the little table thingy, it even works well with the little lampy bois so you can keep those and it won't look "off". The only downside is that Tan doesn't like anything resembling blue as far as led goes.

Also, if you look closely, you may see that i had way too much free time today.

edit: i just put the panels where they were easy to see and didn't stray too far from the pics you posted, no idea where you'll actually put them

edit2: oh and yeah, Tan and Red would probably need a curtain change, but that should be cheap and easy enough to do.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List

Attached Files:

13. Vincent Price

Omg you’ve seriously gone and done a 3D render of my room…I am totally stunned…thank you so much. You’re amazing! I really appreciate what you’ve done…it’s helped me out loads.

14. Vincent Price

Hello,

As mentioned in the private message, here is the photo of the room as it is currently. The wall wall to wall is just under 10ft or 3 metres, with each panel being 60x60cm. Not sure if I am wanting to just have two, or go with three panels.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List

Attached Files: