Getting Started Advice: Beat Making

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by jimmyjohn, Dec 19, 2023.

1. jimmyjohn

jimmyjohn Member

Hey Guys,

I have Ableton Live, Ableton Push 2, Arturia Lab, Omnisphere, Kontakt etc. I feel inspired to start making some complex beats with synths and samples and intuitively I feel I'm heading the right direction with the set up as well as some of the stuff that I've come across listening to lately but I still feel like I'm in unchartered territory. Ideally I wish someone could just take me under their wing and show me the ins and outs beat making and from there I find my own style. For example, one thing that intimidates me is handling pitches/keys and samples... maybe just playing around is the best approach...

Based off this, any recommendations for....

Courses/Youtubers regarding sampling lessons?
    Sample sound packs?
    Helpful Software I might not know about yet

and so on...

Thanks in advance

3. mythimus

mythimus Member

So I don't use Ableton, I'm a pretty dedicated FL user but do you know music theory? If you don't know music theory, Scaler 2 is pretty awesome. PluginBoutique makes it and it was indispensable when I first started.

What type of music are you making? My experience with YouTube was that it was great to motivate me to want to start making music, but keep in mind all those guys are there to make a living. So they're job is to sell you a dream. I wouldn't pay for any courses from anyone you find on YouTube unless you've watched them a while (and i mean months) and you've had time to look around. I got caught up in BWB's (BusyWorksBeats) marketing, and his half-truths (like claiming he's trained over 900,000 producers, and some have went to the industry, and he makes this claim based on his subscriber number, it has nothing to do with reality) - he has the biggest following of all the people who make FL tutorials and literally he only started doing music to cash in on YouTube. First impression you'd think the guy came from the music industry or some related industry but nah, hes just a guy who saw a niche, and gullible people and capitalized. So thats the kind of people that you're gonna come across.

As I was typing that I was thinking of YouTubers I can recommend and look up Alex Rome, he's pretty good and he mostly uses Ableton.

I would hit Library Genesis (just google it if you dont know) and lookup books on Ableton, Music Production, Songwriting and Music Composition. I have an ebook library of around 350 books. A lot of those are these topics.

(MODs: hopefully naming LIbrary G. is cool? if it isn't just let me know and I wont do it again)