GForce Software releases Oberheim OB-X

Discussion in 'Software News' started by aymat, Oct 12, 2023.

1. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

[​IMG]

Oberheim OB-X – Beautifully classic yet resolutely modern

GForce’s Oberheim OB-X is the world’s first officially endorsed emulation of this famous 80s synth. Yet it sounds modern and lends itself superbly to Electronica, EDM, Drum and Bass, Ambient, Rock, Prog Rock, Hip Hop and more. The original synth was used by immense artists and groups such as Japan, Ultravox, BBC Radiophonic Workshop, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Depeche Mode, Queen, Larry Dunn, Youth, Chris Franke, Styx and many more. GForce’s OB-X preserves the sound everybody loves and has been upgraded to offer new sonic possibilities.

An authentic OB-X with vast sound design possibilities

Oberheim OB-X provides an authentic experience but has been enhanced with powerful features designed for the modern setup. GForce’s OB-X features up to 16 voice polyphony, a vintage control for adding subtle analogue imperfections, four programmable Macros, new intro, retrigger, phase and smoothing features for the LFO, new level destination for the LFO, separate PWM1 and 2, discrete levels, discreet tracking, an arpeggiator, a chord mode with scaler, Chorus, Stereo Delay and Reverb effects, and more. Finally, the GForce’s OB-X has been augmented with X-Modifiers, dedicated LFOs and ADSRs for almost all parameters that take OB-X to the next level of sound design.

Create hugely complex, yet musical, sounds with X-Modifier technology

Using our unique X-Modifier technology, the scope of sound modulation possibilities is immense. The intuitive X-LFO and X-ADSR section enables you to work faster without having to set up modulation paths; they’re already set up for you. X-Mods provide you with the ability to create extensive modulations of almost every parameter, allowing you to create hugely complex, yet musical, sounds. So, while the tone and character at the heart of the synth remain authentic to the original, the additional features turn it into a true sonic canvas.

Inspiration At The Speed Of Sound

OB-X, with its fully resizable UI, a powerful new Preset Browser, and over 400 brand new production-ready presets from top-level sound designers, is fully ready for modern production.

Oberheim OB-X features our new, highly flexible preset browser, giving you the power to organise your sounds in a way that suits your workflow. With extensive tagging, sorting and search possibilities, it’s quick and easy to find the presets you want. We’ve included more than 400+ brand new production-ready presets. We’ve enlisted an array of diverse sound designers and artists including Light Bath, GEOsynth, Christian Lafitte, Richard Veenstra and Ramon Kerstens (K/V), Tontario, Stuart Thomas, Zardonic, Drew Schlesinger, Drew Neumann, Noyzlab, Dave Spiers, Tom Wolfe, Graeme Rawson and more. The patches range from resolutely modern to passionately classic with a lot of recreation you might have heard on more than one hit.

Crossgrade Discounts

If you’re a registered GForce Oberheim SEM and/or Oberheim OB-E owner you can cross grade to Oberheim OB-X at a preferential rate. Please log in to your account and add OB-X to your basket to receive the discount.

Key Features
    • An authentic sounding emulation of the Oberheim® OB-X
    • Fully-scalable UI
    • Powerful Preset Browser
    • Over 400 presets
    • Vintage knob for authentic analog imperfections
    • Augmented with vast modulation options via X-Modifiers
    • Chord mode with scales
    • Arpeggiator
    • Chorus, Delay and Reverb effects
    • Four programmable Macros for easy manipulation of sounds
    • Monophonic, polyphonic, legato and unison trigger modes
    • Per-voice-pan for wide stereo sounds
    • Programmable Aftertouch and expanded Velocity controls for extra playability

More info:
    https://www.gforcesoftware.com/products/ob-x/

Last edited: Oct 12, 2023
    • Like Like x 12
    • Interesting Interesting x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. uladzislau

uladzislau Producer

Looks like SonicProjects had sex with Arturia's UI designers and this is what was born

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

I thought I might care... once... but I don't.

5. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

Trying out the demo at the moment... it does have a serious vibe. If you liked their previous Oberheim releases, this one is equally as good.

I own OPX and have used it for years. Its a great emulation but I feel this one edges it out significantly. Even with the limited demo you can hear the difference, it sounds beautiful.

6. def12

def12 Kapellmeister

I really like the Arturia version and will probably skip this. Would be much more interested in an Imposcar 3

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  7. Semarus

Semarus Producer

GForce OB-E is a resident in my production template, and tries to find its way into most of what I do. Definitely looking forward to this.

8. eXACT_Beats_

eXACT_Beats_ Audiosexual

I'm not even a synth-guy, at all—I don't make VaporStep, SynthFlow, CyberGlitch, or whateverwhatever—and I'm excited about demo-ing this. I own Oddity and Minimonsta and they're versatile enough that they find their way into my tracks pretty easily, as spice, or a subtle compliment, and while the OB definitely isn't as versatile, I'm still hyped to hear what they've done sonically with it.
    Honestly? As a musician who often gets held back working ITB, I straight love the way Gforce instruments react in general. :chilling:
    Good stuff. :wink:

9. eXACT_Beats_

eXACT_Beats_ Audiosexual

What I immediately envisioned when I read your comment:

Depressed.jpg

10. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Thanks for the info... On a side note, my computer has been oversaturated with redundant plugins for years. I see nothing special about this plugin, but knowing me I'll probably try it our sister shares it.

11. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Lol
    But really, I would expect to be jumping up and down, I love GForce, I love Oberheim... but this is just too late, I have a billon synth vsts and it just feels like time to stop the madness... :dunno:

12. eXACT_Beats_

eXACT_Beats_ Audiosexual

I feel you—as I mentioned, I'm not really a synth guy, and don't get giddy when I see some unique filters after a few oscillators—but only time will tell if you eventually succumb to the just-one-more-synth syndrome. :winker:

13. dkny

dkny Platinum Record

How many more synths do we need, anyway?

(Answer: Just one... more...)

14. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

This updated modern-ish take on the Oberheim OB-X with macros, good sounding effects, etc, should satisfy anybody if they just gotta have that Oberheim thing. 16 voices is a good thing too.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Clem4

Clem4 Producer

The reverb is good...the oberheim sound is here...but high on CPU...ALso I would like an option to hide the keyboard...(on all their synths)
    :keys: :grooves: :keys:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
  16. BlackHaze1986

BlackHaze1986 Rock Star

I never ever would install any Arturia Stuff which has millions of png files in it, this is not good espacalliy on SSD Drives. I don't get the Hype about their Plugins they use much CPU and are Bad Coded with all this single png files. A Company that big should hire some proper Developers to get rid of that Bullshit. Also this Emulation is the only Official one like all the GForce Oberheim Plugins, because of that you see the Name Oberheim with an Registered Trademark Logo in the Plugin name.

17. BlackHaze1986

BlackHaze1986 Rock Star

Its Version 1.0.0 so i bet they will work on that high cpu usage in an couple of Updates.

Edit: Tested the plugin on my i5 7th Generation and no high CPU usage for me what CPU are you using?

18. Piszpunta

Piszpunta Kapellmeister

Hm... On my 11 year old i5 laptop (which I use for testing) it never exceeds 10% (usually much lower), even when playing polyphonic patches.

19. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

I was an "analog vintage synth plugin" wh*re for years.
    I tried them all, form the most obscure freeware to the high end Diva, ImpOSCar and such.

Now i simply use sample based synths (like Falcon/omnisphere... ) for that type of sounds.
    Because they all run in circle at the end, and buying ANOTHER sim is just an illusion of getting a more "accurate" sound ... whereas there is nothing more accurate than sampling the original.

I've nothing against this one ... not more than others.
    I just found those "limited by design" emulations to be too restrictive.
    And if i want "classic sound", there are "real one" samples.

There are exceptions to this : i don't count "analog like" simulations BUT without limitations of the real thing.
    Like U-He ACE.

I have nothing against "analog emulation", but only against "copying original limitations" for being accurate.
    Like making an old vintage car copy ... but with the same polluting and anaemic engine.

NO i don't need another analog vintage emulation.
    Even if , to be fair, this one added new features, creating new possibilities instead of the usual cheesy sounds.

20. capitan crunch

capitan crunch Producer

a vst collector's must have!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List