Get tired of my own tracks

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Anonymous363, May 4, 2015.

1. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

The reason why this happens is because 'Producing' Music in general is a mix of both technical judgment as well as artistic judgment.

When you make a track, you lose the artistic feeling in favour of technical aspects sometimes and vise versa. This is normal and you just need to realise this. It comes with xperience.

Making music isnt actually hard, but whats hard is the complex feeling of emotions and technical engineering ability coming together to form a solid piece of composition which does
    justice, dignity and provides a depth of honesty to your sound.

You getting bored of your track is a good sign that you want to make beautiful music, and not something generic, overdone or delusional (like 90% of music out there).

So dont worry so much about it...it's all part of the process of being a great artist.

*shout out to cat and saint...*

2. BlasterM

BlasterM Newbie

For me it's more of a problem to do a final mixdown rather than finishing the track itself. Would gladly let some other to take over at that point final note has been struck. There's lots of finished songs, all is missing is final mixdown with it's countless hours of trying to blend tracks together so beautifully.. It's truly a art form.

Proper mixing gear helps, but it takes countless hours to master the art none the less.

And no, I'm not talking about mastering as it only applies album release. That's whole another chapter..

By the way, this is not to discourage to go ahead producing, as reward actually finishing something will certainly pay off.

3. plumcrazy70

plumcrazy70 Newbie

I have a similar problem too. I only compose first ideas but get bored to work out a complete track of it and mixdown. So I have 1000s short musical ideas but seldom a complete track. But I dont get tired of listening of my old tracks. Everytime it's interesting if these tracks yet turn me on or not :)

4. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

Huge amount of good advice in this thread. i wish i had read this when i started out back in the day :)

i'll pitch in a simple "way" you can test out yourself.
    its very simple.

Finnish your track before you get borred with it.

meaning, work as fast as posible.
    less time spend, less time for errors. less time for "thinking" or ussualy we overthink the issues.
    less time for letting weak ideas breathe live in your song.

for this to work best, is to have a Good/clear idea before you start :)

simple does not mean easy.
    simple means cutting away all that is not nessesary.

a down to earth example could posible be something like this

you need to create a bassline
    set a timer for how many minutes you want to spend. lets say 15mins.
    start the clock. play different basslines. go at it. play untill you "hit" sometthing that feels "right/good" Record that and keep it. On to the next instrument or whatever.

by imposing a limit on yourself, you have a tendensy to suddenly get more creative. Using time as a limit, works great, but you can use self imposing lmits on alot of different stages in music making. Its a way of telling your mind/brain to focus on something. or for it(brain) to think along a certan way.

very basic example just to get mypoint across

hope it helps, ask me if anyone want more :P

5. eway

eway Ultrasonic

I think that making a break is a solution, but during the break listen to music you like or try to discover new musician will help a lot.

In fact your brain will assimilate what you will hear from others, then your mind will be able to give you new ideas, to complete what you started, because if you're unhappy with what you composed there must be something missing, something you have expected but without reaching the goal.

The other track is the overall process. Sometimes you get focused on the final result that was in your mind, but due to technical limitations or without the perfect sound library or whathever else, you can't achieve what was expected. Sometimes this can be fixed during the mixing process even if I truely believe that this part should be done by someone else. In fact I really think that help from a musician / mixer engineer is the solution at the end when you get stuck.

6. BlasterM

BlasterM Newbie

Otherwise good, but for some creativity doesn't have timer. Least you want to do is make it seem like a job. Unless it's your job. :wink:

Setting times would work good for post production thou, some barriers how much time you want to spend mixing them wondrous creations.

7. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

blasterM, honestly, i think you hit the bullseye! my personal issue i have for the time beeing is just exactly that. the post production phase :)

8. webhead

webhead Audiosexual

Whenever you struggle or doubt yourself remember why you got into this in the first place. Making music is fun. If you’re struggling you’ve forgotten the fun.
    Sometimes the fun isn’t there. Go do something else. (the source of these words)

9. BlasterM

BlasterM Newbie

Well post production is a biaach :snuffy:

It's the state in which faith is been decided whether or not your track is going to make it.
    Will it sound great or absolute shiaat.

Music can be great but.. 1k is killing it. Ear buds make it sound sharp like knife and with monitor speakers all was heavenly.. What went wrong?

Sound anything like all experienced?

Well, hundred hours of Pensado's Place haven't fixed it for me. :grooves:
    But.. still going strong. Magic is listen what you like and try to reproduce. Only question is how. :wink:

It's also biaach to be too perfectionist.