Gibson guitars files for bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Herr Durr, May 1, 2018.

1. PopstarKiller

PopstarKiller Platinum Record

In my experience they are not better than Gibson at all, and don't sound like a Strat if that's what you meant.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  2. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

3. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

you're not in the USA so you would not likely see the inside of a Guitar Center, but I can assure you Fenders still have wide popularity
    at most price points, and Gibson still figures prominently, as well their Epiphone LP line... plenty of hard rockers, metal heads,
    and punks, have played Gibson Les Pauls, even if Gibson ceased all production someone would probably come in and fill that void
    with LP style guitars, and there are many copycats already

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Edi

Edi Member

What goes around comes around, right Gibson? We know what u did to others, it was time to pay...how they say, Karma is a bit*h

5. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

15-20 years ago, you got a good, quality guitar in the 500-1000$ range, now you get a product that has all kinds of problems, detuning, shitty bolts, pots, 3rd grade neck, cheap frets etc and the funny thing is paying about 3k $ doesnt necessarily mean you will get a deluxe problem free product.
    Sobs are trying to save money wherever possible, its not about the art of craftsmanship any more, its about selling Chinese junk as grade A product.

You cant expect to just replace experienced work force for cheap labor that doesnt have much interest in the craft itself.
    Test every guitar personally when buying, these days the amount of money paid doesnt necessarily equal a quality product.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

[​IMG]

7. jefft

jefft Producer

Oh dear, bad news for KRK monitors. Taken from BBC news:

"Under the bankruptcy measures, Gibson will wind down its consumer audio business, whose brands include KRK, Cerwin Vega and Stanton headphones, loudspeakers and turntables."

8. Riot7

Riot7 Platinum Record

In a certain sense I'm happy this happened.

They stopped innovating a long long time ago, stuck to their "iconic" designs even when they were clearly flawed (tuning problems etc.). They turned into this weird conglomerate, acquiring (and ruining) other brands while their main brand relied solely on overpricing, and bullshit "mojo" nostalgia factor.

Of course this is not actually the end for Gibson branded guitars. Even if the company does go full stop belly up someone will acquire the name.

9. Riot7

Riot7 Platinum Record

This is actually not true. People buy Gibson and Fender guitars because they are in a certain sense iconic. Looks and history matters in pop music. I would say "you can't beat the idea of the sound of a...etc."

There are not a lot of companies making great, and in many ways superior, guitars following the basic fender and gibson designs that sound just like Fender or Gibson products. And then there are of course a lot of companies making great guitars that sound quite different.

10. TW

TW Guest

I read it was the Speaker/Headphone part of Phillips, Gibson buyed a few years ago that caused the problems.
    I think it is good that Gibson goes back to their main business - musical Instruments.

*I tested an "new" Ibanez AZ - Super strat - damn this thing sounded more fenderish than my standart mia Strat.

11. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

This is the Fender and Gibson sound ..

12. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

just a little image to ponder for a moment...

ozzy-osbourne-and-zakk-wylde-studio-2001-nz-14.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. LuckySevens

LuckySevens Platinum Record

Their plan is to get back to making quality guitars again... if they asked me 40 years ago, I could've saved them millions of dollars.

14. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

You know what I really think did them in, was Van Halen. Let's think about it. Before Van Halen everyone almost played a Gibson. Yes there were a few strat's around. But the majority were Gibson in some shape or form. Then Van Halen came with his modified strat and the sound and everything went south for Gibson.

Now this is a discussion so I might be wrong but this is what I think happened.

• Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  15. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

Let's not forget tho, the Gibson acoustics used in blues, bluegrass, gospel etc.. and the Jazz models...
    there is some merit to your argument for market share on the "rock" side of things... but they let their whole line down ??
    pathetic.. I hope their most recent douchebag CEO doesn't even get a golden shower for this piss poor performance...
    much less a golden parachute

16. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

And then Slash brought Gibson back into the game with his fake Gibson knock-off :)

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/The_Legend_of_Slashs_Appetite_for_Destruction_Les_Paul

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  17. Riot7

Riot7 Platinum Record

AFAICT Henry Juszkiewicz has been the CEO of Gibson since 1992. He basically bought the company in 1986.

18. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

They also had at least two periods of 'back to basics' under him, when they tried to focus on the quality that made Gibson famous. My Les Paul is 30 years old and it's a lovely bit of kit.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  19. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

none of the bondholders looking at how to go forward seem to want to hand him any more cash to fix what he F'd up either

Gibson has been around for 124 years, it took him 25 to run it into the ground...

500 million in debt.. nobody noticed eh ?

he's scruffy and his delivery is dry.. but this is a pretty good summation

or if you prefer short and sweet, well, not so sweet Glen the Fricker

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2018
  20. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest