Getting the Casio VZ-1 aftertouch to work... MIDI to USB [solved]

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by MokuseiFolf13, Oct 23, 2023.

1. MokuseiFolf13

MokuseiFolf13 Ultrasonic

Hello! To put it simply, I had just received my cheap-o USB-to-MIDI cord from Amazon-- works like a charm with my hand-me-down VZ-1! I had initially purchased it based on the realization that the VZ-1 technically has (I believe?) polyphonic aftertouch, so I'd think it'd go nicely as a secondary keyboard to go along with my two other MIDI keyboards.

While I've not messed with any parameters, I wasn't sure if there was any proprietary/weird aftertouch signals that either my DAW/VST can't interpret, or it had been turned off on the actual synth? The activity light indicators on my cable don't light up when trying to trigger the aftertouch. Even tried some patches in Omnisphere that specifically has aftertouch responses.

I am sort of at a loss on how to tackle this conundrum. Please let me know what can be done to successfully get some jams pumped from this marvelous synth~! Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

3. GluBloB

GluBloB Ultrasonic

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I usually read the manual when there are problems with any synths. There's no way around it. You can't remember everything about every synth.

I would suggest this manual: https://www.manualslib.com/download/358586/Casio-Vz-1.html On page 10, there are parameters in menu 3 for aftertouch you can check. :wink:

edit: if the keyboard has no aftertouch, these are parameters for receiving it, obviously. So it *supports* aftertouch but it doesn't *sport* it. ;)

Very good old keyboards which definitely sport polyphonic aftertouch are all or most of the Ensoniq keyboards, like VFX, ASR, ESQ, SD. It's quite rare to find a keyboard with poly-at even these days. Roli keyboards sport it, but they are on the expensive side. Maybe Akai and/or NI keyboards? My Akai MPD-32 controller sports poly-at, unbelievable. :wink: It's a lovely feature for additional expression.

Cheers!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. MokuseiFolf13

MokuseiFolf13 Ultrasonic

I'll see what I can do, thanks!

6. grounder

grounder Kapellmeister

Google "cheap usb midi cable problems". They are notorious for not passing full range of MIDI parameters, especially gear to PC. And as a side note (no pun intended), their handling SYSEX is even worse.

7. GluBloB

GluBloB Ultrasonic

Take a look for a cheap Roland / Edirol PCR-300/500/800 on Ebay. They have a Aftertouch keyboard.

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

Poly aftertouch is a pretty new concept to hear about, and I also doubt this synth has anything like that because of it's age; like already commented above. If I wanted an inexpensive nice keyboard controller, I would capitalize on why this poly aftertouch is even a concern. It is because of the NI Komplete Kontrol MK3 keyboards.
    People are selling their MK2 keyboards now or trading them in, so they can buy the new NI toy; which does look very nice btw. Somehow we have all been making do with regular old aftertouch and midi for decades, and never needed this before. If I could buy a nice S49 Mk2 for about 200 or 300 bucks, i'd do that and be laughing. Nothing has become wrong with them since NI added this feature; and unless you are an extremely good keyboard player, this probably amounts to almost nothing but hype anyway. It's because they have already run out of good ideas.

9. MokuseiFolf13

MokuseiFolf13 Ultrasonic

So as it turns out, my uncle must've toned down the aftertouch to around -1 or something. Once I cranked that sucker to 99 just as an exaggerated test, not only did MIDI Monitor detect channel pressure/aftertouch messages coming from the synth, but Omnisphere interpreted the messages accordingly and I now have a working vintage synth with aftertouch at my disposal!

Thank you to all here ^^