Get MIDI chord progression of a song

Discussion in 'Software' started by Highdom, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Highdom

Highdom Kapellmeister

I noticed there's lots of websites that can extract chords from any youtube video (like this https://chordify.net/ or https://chordu.com/)

My question is if there's any software or plugin that can do this locally in my computer or in my daw, from an audio file, or a website like the ones i've written above that let you download the .mid file for free

Thanks!

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. smallboy15

smallboy15 Producer

Melodyne Studio

• Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

Have you tried Melodyne?

5. E@rth

E@rth Newbie

in Ableton you can transform the melody, drum or harmony in Midi.

There are other tricks....... Isolate, then transform, split in stems.................., transform!

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  6. Highdom

Highdom Kapellmeister

Yes, but melodyne create a super complex midi...in other word not really useful, because it scans every single notes and not "chords" (2 or more overlapping notes...)

Or you can do with melodyne but i don't know?

• List
  7. modmid

modmid Member

Best Answer
    Zplane deCoda

8. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

I understand you distinguishing between notes and chords, and that you just want the chords, but any software that attempts what you want must do it in two stages. It must first figure out the actual notes (hopefully accurately) and then face the completely separate challenge of trying to label those notes appropriately as chords (and there can be lots of musical ambiguity in that stage). So if you see something showing you only the chords, it just means it's hiding the details of the first stage from you. The Melodyne suggestion is pretty good when you learn to get past the first stage of seeing all the notes.
    Band in a Box does a pretty good job too; it just shows its best guesses at the chords without showing you the notes.
    It can be useful to stick with the idea that there two stages and use one piece of software to generate the full midi and a completely separate piece of software to tackle the second stage of interpretting chords from that midi. There's lots of software that will try just that second stage.
    Always be prepared to see that the results from any current software might look like a comedy of errors that you need to repair using your own skill. People recommending that you focus on doing it with your own skill are never wrong.
    There's another thread with info about this
    I posted into it here https://audiosex.pro/threads/how-to-get-midi-files-from-a-song.43455/page-2#post-404535
    where I mentioned this software AnthemScore https://www.lunaverus.com/

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020