Gibson guitars files for bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Herr Durr, May 1, 2018.

1. clem

clem Member

The KRKs were suffering from a high repair rate lately mostly from black gunk breaking down and becoming conductive on the circuit board.

Also let's not forget that Gibson also owns Tascam.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. Riot7

Riot7 Platinum Record

This is a very valid point.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. PopstarKiller

PopstarKiller Platinum Record

#LateStageCapitalism

4. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

There is a responsible way of grabbing those trees for the wood they need, and that is to have a plant new for old policy!

5. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

In general.
    Yea you can, though its a hit and miss with a non reliable QC involved at that price.

6. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Gibson accounted for more than 30 million dollars of sales last year for the company I work for. We don’t fix the guitars Gibson gives us, we simply make them demos. The QC among Gibson USA, Montana and the CS are all different. Gibson USA is the real problem..... Let me take that back, Henry is the real problem.

7. If they are "broken" then I guess that they demonstrate and remind a potential buyer that Gibson isn't what it used to be. If someone were to play a demo that has blemishes, various other irregularities or doesn't sound great that great for whatever reason, it must be impactful on guitars walking out of the store with happy customers willing to shell out thousands of hard earned dollars. I am confused...

All Gibson electric, acoustic guitars and those awesome mandolines are made by in the USA by people who seemingly love and take pride in what they do, so how does Gibson USA screw it all up?

8. That goes without saying.

9. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

I agree that it should, but does it always?

• List
  10. In a perfect world.

• List
  11. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Gibson USA is a division of Gibson & has its own factory. As do the Custom Shop & Montana divisions.

12. Yes, and so you said, but in regard to the instruments fabricated and overall responsibility to their current and past quality issues, could you qualify as to the division of power and labor of the company? What are their responsibilities?

13. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Unfortunately I dont know anything about how Gibson runs each factory on a management or production level. All I know is out of the 3 factories the “USA” division has the most QC problems. We all are rooting for Gibson to get out the muck and they will eventually.