Getting that groove problem, Drum layers

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by MaXe, Dec 10, 2018.

1. MaXe

MaXe Kapellmeister

Hi guys,
    Aside from adjusting the timing of musical elements in relation to each other which is mostly known among the producers for getting that groove you need to control the envelope and transient of elements.
    Like you can have the same snare sample placed in three different places(Consider a same kick sample with the same condition playing with those snares) and adjust their timing and volume but still not get that Groove. Mainly the problem breaks down to two things:
    1.Volume envelope
    2.The way transient is representing itself in different hits
    Well you might say adjusting a compressor can handle both things mentioned above, well, you are right, but it does it to some extent and it does not give you that fine adjustment.
    Now here comes the problem, most DAWS don't give you that fine adjustment control and even if they do, they don't give you that workflow you need when you are in a creative state. Cause when you are arranging, if you don't feel and adjust the groove, and if it doesn't translate well, it doesn't drive you forward for more improvisation. It is like improvising on a bad groove and finally when you get to a stage you spent lots of time adjust drums you see the improvisation of other instruments you built upon a wrong groove pop out! A mess!
    I tried to automate stuff but the problem is I cannot quantize my automation points to swing!
    In tools like LFO tool you can swing the envelope, but the problem with things like LFO tool is they're kind of cyclic effect happening in certain places in a bar. I want to get same effects with manual automation.
    I think my question is clear enough.
    You can offer me solutions regarding DAW automation or anything related to above question in Studio one and Pro Tools.

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

:woot:

4. MaXe

MaXe Kapellmeister

I guess my question sounds dumb asf for you. You didn't really need to post anything if it seems so anyways.

5. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

No, I just didn't get the question.

6. Foobar

Foobar Producer

I'm not sure if I get the question right, but why not use Volume/Transient Shaper and maybe put some of their parameters on automation?

7. MaXe

MaXe Kapellmeister

How do you quantize your automation nodes to comply with swing amount?

8. lcp

lcp Noisemaker

bounce to audio and use your eyes?:woot:

9. MaXe

MaXe Kapellmeister

I wonder if you spend millions of years on such automations how you can keep track of general picture of the song and mix itself? It kills the workflow badly. I was thinking how I can make my samples so I can adapt them to any BPM after doing such fine adjustments in a specific BPM?

10. lcp

lcp Noisemaker

11. rhauder

rhauder Newbie

does the LFO tool have a trigger option? that way it would start in sync...

12. SmokerNzt

SmokerNzt Rock Star

Maxe you should bounce all the track to audio
    then create a group channel then freeze all the tracks